NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Show Your Henry Yee Winnings

No, it's not a typo.

I'm really curious what forum members went after, given the wide variety of stuff that ended last night - especially the vintage Yankees photos;e.g-the 'Murderers Row'.

Last night I made my first Hyee purchase in over ten years, but it was esoteric and would be of no interest to anyone here. But please show your stuff, as I am stuck waiting by the door for a golf bag to arrive, and almost bored enough to read a book.

Ben, please do not gloat.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-04-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:38 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
No, it's not a typo.
Scott, I'm laughing out loud right now, because my first thought when I saw you were the author of the post was, "This has to be some kind of joke, right?" I for one am curious as to what photo you picked up, esoteric or otherwise.

I finally picked up something from Henry last night, probably the only piece that was of interest to me AND in my price range right now. Plenty of pieces of interest that went well beyond my price range though, often by multiples. My list of pre-set snipes that never went off is laughable to look at in comparison to the final prices.

This one is a shot of Burleigh Grimes with the Louisville Colonels in 1936. Original negative from the Burke/Brace archive. I probably would have bid the same regardless of who the subject was as I've been on the hunt for an original American Association negative from the Burke era for research purposes, but it being a HOFer that wound up being affordable was a nice bonus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Southworth1.jpg (22.3 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg Southworth2.jpg (12.5 KB, 482 views)
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM

Default Winnings

I loved the Ruth composite not only is it historic but it is a Type I in my mind because of it being a composite (IMHO, the type classification system fails here in accurately describing what the photo is).

The Ford was a good buy because it was used for his 54 Topps card

I paid more than I wanted to on the Jackie but I like the image

I liked that I got the Gibson as I will not be able to afford a type I anytime soon and you just do not see many photos of him Type II or not

I was surprised at a few of the winning bids in particular the Ruth Bowing out Photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Babe Ruth Composite.jpg (74.1 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg Jackie Robinson Clubhouse.jpg (60.2 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg Josh Gibson Batting Type II.jpg (47.3 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg Whitey Ford 1954 Topps Card.jpg (74.4 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg 1st Black All Stars.jpg (50.2 KB, 473 views)

Last edited by bobfreedman; 11-04-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Banned

I was outbid by $20 on the murderer's row photo..lol
Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Scott, I'm laughing out loud right now, because my first thought when I saw you were the author of the post was, "This has to be some kind of joke, right?" I for one am curious as to what photo you picked up, esoteric or otherwise.
Okay, you caught me - I posted partially because I knew it would make Ben snort his coffee.

I got the Willie Hoppe photo. I have so many classic photos of him that this one needed to be added.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-29-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
I loved the Ruth composite not only is it historic but it is a Type I in my mind because of it being a composite (IMHO, the type classification system fails here in accurately describing what the photo is).
How, exactly, does the Type system fail here Bob? I just don't get this at all.
It is just a classification system. You have a very rare Type 3 within that system. What is wrong with that or the system? This way of thinking makes no sense to me. Clearly the market showed it was rare bringing 4 figures. NEVER should this be considered a type 1 as A) it is created in 1919 when Ruth was getting huge recognition(using a rookie 1915 photo) B) created off dupe neg. Nothing failed, it is just that you have an better understanding(or not) of the system and know what is important to you. If you are happy with rare TYPE 3 paying less than rare TYPE 1s.. that is great!
I could kick this dead horse all day long. This is a perfect example, though, of why there is a need for the type system(separation btwn photos). The original image of this Ruth was taken/developed in 1915(as a rookie) with his teammates(TYPE 1). One brought over 12k in REA twice. Yours, though rare, was developed later(after he broke records) and made off a dupe neg(not the quality/clarity). How could you ever consider these two photos equal? If you do, that is great.. you will get a lot of great photos for “great prices”.
I will say, however, that yours is very cool as it shows the two players side by side and is a historical "work of art"(dare I say) in composing them together. That is where the high value(1200 plus) came into play and rightfully so...worth every penny IMO.

