NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2019, 09:13 AM
Bry@n

Default $202,000 Jeter Card

Looks like people aren't exactly shaken by PWCC and PSA:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Select...-/352816860218
Old 10-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Always interesting to see a closing price like this for a card that (raw at least) I would certainly have passed over if I had seen it in a $1 box at a card show. I have much to learn.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Always interesting to see a closing price like this for a card that (raw at least) I would certainly have passed over if I had seen it in a $1 box at a card show. I have much to learn.
Imagine being the people that scrolled past cheap Microsoft/Apple/Amazon stocks...

What a crazy hobby we participate in. One man's $1 card is another man's $202k card.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 10-18-2019, 10:03 AM
Dave

Do you think that somebody paid sales tax on that card, or is it going straight into "The Vault"?
Old 10-18-2019, 10:20 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
+1
Old 10-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Derek Granger

Holy crap!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Some of the modern collectors buying cards like this might skip past a magee error or even a plank in a box of t206 commons. That's the great thing about this hobby. Something for everyone. Even if guys who collect in one area or era don't understand another.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:30 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Granted, I know nothing when it comes to modern cards, but if I saw this card on a Dealer's Table at the National for over $20, I would have kept walking.

Is this the Wagner of modern day cards, or is there something else that's equally rare/desirable/pricey?
Old 10-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Is this the Wagner of modern day cards, or is there something else that's equally rare/desirable/pricey?
If you're asking if it's trimmed like the Gretzky Wagner…

Yep!

That's way short for a modern card.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

The landscape of card collecting is changing. New generations in...old generations out. Two different perspectives right? Just be glad the hobby is live and well!
Old 10-18-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Granted, I know nothing when it comes to modern cards, but if I saw this card on a Dealer's Table at the National for over $20, I would have kept walking.

The Wagner of modern cards is the 2003 Exquisite Jordan/LeBron Logoman or the 2009 Bowman Mike Trout Superfractor, both 1/1.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Yep!

I don't see anything on any edge suggesting trimming. It also looks like a very old grade when the card likely wasn't worth much.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-18-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't see anything on any edge suggesting trimming. It also looks like a very old grade when the card likely wasn't worth much.
It's really short though...

while I agree that edge quality is the most important, between the card being short and who is auctioning it I think it's questionable.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:26 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
The Wagner of modern cards is the 2003 Exquisite Jordan/LeBron Logoman or the 2009 Bowman Mike Trout Superfractor, both 1/1.
A 1/1 is too rare to be the modern equivalent of the t206 Wagner in my opinion. It would have to be something like this Jeter, or a Lebron, Brady, or Jordan card that can at least become available once every year or two.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:29 PM
David

Just a matter of when, not if that person has Buyers remorse. No long term market for that (imho).
Old 10-18-2019, 04:09 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

So let me get this straight —this is one of 30 of this card. I know it is a PSA10, but it is one of 30. The buyer of this card believes that this is a good investment? Let me think, Ruth rookie or Jeter rookie. I guess I’ll go with the Jeter because his card is shinier. Wow, just wow!
Old 10-18-2019, 04:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's really short though...

while I agree that edge quality is the most important, between the card being short and who is auctioning it I think it's questionable.
Holders are not always uniform. I have cards that look short in the holder but are full size.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-18-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:15 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
So let me get this straight —this is one of 30 of this card. I know it is a PSA10, but it is one of 30. The buyer of this card believes that this is a good investment? Let me think, Ruth rookie or Jeter rookie. I guess I’ll go with the Jeter because his card is shinier. Wow, just wow!
I think the flaw with that thinking is that it is not necessarily an either/or choice. if someone has $200K to drop an individual card, what makes you think they don't also have $200K to drop on a Ruth rookie?
Old 10-18-2019, 05:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Eddie-If I had $200 million to spend on cards I still wouldn't pay $200,000 for that Jeter card (or $20,000 or $2,000 for that matter).
Old 10-18-2019, 06:10 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I saw that this card had ended above 200K and just shook my head. Not because I am more of a vintage person and my thoughts swirled with what vintage cards I could have bought with that money but rather why anyone would pay that kind of money for a card that is so....new.

I know...to each their own but I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around this one. But I guess if I had screw you money spending this kind of cash on a modern card would not be a big deal. I just hope the buyer didn't purchase this card with the intent of flipping it because I cannot see the ceiling being much higher.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Eddie-If I had $200 million to spend on cards I still wouldn't pay $200,000 for that Jeter card (or $20,000 or $2,000 for that matter).
Jay, I am with you here. But not everyone collects stuffy old cards of dead guys, like us. That’s why this hobby is so great - there is something for everyone.

