NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2021, 07:14 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
I am one of those National dealers that says "no" as soon as you ask me for a trade. With booth fee, employees, hotel, food, and gas, I'm deep in the hole long before the show even starts. I don't need cards to sell on eBay or shows down the line, I have a huge inventory. If it is a post-war card, I always have five to 10 of these cards anyone offers to trade. I need cash to cover my expenses. I need cash at the end of the show to determine whether it was a successful show and whether it was worth my time. I also need cash for all the deals I have lined up after the show.

In addition, in my 40 years of setting up at shows I can only recall maybe two occasions where the trade was worth my while. Usually someone will offer me four or five 1963 or 1964 Topps baseball league leaders cards in exchange for my 1963 Mantle. I mean, nine times out of 10, it is just a horrible offer.

I just don't bother any more, especially at the National, where I will probably lose a paying customer while wasting my time with someone offering a trade. You've got just a short time to catch the attention of the paying customer who will move on to the next table if you're too busy or seemingly ignoring them.

On the rare occasions I do engage in a trade, I have to consider the amount of money I have into the card and how much money I foresee earning on the eventual sale of the new card I obtain in the trade. It just rarely, if ever, works out in my favor.

Here is my advice for someone who believes they are offering something really good for trade: don't ask the dealer if he trades. The word "trade" is a red flag for dealers. Instead, show the dealer the card before saying anything and ask him if he is interested. If you have something good, not league leader cards, then the dealer will work something out with you.
Love it! Love getting the perspective from the other side of the table. Collectors don't want to hear this but it's the reality of the situation, lots of additional costs involved for the dealer.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:32 AM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Here is my advice for someone who believes they are offering something really good for trade: don't ask the dealer if he trades. The word "trade" is a red flag for dealers. Instead, show the dealer the card before saying anything and ask him if he is interested. If you have something good, not league leader cards, then the dealer will work something out with you.
This is very helpful. Thank you for the perspective, Tony!
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 09-06-2021, 07:38 AM

Default trade at shows

To Tony Gordon, et al-

I am amazed (but not surprised) by your attitude. A potential customer-
someone who could BUY from you in addition to asking to trade- is a
"waste of time"? Hmmm...think I found a problem. Judging a card(s)
before you have even seen it, and telling the holder which words to use
(don't use the word "trade"?) Think I found a second problem...

Bottom line is that offering to trade is a common practice at shows and on
sites like this one. The holder of the cards doesn't have ESP and, frankly,
does not care about a seller's expense list. All the collector knows is to ask
the dealer if they trade. It's not an insult, in my case it's not an attempt to
defraud the dealer, and it certainly isn't a "waste of time" merely to ask a
simple question that could benefit the dealer(!!). I buy a lot of cards and
trade as well, and one thing I've learned for sure is this: a dealer who
thinks he can dictate every detail to a person he depends on for business- a
potential customer- is in for a rude awakening. There's too much
competition for that approach. I am reminded of the Caddyshack line,
"Lighten up, Francis". Sheesh.

Looks like I picked the wrong time to check net54 Trent King
Old 09-06-2021, 07:44 AM

A dealer may be more willing to trade if your offering a big card for several smaller cards but not the other way around. Say you have a Jackie Robinson and your willing to trade it for an Ed Mathews, Warren Spahn, Whitey Ford, Phil Rizzuto, Preacher Roe, and Johnny Podres. Let's say book value works out fairly close for both parties.

From the dealers perspective, it's a lot easier to sell the Jackie than the six other cards to make the same money. Chances are he can move the Jackie at the same show, but he's probably unlikely to sell all 6 of the others. So if time is money you make that deal as the dealer and take your profit to reinvest elsewhere.

Best advise, sell your cards yourself or through consignment well before a large show so you have cash. That's how you'll get yourself the best deal.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:53 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
I am reminded of the Caddyshack line,
"Lighten up, Francis".
Sheesh.

