NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2002, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default Elliot - Help Please

Posted By: Andy Baran

Elliot,

I have sat by silently (which is extremely difficult for me) as I have watched this board deteriorate. As you know, I am a big fan of the board, and spend way too much time on it. I was hoping that the issues would resolve themself. Rather than that positive outcome, we are starting to lose regular posters, who are also good people. Meanwhile, people of questionable character continue to post offensive remarks. I am not in any way criticizing your work here. In fact, you have done an admirable job. People need to be responsible for their own actions. It is one thing to have a disagreement (like Jay and I recently did), but the content does not need to become a personal attack. You should not have to waste your personal time editing and deleting posts. I know that is not what you signed up for when you started this page. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN.

Here is what I propose. Is there a way to keep this board up, but change it so that you need to be a registered user, with a real name and verified e-mail address? If so, rather than having to edit/delete offensive posts, you can just ban the offender. I know to some this may sound like censorship, but I look at it this way: It should be a privilage to participate in a board of experts like this. Abuse that privilege, and LOSE IT. If we continue to lose some of the personalities of this board, the board will lose some of it's value to the hobby.

Do others agree?

Old 09-02-2002, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I agree with Andy's proposal: if people want to post, they should be registered (and not with aliases).

That said, I think it's important that the board remain accessible to non-registered users, as well. I've had several email correspondences with "lurkers" (non-posters) that make me realize that privatizing the board might exclude people who are legitimately interested.

Old 09-02-2002, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

There must be a way to work these things out.
Andy and Bill sug´s are on the right track.

Let´s stop the alias thing...

Old 09-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ty_cobb

As a previous member of the Full Count board,
I find the anonymity argument weak. When the
jackals get going, it is just further ammo
for their attacks. I have seen prominent
collectors driven off, having their name
and email for all to see didn't help lessen
attacks against them at all.
I am not averse to the forum administrator
having my contact info, but some posters
here cannot and will not behave themselves.
For example as soon as Koos has my ebay info,
he then uses said info for his next attack.

Old 09-02-2002, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

......or eventually either everybody will stay away or Elliot will get fed up with all the crap and take the board down.

I think hosting the board was a great bit of volunteering by Elliot, but I certainly don't expect him to have to be a full-time board policeman. This is not the Jerry Springer Show; it's a forum to exchange vintage card information. Let's stick to what the board is supposed to be about.

I think the board should be open to posts from everyone who registers with a real name and email address. There's nothing wrong with disagreements and that's what can be so great about a forum like this. But I fail to see the need to make personal attacks a part of the interaction. First post from anyone that smacks of libel or defamation gets a warning and the second post gets you voted off the island.

Let's not let a good thing disappear again, people.

Old 09-02-2002, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Here is why I think that we need to use our real names. If we are allowed to use an Alias, after getting banned for being a jerk, a poster could just create a new Alias, and we are right back where we started. Besides, if this board is being used correctly, I'm not sure why anyone would need to hide behind an Alias.

Old 09-02-2002, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Elliot---As I said to you when we spoke on line yesterday, I think you do a fantastic job with the board. To try to keep such a divergent group of personalities happy is an impossible task. I commend you for your work and hope this flare up won't make you second guess what you are doing. The fact that so many people spend as much time as they do on the board speaks volumes to how important the forum you have created is to people's lives.
Andy, I hope you took my comments today in the tounge-in-cheek way that they were meant. The only thing I was really serious about was the Yankee rooting.

Old 09-02-2002, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Bill,

I agree with you completely. I just wasn't clear enough on my post. I think that everyone should be allowed to view the posts. But in order to participate, you must follow the criteria:

1.) Be willing to use your real name (posters the e-mail addresses should only be available to other registered posters.

2.) You do not need to be knowledgeable to be allowed to post, just respectful and fair.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-02-2002, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Jay,

My point exactly. It is okay to disagree on a subject as we did. We both had facts to support our arguments, and we were both passionate in our defense. I thought the discussion was great. I also hope that others may have learned something about Peck & Snyder cards through our discussion. Bottom line was that I don't think that either one of us was disrespectful to the other. It is fine to disagree, just don't make it personal.

Old 09-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Koos

...thread, I had ALREADY SAID WHEN THE BOARD EXPERIENCED ITS FIRST "OUTAGE" last week. Am I correct Elliot, or do all these posts sound like sound bytes taken from my long post to YOU?

Old 09-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

While I will pop up in on the chat area, as it's usually populated by the good guys, I will avoid the regular board as long as Koos is allowed to post. This isn't a case of censorship, this me making a choice. Anyone who claims that Koos is an asset to this board had better get his (or her) head checked.

Old 09-02-2002, 08:44 PM
Administrator

It has been said, but there is a new urgency. Board members are starting to drop like flies, and I for one think that it is avoidable.