NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2008, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Default Estate Auction (Should I have bought this?)

Posted By: Shawn

I went to an estate auction this weekend that had tons of great stuff. Below is a picture of a Dukes Cigarette sign that I passed on. It sold for $80.00 and I am wondering If I should have grabbed it? I am guessing, but I think the sign stood 3' tall and maybe 1.5' wide. It has some obvious condition issues, so that scared me away. It is made of heavy cardboard, any thoughts on value? I did pick up the "National Cash Register" pictured below for $150, I think its a deal. The corresponding drawer opens automatically when you turn the handle.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

You should have picked up the Duke's sign.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Administrator

These are similar in size, albeit much better condition. They sold in a Heritage auction I believe in 2006.

This one sold for $2151

This one sold for $3824

Old 10-21-2008, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

I am sure that the Cash register was a deal! But, I have to agree somewhat with Dave, for $80 the Sign was a steal.

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Looks like it went for $140, not $80

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/1004-Vintage-Tobacco-Advertising-Sign_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ28221QQihZ006QQite mZ160292862920

Old 10-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Administrator

I am starting to get a sick feeling in my stomach... Not really my collecting area, but I probably should have bought it. Dave, I will have to argue with the $140.00... I was there and I saw the guy leave with it. Something was not right with there online auction, because when I got home they still had stuff up for sale (online) although it had sold and people had left with the items?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

Probably one of the reasons Ebay is supposed to be getting rid of the Live Auction format. It never seemed to work quite right, it seemed to attract a lot of the negative feedback and it never quite cinched up with the live auction. Also, most who used the format charge a higher buyers premium if you bid through Ebay........................something I'm sure drove the higher ups at Ebay crazy with envy.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I've always wondered why there are so many bargains to be had on ebay live...you would think that with a worldwide audience the prices would be commensurate with regular ebay prices, but I've managed to pick up a Honus Wagner decal bat for $400, Kennesaw Landis signed letterhead for $50, Roy Ellam real photo postcard with the exact image that was used to make his T206 for $30...and a bunch of bargains on card lots from Courtney Hassinger, Regency Superior and a few other smaller auction houses. I for one will be sad when ebay axes the Live format.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Administrator

I can say that they had a computer up in front on the auction table, but they seem to be fumbling around with it and looking confused. Almost as if something was not quite right... I think they may have ended the Live Auctions at the wrong time? This was a certainly small town auction, and maybe a learning experience for the auctioneer?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

Just because it sold for $80 doesn't mean you could have owned it for the next bid. You could have bid it up to $300-$400 and the same guy still would be the one walking out the door with it.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Red, Yes this is true... There is something to be said about the mood of an auction though. Nothing there was selling for that much except for some pedal cars. I am almost certain it would have not gone for that much. It actually was a "hard sell" for them, meaning they were just about begging for bidders. But you never know!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Shawn - while $80 was a deal for that sign, I don't think you lost a ton. The other posters shown above reached their prices due to the advertisements of cards (albeit non-sports) as well as their condition. As you point out, the sign you passed on had major condition issues and is a general advertisement and not tied to a specific card issue.

Based on the conidition, I would guess the value of the Duke's advertisement to be $250-$350. Henry will certainly be able to give you a better idea of the value but I do not think you let a multi-thousand dollar item pass.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com>

Old 10-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Thanks Jon, They also had a large Fatima Turkish Cigarette cardboard sign with the typical Turkish woman... This thing was LARGE, but her head had broken off. I did not see it sell. The sad thing is, that it had sat in this back room on the floor for so long that the head broke off. Someone could have bought it in the past while it was still intact.

Edited to add: I have tried to find another Fatima sign like the one at the auction so you can see what I am talking about. but no luck? 3' wide x 2' tall