Looks like I picked the wrong time to check net54 Trent King
That's from Stripes, not Caddyshack.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:53 AM

Default trade at shows

1954 Topps- I agree with you on the notion that a dealer is more likely to
trade a handful of lesser value cards, for one higher value. However,
your point about selling the card before a show so "you have cash", isn't
the case (at least for me). I offer to trade if, for example, the other card
isn't in my normal wheelhouse, if the card isn't quite the grade I wanted, or
sometimes if I think the sale price is so high that negotiation won't work. There
are lots of valid reasons to trade that have nothing to do with lack of cash
(which is indeed a reason some wish to trade, I am sure Trent King
Old 09-06-2021, 07:55 AM

Default trade at shows

Jay Shumsky- thanks for the correction. Hope my actual point got through.

Trent King
Old 09-06-2021, 07:56 AM

Default trade at card shows continued

Jay Shumsky- I'm in the process of negotiating a trade, so I am distracted

Trent King
Old 09-06-2021, 07:58 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954 topps View Post
A dealer may be more willing to trade if your offering a big card for several smaller cards but not the other way around. Say you have a Jackie Robinson and your willing to trade it for an Ed Mathews, Warren Spahn, Whitey Ford, Phil Rizzuto, Preacher Roe, and Johnny Podres. Let's say book value works out fairly close for both parties.

From the dealers perspective, it's a lot easier to sell the Jackie than the six other cards to make the same money. Chances are he can move the Jackie at the same show, but he's probably unlikely to sell all 6 of the others. So if time is money you make that deal as the dealer and take your profit to reinvest elsewhere.

Best advise, sell your cards yourself or through consignment well before a large show so you have cash. That's how you'll get yourself the best deal.
Trades like this are the main way I've had success when trading with a dealer at a show. One even told me what you are saying, that it would be easier for him to sell the one card I was offering in trade than the multiple cards I was getting from him.

While it may seem to be poor customer relations to just flat out say no to trades, I'm guessing that so many offers that are made to dealers are so clearly not worth it, that it is just easier for them to just say no from the start. The advice to show the dealer what you have first makes sense to me since they then know if they even want to entertain a trade offer later.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:05 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Jay Shumsky- thanks for the correction. Hope my actual point got through.

Trent King
I like the Airplane reference as well.

I get what you are saying, but I also understand the dealer side as well (I'm not a dealer, but I've talked to enough of them over the years about trades). After hearing so many ridiculous offers for trades, most of them just aren't worth their time listening to if they are busy and could lose a potential sale to someone else. It's kind of like the trades people call into sports talk shows and suggest their team should make only to be told by the host that team x isn't going to give up their potential Hall of Famer who is still only 28 for 2 middle relievers. GMs don't want to be bothered listening to offers like that any more than dealers do when someone offers to trade 100 commons for a Mickey Mantle.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:28 AM

Default trades at shows

Jay- "Airplane" is my favorite comedy, nice catch...

Let me say that I completely agree that it's not in a dealer's best interest
to consider a trade of his 1972 Topps Hank Aaron for 500 NM Ron Oester
rookies. That's not really my point, though. It's up to the show attendee
to demonstrate to the dealer that he has quality, either by showing the
cards he has up front, or by explaining his intentions ("I've got high grade
72 Topps examples of Mays, Bench, Carew, and Rose I can offer for your
72 Aaron"). If the dealer cuts that off at the knees, he has no idea what he
is missing AND may miss the opportunity to come out ahead. If the
customer has any pride when a dealer is so dismissive, the dealer will also
miss out on any possibility that the customer will buy any other card(s) from
the dealer- "if he won't even let me finish a sentence, he's not getting my
money". The smallest combination of hobby knowledge and basic courtesy
is all I look for when I am at shows, and if a dealer can't provide these
basics, we have zero chance of doing any business. Trent King
Old 09-06-2021, 09:40 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
That's from Stripes, not Caddyshack.
I thought it was from Airplane.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:46 AM
Rich Klein

I tend to take Tony's side on this argument because as a person who does time at both sides of the table I understand the issues. I pointed out my friend, with one booth and moderate expenses who spent 3K on his NSCC booth. Give him a 2nd booth and one person to help and it's 5K. You got to make up that 5K in some way and trading unless it's way in the dealer's profit is not going to help him with that.