I also find value in early type 3 composites. As you may or may not recall, I purchased a 1915 Rookie Ruth portrait/composite made from dupe negs put together. It is really rare but I would much rather have the type 1 of Ruth that sold in heritage for 10k made off the original negative. I would, however, rather have my photo than a type 2 created in say..1927. Many may not agree as a type 2 prob has better clarity off the original neg(like a type 1). But then again, if the dupe was done poorly.. I might reconsider. It all depends which makes it fun! There is one constant for me though....I LIKE EARLY/OLD/ as close to the date when the lensman snapped that photo as possible. The image clarity is also very important to me. Hence, TYPE 1 is king to me within the TYPE classification system.

That being said, you clearly have GREAT taste in photos which everyone can see. I love the Jackie! KILLER KILLER JACKIE. And I LOVE the negro league players together. Congrats Bob!

Scotty.. I am very proud of you my friend. You all grows up! haha! just funning! That is a great photo for a pool room!

Lance, I love when you buy things for research purposes. We all benefit!!

MY 1915 ROOKIE TYPE 3 Which I am very happy with for the price:

TYPE 3 1919 off dupe neg in Henry's auction

TYPE 1 1915 off original neg

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 11-04-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: forgot about my boy Lance
Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Does it count to be the underbidder in 5 auctions?
Yesterday was a big Zip Zero Zilch Nada for me.
Here's hoping tonight goes better.

How's this for a silver lining....
The only good thing about not winning anything in Henry's auction is that I'll have more money for Rhys' next auction.

Very nice stuff everyone.
Bob,
I really love that Jackie pic. Just a great image. Congrats.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstan View Post

how's this for a silver lining....
The only good thing about not winning anything in henry's auction is that i'll have more money for rhys' next auction.
everybody wins!! Haha

Old 11-04-2013, 02:54 PM

I bid on a bunch but only won a handful. Some of the ones I REALLY want are yet to finish though so we'll see what happens.

Rhys
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I bid on a bunch but only won a handful. Some of the ones I REALLY want are yet to finish though so we'll see what happens.

Rhys
There are some incredible ones coming up;
a lot of historical shots outside of baseball I am really interested in seeing realized prices. It is fun to see the photo hobby grow and new guys get into it. These Yee auctions are fun to watch as it can go from zero to 60 in 1.0.

Last edited by Forever Young; 11-04-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=Forever Young;1203071]How, exactly, does the Type system fail here Bob? I just don't get this at all.
It is just a classification system. You have a very rare Type 3 within that system. What is wrong with that or the system? This way of thinking makes no sense to me. Clearly the market showed it was rare bringing 4 figures. NEVER should this be considered a type 1 as A) it is created in 1919 when Ruth was getting huge recognition(using a rookie 1915 photo) B) created off dupe neg. Nothing failed, it is just that you have an better understanding(or not) of the system and know what is important to you. If you are happy with rare TYPE 3 paying less than rare TYPE 1s.. that is great!
I could kick this dead horse all day long. This is a perfect example, though, of why there is a need for the type system(separation btwn photos). The original image of this Ruth was taken/developed in 1915(as a rookie) with his teammates(TYPE 1). One brought over 12k in REA twice. Yours, though rare, was developed later(after he broke records) and made off a dupe neg(not the quality/clarity). How could you ever consider these two photos equal? If you do, that is great.. you will get a lot of great photos for “great prices”.
I will say, however, that yours is very cool as it shows the two players side by side and is a historical "work of art"(dare I say) in composing them together. That is where the high value(1200 plus) came into play and rightfully so...worth every penny IMO.

I also find value in early type 3 composites. As you may or may not recall, I purchased a 1915 Rookie Ruth portrait/composite made from dupe negs put together. It is really rare but I would much rather have the type 1 of Ruth that sold in heritage for 10k made off the original negative. I would, however, rather have my photo than a type 2 created in say..1927. Many may not agree as a type 2 prob has better clarity off the original neg(like a type 1). But then again, if the dupe was done poorly.. I might reconsider. It all depends which makes it fun! There is one constant for me though....I LIKE EARLY/OLD/ as close to the date when the lensman snapped that photo as possible. The image clarity is also very important to me. Hence, TYPE 1 is king to me within the TYPE classification system.

That being said, you clearly have GREAT taste in photos which everyone can see. I love the Jackie! KILLER KILLER JACKIE. And I LOVE the negro league players together. Congrats Bob!