I like when modern cards sell for big money. What’s good for modern is good for the whole hobby.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 10-18-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:48 PM
David Peck

People are over thinking this. There is enough money floating around to support art prices where three have sold publicly for more than 250 million and the highest being 450.3 million.

This is modern art to someone. There are people out there that can pull the trigger on items they want knowing they are going to go to battle with someone else that has just as many resources at their disposal and now it comes down to who wants it most. A badge of honor if you will and you get to hold it in your hand.

Just think if you could wait all week and then launch your snipe of 200k.

Sounds very awesome.

I can't place myself in these shoes. You have to have serious dough to be able to buy cards like this and be able to deal with the repercussions.

At the end of the day baseball cards are king and so the market for cards like this is a lot bigger than people think. There might only be a few that will pay 200k but there are plenty that will pay 100k so in reality no one can question this card being a monster. The question is just where does it go from here? That all depends on supply and that is always the unknown.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 PM
pete ullman

Who’s overthinking this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
People are over thinking this. There is enough money floating around to support art prices where three have sold publicly for more than 250 million and the highest being 450.3 million.

This is modern art to someone. There are people out there that can pull the trigger on items they want knowing they are going to go to battle with someone else that has just as many resources at their disposal and now it comes down to who wants it most. A badge of honor if you will and you get to hold it in your hand.

Just think if you could wait all week and then launch your snipe of 200k.

Sounds very awesome.

I can't place myself in these shoes. You have to have serious dough to be able to buy cards like this and be able to deal with the repercussions.

At the end of the day baseball cards are king and so the market for cards like this is a lot bigger than people think. There might only be a few that will pay 200k but there are plenty that will pay 100k so in reality no one can question this card being a monster. The question is just where does it go from here? That all depends on supply and that is always the unknown.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:58 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Who’s overthinking this???

Just about every person posting. You can't logically think a modern card is worth 200k.

The only answer is the free market and it moves prices to levels that always seem unbelievable. Many times the sharpest movers higher just go higher.

None of us have a clue if this a good price or a bad price. If the buyer is happy at this moment that is all that matters.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:27 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Just about every person posting. You can't logically think a modern card is worth 200k.

The only answer is the free market and it moves prices to levels that always seem unbelievable. Many times the sharpest movers higher just go higher.

None of us have a clue if this a good price or a bad price. If the buyer is happy at this moment that is all that matters.
Whether it's Ruth or jeter, it's all just pieces of cardboard. There is no actual value in any of this in a traditional sense.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:39 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Whether it's Ruth or jeter, it's all just pieces of cardboard. There is no actual value in any of this in a traditional sense.
Exactly.

I have read numerous times people predicting the demise of vintage in the coming years due to lack of collectors from the next generation having an interest. It is possible. I don't think it is probable but the risk exists.

The risk exists here that these modern cards that have exploded go higher. You can get on EBAY and find a 1951 Mantle Bowman anytime. Many would argue it is a much better card. But you can find one.

If you want this card you might have to wait years to land one. When things are hard to get people want them more. It is just human nature.

These type cards appeal to just that and why I am never shocked when the prices go for big numbers.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Tony

Quote:
Jeter will always be a debatable figure from a historical standpoint. Not debating historical significance but I would bet if you asked any Yankee fan born after 1970 who their all time favorite Yankee is, a strong majority of them would say Derek Jeter. Every New Yorker in their 40s grew up with Derek Jeter. 4 championships from 1996-2000 and Jeter was the center of it all. Just given the modern media landscape the Jeter name is probably bigger than any pre war type player to the generic baseball fan. Again not debating baseball statistics but derek Jeter definitely has historical significance. I think we’ll see it again in December when he’s the second unanimous HOFer and in July when Cooperstown has the largest attendance ever, as anticipated. That’s a lot of fans and a lot of money to follow. Jeter, Jordan, Brady different level to the modern investor.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Bill

Like Huell Howser would say: "That's amazing!"