I will tell you that about 95 percent of time I get offered cards there is not a chance in heck that I would ever be able to re-sell those cards at any sort of a profit. Granted I get offered newer cards at time since my table does feature both old and new but still,, the dollar figures asked for by most people just astound me. I usually tell people to remove 2 zeros from their price point and then we might talk about the real values.

What I would do sometimes is offer to purchase cards and then tell the person walking around you now have the option to either buy the card (s) from me or from other people in the room. In a sense you turned your cards into trade but just not directly

N.B. Now this is the rare example of a situation working out. A couple of Kyle's fine DFW shows ago (the smaller one he runs) I took a card in trade because the price point was OK and it seemed like a cool card to have in my showcase. That specific card, and I knew not a darned thing about it, was the 1st card to sell at the latest Allen show and for what I was asking.

Shocked me how quickly it moved and yes, to answer some questions, it was a modern card and while no specific comp was available the general comp worked out. So one can bend and can look but about 95 percent of the time I know better than to expect much of anything.

I will also re make the point that a show with a lower price point for the dealers might make them more accessible for trading. I know when I ran my shows pre-Covid two tables at my one-day shows cost all of $75. Well, I can assure you that with a $75 expenditure, dealers might be much more willing to take trades than for a 3-5K expenditure.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 09-06-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:58 AM

Default trade at card shows continued

Hi Rich- I don't believe we have ever spoken on net54, good to meet you.
Your story about accepting a card in trade at a show, then turning it around
later at auction, is exactly what I'm talking about. Dealers who say "no" out
of hand will never experience that, and- I keep pointing this out- also lose
a potential customer who may have bought something else from them apart
from trade. A couple dealers have essentially stated they judge a trade offer,
and the collector, without any knowledge of that person or their cards. As a
buyer, I can only say that the opposite holds true. The buyer/trader/customer
also judges you- and there are LOTS of other sellers he can engage.

Trent King
Old 09-06-2021, 10:18 AM
Rich Klein

Trent:

Yes about 10 percent of the time I accept some trade, usually with some cash for the cards involved and those do tend to work out.

But that is also because I have a pretty good idea of what I have in inventory and what might sell so I do focus on that. But Tony's point is for him it's about 95-99 percent of the time it's not worth it for him and I get that totally.

As I also pointed out, from a vendor perspective, when I was doing my monthly 1-day shows and 2 tables were $75 a dealer might look more favorably at trades than spending $3-5K for a NSCC booth or two.

Rich
Old 09-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Tony Gordon

Quote:
To Tony Gordon, et al-

I am amazed (but not surprised) by your attitude. A potential customer-
someone who could BUY from you in addition to asking to trade- is a
"waste of time"? Hmmm...think I found a problem. Judging a card(s)
before you have even seen it, and telling the holder which words to use
(don't use the word "trade"?) Think I found a second problem...
My attitude is based on my experience. I set up at card shows most every weekend and in my experience the folks that want to trade are almost never good customers. The good customers are the ones that offer cash, not trade. I have a large following at my local shows, no shortage of customers. Thankfully success as a dealer is not even remotely based on whether the dealer accepts trade or not. In my 40 years of setting up at card shows, I found that success comes from inventory and pricing, not trades. Now, more than ever, I turn people away who offer trades and am having a banner year. You can dismiss my advice all you want but if you really want to trade and have a good item, you need to avoid the word "trade" because 9 times out of 10, in my experience, when someone asks me to trade, they are offering me five beat up and water-logged Jim Bunnings for a clean Koufax rookie. You can smell the mold on the Bunnings when they pull them out. No thanks.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:15 AM
Johnny MaZilli

My usual response when someone asks if I'm interested In trade is maybe, may I please see what you have. When shown I either consider or kindly hand them back and say I'm sorry these are nice cards but not for me. That's all.