Ben, I understand where you are coming from but, I think it fails in what some peoples perceptions of what is valuable and what is not. The perception is that for a photo to be valuable it needs to be a type I, that may or may not be your perception (I think it is safe to say it is not for you) but I think that is the mainstream thinking. This photo is obviously not worth 10's of thousands of dollars like your originals but, I do believe it has far greater value than the what the piece was sold for just my opinion and I don't think we need to debate this.

Last edited by bobfreedman; 11-04-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Jeff

Default 1967 Maris Negative

Blown out of the water on several others:

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

[QUOTE=bobfreedman;1203145]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
How, exactly, does the Type system fail here Bob? I just don't get this at all.

Ben, I understand where you are coming from but, I think it fails in what some peoples perceptions of what is valuable and what is not. The perception is that for a photo to be valuable it needs to be a type I, that may or may not be your perception (I think it is safe to say it is not for you) but I think that is the mainstream thinking. This photo is obviously not worth 10's of thousands of dollars like your originals but, I do believe it has far greater value than the what the piece was sold for just my opinion and I don't think we need to debate this.
Fair enough Bob. I do think your photo is a wonderful one at a nice price.
Because you feel ike it went low, has nothing to do with a flaw in the type system(makes zero sense to me-I just do not understand this thought process) IMO.
It is up to the buying public to determine what a photo is worth. Henry's description indicated exactly what this photo was. The psa slap clearly says the year(1919) it was created.
The collecting public(make no mistake..more HIGH END baseball photo guys are following this auction than any other photo auction out there) thought was worth less than you did. If one other person valued it as you do(and had the money-key), it would have went way higher obviously.
Heck, it happens to me on just about every photo I win so I do know the feeling haha!
You got a great photo and a price you are happy with which is fantastic! It is truly historical and a great pickup! It is a Type 3 example worth a lot of money and the market clearly agreed. I am with you in that there are some great buys on old, period Type 3 photos just like there is on Type 1 and Type 2s.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Blown out of the water on several others:

Cool Jeff.. I have a soft spot in my heart for Maris. These color slides are beautiful. I bought some in Henry's last auction... love them.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Banned

Delete

Last edited by JoeyF1981; 11-04-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: error
Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Banned

delete

Last edited by JoeyF1981; 11-04-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: error
Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Adam B

Default 1962 Al Kaline Color Slide Transparency

Love the photos keep 'em coming all. I am mostly a watcher of Henry's auctions and love looking at the many fantastic (and often iconic) images that I only wish I could afford. Collecting photos is not my main point of interest but I just had to have this portrait of a young Al Kaline. This is a color slide and I want to get a photo framed. I assume I can take this slide to a professional photographer who can print some images without damaging the slide? Any advice about how I should go about this would be much appreciated. I doubt dropping it off at the local CVS is the way to go. At any rate, I want a nice image but dont want to risk any damageto the slide. Please excuse my ignorance on the subject. Thanks. Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaline Photo.jpg (50.2 KB, 342 views)
Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Jeff

Adam,

I have made many prints from color slides at Costco actually and never had a slide damaged.

Here are examples of a couple of prints that I have made there. These are 5x7s with a border and matte finish. I have never tried a real large print. I am not sure what kind of resolution you might lose.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-04-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Joe D in 1937

Old 11-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Adam B

Quote:
Adam,

I have made many prints from color slides at Costco actually and never had a slide damaged.

Here are examples of a couple of prints that I have made there. These are 5x7s with a border and matte finish. I have never tried a real large print. I am not sure what kind of resolution you might lose.

Jeff Thanks for the info. It really puts me at ease. I am glad you have never had any problems. I want to go with a 5 x 7 and also use the border matte finish. They look great. Adam
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Finally.
So I was finally able to pull down one of Lou from Henry. I love the human shots.

Lou and his mom.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:54 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Adam,

Jeff,
You shouldn't lose any detail enlarging from a slide transparency. Even though it's small, a transparency should be the same quality as a negative. If the picture itself is sharp, you be able to blown it up huge, like you would a film negative.
Great pic of Maris, BTW. I think he was under-appreciated.

Best,
Mark

Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Ryan

Default Burke Negatives

I was only able to land a couple of cheap George Burke negatives of Mickey Cochrane and Early Wynn. If I had landed everything I bid on I'd probably be divorced by now.

