NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Default Packaging and such

Posted By: Joe D.

Would love to see them.

T200s...

Not sure if any cards came in this type of package -
but this is an absolutely beautiful, ornate, product package.
The scan does not do it justice.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think this is one of those "tweener" threads...on topic here and on topic on the baseball side....here are a few from my collection of crap....

Old 05-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

some of them are I guess place-fillers without the possibility of having a card inside. A couple of others like the Lenox pack I have yet to get my own example of. When i get the time and the inclination I'll post some pix for you. Many of the problems that a pack collector will face come from the lack of CREDIBLE information in the marketplace- whether in the baseball world - the antique world - whatever. Best information I've gleaned and stolen (lol-with reference to J.S> came from tin, paper, and advertising collectors as well as dogged searching at shows and on eBay for whatever would add to what I thought or knew or thought I knew.... There is a work by Jon Canfield that did a good job of describing many of the brands and associated factory numbers. I really like my packs and love that there are finally others that share such an interest......

Old 05-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

My Ramly pack came with a card in it....I sent it in to be graded and it came back an SGC80. Our previous moderator bought it from me...it was a very nice common with a little water stain...I have no idea about the rest of the packs with regard to a card or not coming in them....I really haven't looked to hard for the overprints on them....

Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Thanks for the kind words Henry. Here are some rarer ones...

The Uzit, Mono and CB packs belong to private collector. I don't want to divulge his name unless he wants to be known.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

I don't think it's rare, but I like it.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Someone want to tell me the value of a T207 era Little Recruit package. For some reason I let 3 of them slip away (I think very cheaply) in the Hunt's April auction.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Administrator

I think WOW would say it all...... Contentnea super as well. Take a close look at the first two as unlikely you will ever see another let alone own one. I would guess under 10 out there and probably half that or fewer. American Beauty from upstate New York? If so no cards but closest I've seen to the pack that would have cards. Broadleaf and Carolina are tough but out there. Sold my TTT never seen or heard of another. Gypsy Queen certainly rarer than T206 Wagner with probably under 20 in any condition including those in cigarette pack collectors collections (mostly out of country collectors that like to flatten packs and wrappers for display). Think about it. Most tough to find cards are that way because the brands were either of limited distribution or small company regional brands that were short lived. Makes sense then that the packs would be even scarcer. Perhaps Ramly had interesting visual appeal or maybe because they were issued in northeast area where things are kept in attics and trunks for a long time might account for slightly higher populations than one might expect but they are still tough and you probably have to content with a certain savy collector that wants them all . Certainly 25 or less sounds about right. Lenox? Tough. Drum? I've NEVER seen one. There are sacks out there but never a package and for sure the cards weren't found in the cloth sacks. Yum Yum? I know of a TIN with a strip at the bottom saying there was a baseball card or cards included. Allen and Ginter had lots of brands. I would make note of the Richmond Straight slide box as it's scarce in it's own right and especially when taking note of how many N28/N29 collectors might and should want an example. For some reason the clam shell box that held the large Ginters is quite common (always seems to be well after the 1887-1889 period) so one with a stamp and CORRECT date has eluded me and I look all the time. Not sure why there aren't more other than the original price(?) but that doesn't make too much sense either. Food for thought.****WARNING NOTE***** There is one clam shell pack out in the market that purports to be sealed and carries a correct stamp. I have heard it has been altered. Buyer beware. Old Judge- they're out there. Lone Jack interesting pack and I only know of a few. Dog's Head tough but more in the market than I would have thought given the scarcity of the cabinet and other advertising issues. I rarely see any Kimball or Kinney packs although I have examples of each. Mino? I think I remember seeing a picture of a single example in Lew Lipset's book (if it was Mono then I take it back and say I've never seen one-looking it up now would be too much work-you can do that). Helmar, Hassan, Murad, Turkish Trophy are all nice but would have to be seen as plentiful (TT less so). Obak, Sweet Caporal, Piedmont, Old Mill, Cycle-small pack, Sovereign are out there. Duke Honest Long Cut probably came in one of those larger paper packages. I've owned at least three variations. Could never confirm the date on them as the stamp lay under the wrapper or was covered. I've seen a few Tolstoi(sp?) but haven't owned nor examined one in person. The type card people probably could shed more light on these. Mayo? I never had enough time to try and figure it out. I think the football cards at least have always been accepted as coming from the round corner tin. The other cards that came in tins other than the Mayo and Yum Yum are the Fatima team and player cards. There are plenty of these rectangular tins in the antique market so look for the proper CANCEL on the proper tax stamp. Ty Cobb back T206? Get you hot? Musta come in the Ty Cobb tin. You might have to sell your card collection to get the tin.
I noticed someone with a Home Run pack. Love the graphics. Your example is POST 1956 as it's a vanity tax stamp. Brand was around since prior to 1905 (I sold a copyrighted sign with that date and I've seen an even earlier reference somewhere). They are still making them I think. They never had cards.
Question was asked about the Recruit. The yellow ones are 1940's-1950's. The card period ones are cream colored and I believe that besides the slide-and-shell there was another outer shell. Too long ago for me to remember but the S&S packs are fairly easy to come by. To answer the question I would think that 75.00 - 100.00 wouldn't be out of line for a clean pack with stamp and cigarettes and 25.00 or so for just a complete pack. EPDG are out there with a population I approximate at over 100. Mr. Canfield probably has his own thoughts about all this musing and perhaps he will share some thoughts as well. It might help him sell more copies of his book .
I know I've missed some brands but I'm doing this all from memory. If I can help in some way just LMK. If you have a rare pack I'd love to see a picture or buy it..... If you have more to add I'd love to hear it. Nothing I've said is any more than my opinion and I haven't made an in depth study of this stuff nor do I actively hunt it alone, as I collect many things and can't devote too much time to it. As usual with this kinda stuff-more questions than answers.......
Happy Hunting