No hard feelings it's just business. I'm much more apt to trade or trade and cash when a card has nice eye appeal/centering and is a super star, Mantle, Mays, Jackie ect. I can see both sides from Trent and Tony, as a seller I do agree with Tony that 9x's out of 10 it does not work for me.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:59 PM

Default trades at shows

To Tony Gordon- I found your reply to me almost by accident, assumed
this topic was exhausted and was wrong. This is my final go round...

It sounds to me like you have a grim outlook. At a show, ANY action for a
dealer is better than no action. I've been a collector for 40 years and
attended many shows, and I've never seen a show where a dealer is so busy
he has to beat back attendees with a stick. We have all been to shows where
a couple dealers draw more traffic than the others, so approaching a dealer
with less traffic at his table, is hardly an imposition. It is in the dealer's best
interest to treat a potential customer with some modicum of respect (ie, not
telling them how best to phrase their remarks , or indicating they have
worth only if they ask no questions and give him money). I have also never
approached a dealer with "moldy" cards in the hope of trading for one of his
that is beyond the price point. In other words, your characterization of
people who merely propose trading as being a "waste of time" is insulting,
wrong, and also possibly self defeating (remember, the guy who proposes
trade has money as well- I'm one of them).

So, in conclusion I am definitely dismissing your advice. There's too much
selling competition for me to subject myself to rude treatment by a
stranger. I've said it before on this site in different context, but it merits
repeating- the folks on the other side of your table are a tiny bit important
to the hobby. 'Nuff said, Trent King
Old 09-06-2021, 08:06 PM
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I think part of the disconnect is that the leverage dealers have over buyers in today's market is quite a bit different than it was back in the 80s, 90s, and even the 2000s. Back then, if you wanted to sell your cards, you either had to find a friend to sell it to or take it to your local card shop/show and take whatever you could get for it. They had a lot of leverage over you. They knew they could resell it for X, so they gave you some significantly lower percentage of its value in order to turn a profit. It's a business after all. But in today's market, collectors no longer need dealers or card shops to buy their cards. The only thing a dealer offers them today by buying their card is the convenience of not having to deal with eBay or a consignment company. We don't "need" a dealer to buy our cards nowadays, so that leverage is lost. But most of the dealers I've encountered don't acknowledge this. It's like they still think they have power over the market/buyers because they've somehow "earned" it with their decades of experience. I find most (not all) card shop owners that I've encountered to be extremely arrogant.

The only leverage they have now, in the case of a trade, comes from them having a particular card that you want, not from them being in the position of being a dealer. Sure, some people are desperate enough to acquire a particular card that they're willing to take a loss on their trade in value to get it, but it's not because the person on the other end of the transaction is a dealer, but rather because they have what the other person wants. I think most trades at shows nowadays probably occurs between collectors away from the tables. Trade night is a big deal at the larger shows.
Jackpot. This is exactly right. So many avenues to move cards these days, the leverage is just not there. Which also goes with the other point that trading with dealers is not advantageous or preferred. Most trading I see is between people walking around. Another reason why I don’t understand the term “trade value” these days. I value a card for exactly what I could sell it for when it comes to trading for something I want. If they bump up for “trade value”, then I will too… so I don’t see the point.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:52 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I don't understand how table fees, hotel fees, airfare, etc. enter someone's calculation on whether or not they would want to engage in a trade with a customer or in how much they sell a card for. I also don't understand how the amount you paid for a card would come into the equation either. Those factors have no bearing on the value of cards incoming or outgoing. The market dictates what every card is worth; buy, sell, or trade. If the amount you pay to set up at the National affects your decisions at the table with customers, perhaps you might benefit from changing your approach?