So, between BGS and PSA it looks like 21 of these cards have been graded so far. Makes ya wonder how many of those remaining 9 cards are in Gem or even BGS "Pristine" condition. Just imagine what a BGS 10 Black Label might sell for? A cool half-million, maybe more? Simply B O N K E R S!
Old 10-18-2019, 10:07 PM
Bill

Quote:
+1

For me, it's all the various "rare" Jeter cards printed in the 90's that makes these prices a bit silly. Like the '93 SP Foil Jeter card, for example. Didn't a PSA 10 sell for $99,000 last year? And there are 22 of them graded 10 by PSA .... oh, and not to mention, there have been 253 graded 9.5 by BGS!!!

How about the ones that haven't been graded yet? Maybe a dozen more PSA 10's? Perhaps some BGS Black Labels yet to be graded?

Last edited by JunkyJoe; 10-18-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Fred

Quote:
or 20 bucks.

Absolutely mind boggling.

For $202K I'd have every spotted tie OJ and still have money to buy a bunch of other cool cards.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Exactly.

I have read numerous times people predicting the demise of vintage in the coming years due to lack of collectors from the next generation having an interest. It is possible. I don't think it is probable but the risk exists.

The risk exists here that these modern cards that have exploded go higher. You can get on EBAY and find a 1951 Mantle Bowman anytime. Many would argue it is a much better card. But you can find one.

If you want this card you might have to wait years to land one. When things are hard to get people want them more. It is just human nature.

These type cards appeal to just that and why I am never shocked when the prices go for big numbers.
I agree completely with the bold excerpt. Everyone collects differently. I am a tiny, tiny fish in the hobby, but I love cards that are rare and might pop up once a year or once every few years, as opposed 1951B Mantle cards or T206 Cobb cards or 1933 Goudey Ruth cards that can be found any time. That doesn't make it right or wrong, just a different collecting interest.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-18-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I agree completely with the bold excerpt. Everyone collects differently. I am a tiny, tiny fish in the hobby, but I love cards that are rare and might pop up once a year or once every few years, as opposed 1951B Mantle cards or T206 Cobb cards or 1933 Goudey Ruth cards that can be found any time. That doesn't make it right or wrong, just a different collecting interest.
My buddy Rob (WCK) a year or so ago landed a Frank Gotch card he had been trying to land for fifteen years.

T229 Kopec Cigarettes Sports Champions Frank Gotch Card

He was a nervous wreck all week and then launched a no lose snipe that ended up being three times what he paid.

This is the kind of hunt that drives people to spend their hard earned money on cards.

While some, myself included find this kind of rarity more exciting, others would rather something from modern times and that is okay too. Derek Jeter is not some rookie that hasn't played a game yet or a star in their third year that may get injured. He is a legend and is cards are reflecting legend values.

I think the biggest appeal to most modern cards is that the subject is still alive and so you own stock in them. You own a piece of their legacy and people love that. When I showed Ric Flair a copy of his 1982 Wrestling All Stars in a Gem Mint 10 he thought it was awesome. He has no desire to collect cards but he likes high quality stuff and he respects the fact that there are fans out there that seek out his collectibles.

We haven't been in contact recently but Evan Mathis and I used to text back and forth frequently and he tracked down his best cards. I would too! How cool would that be to see yourself on a football card and then go find them in their best condition. Sounds amazing.

Trying to rationalize how others collect is a pointless exercise. Everyone is different and I have always said there is no right or wrong way. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about the rest.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:34 AM
Patrick N.

Default We

We don't know if this is someone who is playing shenanigans to establish a new high price on this card so they can sell theirs later down the road for a higher price.

I guess artificial scarcity is no different than real scarcity?
Old 10-19-2019, 08:07 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidan View Post
Just a matter of when, not if that person has Buyers remorse. No long term market for that (imho).
That was the exact same thing that was said on here when the Michael Jordan PMG card sold for crazy money a year or two ago. Then it was revealed that the buyer was Nat Turner.

We don't know who the buyer of the Jeter card is; maybe it is Nat Turner or maybe it is someone else. But I don't understand at all how you can say the buyer will absolutely have buyer's remorse over dropping a couple hundred grand when there are people at the top levels of the hobby with a net worth measured in eight or nine figures.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That was the exact same thing that was said on here when the Michael Jordan PMG card sold for crazy money a year or two ago. Then it was revealed that the buyer was Nat Turner.

We don't know who the buyer of the Jeter card is; maybe it is Nat Turner or maybe it is someone else. But I don't understand at all how you can say the buyer will absolutely have buyer's remorse over dropping a couple hundred grand when there are people at the top levels of the hobby with a net worth measured in eight or nine figures.
Yep. Relatively speaking, 200K for the winner might be like spending 2K, or even 200, for others of us.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:23 AM
David Peck

Quote:

Exactly.