Hey Lance - I'm just noticing now that I'm not seeing the usual Burke/Brace catalog markings on these negatives. What are your thoughts about that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240b.jpg (61.8 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 240a.jpg (37.1 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 250b.jpg (65.4 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 250a.jpg (31.4 KB, 316 views)
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 PM

Default Two more

Henry did not mention that next to Ruth is Cobb in his civilian clothes because he was late to the HOF ceremonies - can you imagine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 Grand Opening Baseball HOF.jpg (80.8 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg Ty Cobb Bat on Shoulder.jpg (57.9 KB, 300 views)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Jeff

Default Won a Few More Tonight (Lost Even More :( )

Last edited by HRBAKER; 11-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Graig Kreindler

Jeff, you won some KILLER shots. That Cepeda portrait is a real beaut. Congrats!

Graig
Old 11-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Banned

Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Banned

Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsher View Post
I was only able to land a couple of cheap George Burke negatives of Mickey Cochrane and Early Wynn. If I had landed everything I bid on I'd probably be divorced by now.

Hey Lance - I'm just noticing now that I'm not seeing the usual Burke/Brace catalog markings on these negatives. What are your thoughts about that?
Of the Burke negatives that I've handled, many had the file coding, but there were a good number that did not. The presence of the coding is a good indicator that the photo was shot by Burke or Brace, but the absence of it does not preclude it from being their work. My guess, and this is just a guess, would be that the negatives without coding weren't the ones he pulled for producing prints of those players when they were requested. If the negative got filed in that player's folder (or envelope, or whatever he used) and was never pulled out to make a print, no need to identify which folder it should be returned to. Again though, that's just conjecture.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Graig Kreindler

Here's my one win thus far:

This is gonna make for one hell of a painting. Or MANY paintings, even.

Color me excited. These Newman negatives are absolutely incredible.

Graig
Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Default Kreindlercolor

That fantastic Phillies photo has your name written all over it. It was entrapment...you had to buy it!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Here's my one win thus far:

This is gonna make for one hell of a painting. Or MANY paintings, even.

Color me excited. These Newman negatives are absolutely incredible.

Graig
Graig,

Terrific photo! Who is on the mound for the Phillies?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Graig,

Terrific photo! Who is on the mound for the Phillies?
looks like Rick Wise; would be fun to do some investigative work to determine the actual date of the game

great photo!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

It could be Wise and that would make this photo from 1966 (the only year he wore number 28 before switching to 38).
Old 11-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Dave

Love that scoreboard shot. Those Newman transparencies are pretty great.

Haven't scored any myself. Logged in a few snipes that didn't even register.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:53 PM
Todd Schultz

Beautiful game action Phillies negative, Graig.

The pitcher is Pedro Ramos, and this is from the first game of a doubleheader played May 10, 1967, won by the Braves 7-2. Ironically, Ramos had just come into the game in relief following Wise (who had pitched a perfect 7th in his only inning of work) and saw his first pitch taken deep by Joe Torre, Torre's second tater of the game (Hank hit one too). Strangely, three pitches had been thrown to Carty but the scoreboard still had not registered Torre's run.

Edited to change: the game was the nightcap (obviously) of the doubleheader
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 11-06-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: error
Old 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Bill Boyd

Scott and Graig,

Quick check out the scoreboard showed Braves were playing the Phillies(only NL team not mentioned) and roster of Braves lineup narrowed year to 1967. John Boozerand Pedro Ramos both wore #28 for Phillies in "67, and on May 10, 1967, White Sox beat the Orioles 13-1. So there is your date.

Billyb

Todd,
I see you beat me to the punch by a few minutes.....lol good job

Last edited by billyb; 11-06-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:31 AM

Todd and Billy,

Thanks for identifying Pedro Ramos as the pitcher on the mound. Great detective work, BTW...
It's a beauty!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Graig Kreindler

GREAT detective work, guys! Thanks for putting so much effort into it. To be honest, I didn't even give it much thought, as I was just in love with the image. I figured that finding a date for it would just be an added bonus.

And entrapment or no, I'm gonna paint the sh*t out of it!

Bravo!

Graig
Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post

And entrapment or no, I'm gonna paint the sh*t out of it!

Graig
Sounds messy!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Belltown Vintage

Given that the thread had taken a 'negative' turn, I was grateful for Graig's 'transparency', but the posts have now gone to [censored].