I get that your time as a dealer is valuable though. I fully understand not wanting to lose a potential customer because someone else just handed you a stack of random low-end cards to go through that he hopes to trade up for a Mickey Mantle. Clearly that's a waste of your time. But it's so easy to convey this message in way that eliminates 95% of the garbage trade offers while letting through 100% of the good ones. Just reply with something like, "I only accept trades of graded blue chip cards of all-time greats or high demand cards that are easy to sell, and I offer 70% of comps for trades". Something along those lines. I would think you wouldn't want to push away the guy who has a Gretzky RC, Aaron RC, and a 53 Mantle to trade. Most people I know who bring cards to shows are pretty selective about what they put into their backpacks or Pelican cases. They're not carrying around a case full of junk cards at big shows hoping to find a sucker. Surely there are some, but my guess is the majority of those interactions occur at the local card shops, not at the National.

I've heard a few dealers recently saying things like, "I just say no to traders" or "Don't say the word 'comps' at my booth". Then they sit there and look up how much they paid for a card before determining whether or not they'll accept someone's offer on it as if that has any relevance to the card's current value whatsoever, or they'll put 95% of their net worth into cardboard, always desperate for cash and wonder why they're struggling to profit after paying $5k in dealer fees to set up a booth at the National. Why not give yourselves more buffer room and keep a larger portion of your assets in cash so that you can take advantage of opportunities as they arrive rather than handcuffing yourself financially to your inventory?

Last edited by Snowman; 09-07-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:15 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKilroy View Post
Jackpot. This is exactly right. So many avenues to move cards these days, the leverage is just not there. Which also goes with the other point that trading with dealers is not advantageous or preferred. Most trading I see is between people walking around. Another reason why I don’t understand the term “trade value” these days. I value a card for exactly what I could sell it for when it comes to trading for something I want. If they bump up for “trade value”, then I will too… so I don’t see the point.
Agree in this era its my belief that the AH's now have most if not all of the leverage. It's my belief that maybe some of the big auction houses also have leverage over the TPG's in terms of pricing and turn around times.

Although I know this for a fact over the years some people only go to one show during the whole year and they bring lots of cash for one reason and one reason only to spend money on the cards at the show. Most are not going to come back with the cash they want the cards. I've seen a lot of stupid buys over the years at the National, that show has the most leverage for the dealer.

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-07-2021 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:15 AM
Matt L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Although I know this for a fact over the years some people only go to one show during the whole year and they bring lots of cash for one reason and one reason only to spend money on the cards at the show. Most are not going to come back with the cash they want the cards. I've seen a lot of stupid buys over the years at the National, that show has the most leverage for the dealer.
I can see that. I just think that’s a dying breed. I just went to Chicago show this past weekend with a lot of cash. Left with all of it. Prices were too high.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:24 AM
Paul S

What I find amusing is when a dealer is selling a card for, say, $100, and you offer to trade them the same exact card in comparable condition for a card they are selling for $75, and they turn you down.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:12 PM
Tony Gordon

Quote:
To Tony Gordon- I found your reply to me almost by accident, assumed
this topic was exhausted and was wrong. This is my final go round...

It sounds to me like you have a grim outlook. At a show, ANY action for a
dealer is better than no action. I've been a collector for 40 years and
attended many shows, and I've never seen a show where a dealer is so busy
he has to beat back attendees with a stick. We have all been to shows where
a couple dealers draw more traffic than the others, so approaching a dealer
with less traffic at his table, is hardly an imposition. It is in the dealer's best
interest to treat a potential customer with some modicum of respect (ie, not
telling them how best to phrase their remarks , or indicating they have
worth only if they ask no questions and give him money). I have also never
approached a dealer with "moldy" cards in the hope of trading for one of his
that is beyond the price point. In other words, your characterization of
people who merely propose trading as being a "waste of time" is insulting,
wrong, and also possibly self defeating (remember, the guy who proposes
trade has money as well- I'm one of them).