Just a few weeks ago Justin Bieber posted some of his Pokemon PSA graded cards. I just looked it up and it is estimated his net worth is 265 million. If someone in this position wants a card they can pay whatever they want.

The other thing that people forget is that the government is going to take half. Enjoy the funds while you can because you could lose half on every purchase and your heirs will be in the same place.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:15 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Yep!

I believe Brent Mastro said, "it's the finest example of a mini known to exist."
Old 10-19-2019, 09:22 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I think an employee won it
Old 10-19-2019, 10:40 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidan View Post
These types if comments are common around here every time a modern card goes for big money. I don't understand the mentality at all. Rather than criticize someone for how they spend their money why not just be glad another segment of the hobby is doing well?

Just because you, or other board members don't understand the significance of this card does not mean there is no long term market for it.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
OMFG! There are no words
Old 10-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

I am sure we've all bought cards because we liked them, not necessarily because we thought they were a great investment.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Bob Davies

This reminds me of a T-shirt I once got as a gift, as an avid golfer. It was a picture of a Herman cartoon Two guys are holding golf clubs, while a single guy in the background is carrying a fishing rod.

The one "Herman" golfer says to the other "Can you imagine some idiot getting up at this time of the morning just to go fishing?"
Old 10-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am sure we've all bought cards because we liked them, not necessarily because we thought they were a great investment.
Have to agree here. It isn’t all about investment and it certainly isn’t all about whether it makes sense to us. When you have to have a card many times you disregard the logic of others and you just get it if you can afford it. Certainly doesn’t have to make sense to anyone else. You can argue whether or not it is worth it or not but it may not matter a bit to the buyer. Or it may. All rhetorical discussions.
But that certainly is a lot for really any card. It is fun to follow these auctions and often see them just explode right before the hammer
Old 10-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

On a comparatively trivial scale, I've done it a number of times myself, paid stupid money for a card I'd been looking for for years and could not be sure another one would come along. Mostly on the nonsports side where there really is a good chance you may never see a particular card again.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-19-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:55 AM

I think it’s crazy that people treat baseball cards as an investment. I expense every card I buy. When I croak whoever gets them will find out whether they appreciated or depreciated.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'd definitely fish it out of a dollar box...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
The other thing that people forget is that the government is going to take half. Enjoy the funds while you can because you could lose half on every purchase and your heirs will be in the same place.
HALF? David, how do you figure HALF?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:22 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
HALF? David, how do you figure HALF?
I stand corrected. With the Trump tax cuts they lowered the top rate to 40%.

It should have been clear I was referencing someone like Bieber and with his net worth as a single guy the first 11.4 million would be sheltered and all other assets taxed at 40% on death.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 10-19-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:00 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyJoe View Post
+1

For me, it's all the various "rare" Jeter cards printed in the 90's that makes these prices a bit silly. Like the '93 SP Foil Jeter card, for example. Didn't a PSA 10 sell for $99,000 last year? And there are 22 of them graded 10 by PSA .... oh, and not to mention, there have been 253 graded 9.5 by BGS!!!

How about the ones that haven't been graded yet? Maybe a dozen more PSA 10's? Perhaps some BGS Black Labels yet to be graded?
I started a thread in May 2018 about the Jeter 93 SP PSA 10 that sold for nearly $100k, and part of what I noted was how I expected more of them to be graded, diluting the PSA 10 population. The population at the time was 22, and it still is. So much for that hypothesis.

I'll echo the sentiments that it is a great hobby because people can enjoy it in many different ways, and that a healthy and robust modern market is likely a good sign for the vintage market as well.

And it's also great that both the modern and vintage collectors can each salivate over a card with a significant level of scarcity of a sure-fire HOF shortstop who is strongly associated with a single team that sells for six figures and it's not even a rookie card - and all the while those collectors are ogling different cards from different eras.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
I stand corrected. With the Trump tax cuts they lowered the top rate to 40%.

It should have been clear I was referencing someone like Bieber and with his net worth as a single guy the first 11.4 million would be sheltered and all other assets taxed at 40% on death.
David, it is my understanding that the current, top federal income tax rate is 37% - for an individual taxpayer, this rate applies to taxable income in excess of $510,300: https://www.quickenloans.com/blog/fe...e-tax-brackets So, even with the addition of a state income tax (for those states that have income taxes), very few, if any, folks are going to pay 50%.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.