(edited to clean some insignificant things. There's much more I could put in this thread and other brands I just remembered at this moment but I'm a bit tired.)

Old 05-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Administrator

but it's so good I had to post it here. Hope Jim not sore I'm sending people there

http://www.wclynx.com/burntofferings/

Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Not mine (ofcourse) but since it was brought up thought id post it as its one of my favorite items of all time...

Old 05-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Henry - To address some questions / comments above...

In Lew's book, it is a Mono pack, not a Mino. I ahve never seen or heard of a Mino either. I have seen the front part of a Drum pack, however. A board member has the front portion of a box that has been cut. To if this was the configuration that held the cards, who knows - but it is certainly more probable than the sack like you noted. Also, I have a scan of the Yum Yum with the strip advertising "cards found on the bottom". I will post it later tonight after work. Lastly, I do have an original Allen and Ginter box that would have held the N43's... it is correct int erms of tax stamp and year - I will post a scan tonight, as well as a scan of 2 other later version to show the comparison that henry elluded to.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

I really enjoy collecting the packaging our cards came in. I think it's fascinating and these items are much more scarce than the cards themselves. After all...once you open a pack of candy (or cigarettes for that matter) what do you do with the wrapper/pack/box? You toss it.....This is the only Briggs Box I have seen though I am sure more exist somewhere...and I don't know if a card would have come in it but it is from the time period according to the lithography.....

Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

I DO have the A&G clamshell with the correct info.. Sometimes I forget with too many balls in the air. It just isn't a great example. Looking forward to the Yum Yum....

Old 05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

just jump out at you. Thanks for sharing that Leon. I haven't been looking for the gum and candy boxes that related to cards other than for a Zeenut but will keep one eye open for them now.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

the n43 packs..... There are a few series of large cards that were all issued in the same time frame as the N43's; any of which could be found in such a pack.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

What about Buchner Gold Coins- anyone ever see one of those packs?

Old 05-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

a trade card/folder for the brand (I think it depicts the pack but I'll try and find it and LYK). What is great about it is there is a calendar inside (so it's dated) and the man or woman says to their spouse something like: Just "x" more coupons and we'll be able to get that house. For real. A house. Gotta love it........

Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Piedmont Carton

Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Here are the packs as promised. First, take note of the 3 AG's - this is what Henry was referring to. Although each looks the same, they are different. The first is the earliest. The second is after the ATCo took over. The third is after L&M took over (each has slightly different printing at the bottom). I've also included the photo of the Yum Yum tin that contained the cards. Please note, I do not own this tin.