So, in conclusion I am definitely dismissing your advice. There's too much
selling competition for me to subject myself to rude treatment by a
stranger. I've said it before on this site in different context, but it merits
repeating- the folks on the other side of your table are a tiny bit important
to the hobby. 'Nuff said, Trent King
No, I don't have a grim outlook. I look forward to setting up at shows each weekend. I usually have a lot of fun, but I am a realist. Most every time someone offers a trade it is not fair. Like I said, I am at shows just about every weekend and this is what occurs week after week. I am often very busy. Many times during each show there is a line of people waiting to speak to me. You can come out and see for yourself this Sunday where I will be set up at the Buenavista Banquet Hall in Milwaukee.

Guys that want to trade are almost always bad customers. It is not just me. Dealers let out a collective groan when they see certain customers walk into the room, these are the customers that want something for nothing. Maybe you have never approached a dealer with moldy cards but I guarantee you somebody this Sunday is going to offer me either moldy cards, creased up cards, junk era cards and the like in exchange for something like a Bob Gibson rookie. It happens at each and every show.

I'm not trying to insult any one. I am just explaining my regular experience as a dealer. You are free to ignore my perspective.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:32 PM
Eric Perry

I found it fascinating to read this thread. The subject matter was almost secondary to the revealing nature of certain members' posts.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 09-07-2021, 12:40 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

The conversation is interesting

But I am following 1 of Leon's Rules or Traditions (not sure which)

But Every Thread Needs a Card

or in this case Postcard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MatthewsonFront.jpg (76.5 KB, 99 views)

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-07-2021, 12:53 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbspelly View Post
What I find amusing is when a dealer is selling a card for, say, $100, and you offer to trade them the same exact card in comparable condition for a card they are selling for $75, and they turn you down.
This doesn't surprise me. It obviously would depend on the demand for the specific card, but I would think a dealer would rather obtain a card they don't already have than get a duplicate of something even if it had a slightly higher value than the card they would be trading away.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:12 PM
Tony Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I don't understand how table fees, hotel fees, airfare, etc. enter someone's calculation on whether or not they would want to engage in a trade with a customer or in how much they sell a card for. I also don't understand how the amount you paid for a card would come into the equation either. Those factors have no bearing on the value of cards incoming or outgoing. The market dictates what every card is worth; buy, sell, or trade. If the amount you pay to set up at the National affects your decisions at the table with customers, perhaps you might benefit from changing your approach?

I get that your time as a dealer is valuable though. I fully understand not wanting to lose a potential customer because someone else just handed you a stack of random low-end cards to go through that he hopes to trade up for a Mickey Mantle. Clearly that's a waste of your time. But it's so easy to convey this message in way that eliminates 95% of the garbage trade offers while letting through 100% of the good ones. Just reply with something like, "I only accept trades of graded blue chip cards of all-time greats or high demand cards that are easy to sell, and I offer 70% of comps for trades". Something along those lines. I would think you wouldn't want to push away the guy who has a Gretzky RC, Aaron RC, and a 53 Mantle to trade. Most people I know who bring cards to shows are pretty selective about what they put into their backpacks or Pelican cases. They're not carrying around a case full of junk cards at big shows hoping to find a sucker. Surely there are some, but my guess is the majority of those interactions occur at the local card shops, not at the National.