I picked up what is supposedly a gone negative/slide scanner yesterday - looking forward to seeing what it does with stuff like this. Watch out, you acetate and glass collectors!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

i tried to get that 1950 joplin pre-rookie Mantle photo with psa/dna letter.
Placed what i thought was a good bid, no way i thought it go over 500, indeed fetch around 710. Whomever got it, it was a nice a Mantle addition
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1950-Vi...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Given that the thread had taken a 'negative' turn, I was grateful for Graig's 'transparency', but the posts have now gone to [censored].

I picked up what is supposedly a gone negative/slide scanner yesterday - looking forward to seeing what it does with stuff like this. Watch out, you acetate and glass collectors!
Oh Scotty.. you witty. Two pickups now?? Holy smokes!

God bless teh poor man who buys and hangs this Dame on his wall... ooofta.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ABSTRACT-Vin...item3a86b39f09

Old 11-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Bill Boyd

Ben,
Now I know the meaning of the term "ain't nothing like a dame".....thank God.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Default Ruth

Ruth Underwear Premium Photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth front.jpg (35.1 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Ruth back.jpg (13.6 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by HBroll; 11-08-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Craig

Default Newman Slides

I 'm still not exactly sure why, but I have been absolutely floored by the quality and content of the Newman color slides in Henry's last two auctions. The man is a genius (well, both men are!).

Although I have a number of 35 mm transparencies and negatives, as many of you know, my main focus has been primarily on vintage Mantle photos. Well, in Henry's current auction, I finally decided to briefly reset my priorities and focus for once on some of the many 50's Newman color transparencies of the Mick.

Don't really know what I'll do with them (have no interest in making prints, etc.) but as historical color documentation of Mickey posed and in action at the stadium in the 50's along with Newman's influence on this paradigm shift in sports photography I think I made the right choice.

Here are two action shots from 1956: The first batting RH and the second an unusual fielding image at third base. I'll post my favorites next.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 MM Newman.jpg (52.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 1956MM Fielding.jpg (77.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBroll View Post
Ruth
Nice Ruth!!

Here are my two:

1) Babe Ruth by Burke as a Brave(To go along with my Yankee and Dodger portrait).

2) 1925 Babe Ruth with the "bellyache heard around the world" I love this as it shows how diff it was back then; Babe severely ill yet allowed the media in and found time for the kids. Neither would happen today and this encapsulates what Ruth was to me. He was stricken by a VD while playing hard yet had the biggest heart when it came to kids.

I mean.. look at Ruth's face..haha! that kid sure looks proud though.

Last edited by Forever Young; 11-08-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen in Time View Post
I 'm still not exactly sure why, but I have been absolutely floored by the quality and content of the Newman color slides in Henry's last two auctions. The man is a genius (well, both men are!).

Although I have a number of 35 mm transparencies and negatives, as many of you know, my main focus has been primarily on vintage Mantle photos. Well, in Henry's current auction, I finally decided to briefly reset my priorities and focus for once on some of the many 50's Newman color transparencies of the Mick.

Don't really know what I'll do with them (have no interest in making prints, etc.) but as historical color documentation of Mickey posed and in action at the stadium in the 50's along with Newman's influence on this paradigm shift in sports photography I think I made the right choice.

Here are two action shots from 1956: The first batting RH and the second an unusual fielding image at third base. I'll post my favorites next.

Craig
Craig,

I bid on these too but my bids didn't even register! I am pretty sure I know what teh other two are if they are slides.. I wanted both of them and again ..my bids didn't register. Nice going! Beautiful.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen in Time View Post

Craig
Craig,

I bid on these too but my bids didn't even register! I am pretty sure I know what teh other two are if they are slides.. I wanted both of them and again ..my bids didn't register. Nice going! Beautiful.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Craig,

Ben,

Thanks. I'm sure you know the other two which I'll post here in a minute. Love both Ruths, but the "bellyache heard around the world" is absolutely fantastic! Just a wonderful moment "frozen in time" and , as you point out, says a lot about the Babe.

I just could not help myself on these. Stunning is the only word I can think of.
Both from 1956.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 Posed LH YS.jpg (59.7 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 Portrait copy.jpg (51.3 KB, 191 views)