I've heard a few dealers recently saying things like, "I just say no to traders" or "Don't say the word 'comps' at my booth". Then they sit there and look up how much they paid for a card before determining whether or not they'll accept someone's offer on it as if that has any relevance to the card's current value whatsoever, or they'll put 95% of their net worth into cardboard, always desperate for cash and wonder why they're struggling to profit after paying $5k in dealer fees to set up a booth at the National. Why not give yourselves more buffer room and keep a larger portion of your assets in cash so that you can take advantage of opportunities as they arrive rather than handcuffing yourself financially to your inventory?
As a dealer, you have to make a profit or you won't be a dealer for very long. So you must consider your expenses and the amount of money you spent on your inventory to make a determination as to whether you had a profitable show. If a show is not profitable, I need to change my inventory and pricing or just maybe find a different show where I might have better luck.

Again, as a dealer, you must make a profit so you can't solely consider the value of the card (which has so many variables), you must take into consideration what you paid for your inventory. You can't trade a card that you initially paid $75 for a card you know you can only sell for $50, even though the supposed value for each card is $100.

Unlike "Trade," "Comps" is not a dirty word at my booth or tables. I welcome folks to look up recent sales. I have and I know I won't make a sale if I'm priced over comps.

I don't know how other dealers operate but I don't put any of my personal funds into buying cards. I fund my purchases through my sales.

I am not a full-time dealer. I do it for fun. I have a good day job and get paid well. Setting up at card shows each weekend is my form of stress release. I don't need the money I earn at shows other than to use it to purchase more cards which is more fun than selling cards. I have a steady stream of sales so I always have cash to purchase cards.

One last thing that I would like to stress is that I don't need any cards. So whatever you are offering to trade, I don't need it. Most long-time dealers are just like me and we each have massive inventories. I also have an endless stream of folks that want to sell me cards, which is my preferred route. The only thing handcuffing me is time. It takes a great deal of time to organize and price inventory. I'm paying employees to post cards on eBay because I just don't have the time to do it myself. I am contemplating hiring folks to price my inventory for the shows. Time is the biggest problem and the major handcuff.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:16 PM
Drew W@i$e

This thread has been very entertaining. I love seeing both sides of the trade discussion.

One thought about trading at shows is that I believe collectors generally overvalue their cards. I can understand why, they have either a monetary or emotional attachment to them. But they should realize that dealers do not have that attachment to them, it is simply another card.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:38 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
No, I don't have a grim outlook. I look forward to setting up at shows each weekend. I usually have a lot of fun, but I am a realist. Most every time someone offers a trade it is not fair. Like I said, I am at shows just about every weekend and this is what occurs week after week. I am often very busy. Many times during each show there is a line of people waiting to speak to me. You can come out and see for yourself this Sunday where I will be set up at the Buenavista Banquet Hall in Milwaukee.

Guys that want to trade are almost always bad customers. It is not just me. Dealers let out a collective groan when they see certain customers walk into the room, these are the customers that want something for nothing. Maybe you have never approached a dealer with moldy cards but I guarantee you somebody this Sunday is going to offer me either moldy cards, creased up cards, junk era cards and the like in exchange for something like a Bob Gibson rookie. It happens at each and every show.

I'm not trying to insult any one. I am just explaining my regular experience as a dealer. You are free to ignore my perspective.
Some people think that every post needs a card. I’m of the belief that every post needs the truth. Reality is always something that goes astray when feelings are involved.

Tony thanks for explaining the reality of situation so well. It’s a business decision for you, it’s your prerogative and you have exercised that option by not trading. Good Luck with the show this weekend !!!

Last edited by Johnny630; 09-07-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:49 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I feel like the majority of the people who are on the “pro trading” side of this argument have never set up at a major show and dealt with the people who are trying to trade.

For every 1 person that understands the dealer needs to make money, doesn’t want to waste anyone’s time, understands values AND has desirable inventory…there are 100 that do not.

If you spend a lot of time trying to make trades instead of selling cards, you aren’t going to last long as a dealer. If you’re just there to hang out and add items to your collection, more power to you but that’s not the majority of dealers.

At the National, 99% of the people who wanted to trade had undesirable and hard to move stuff. This is the norm.

Last edited by notfast; 09-07-2021 at 05:49 PM.