NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default Southern league populations

Posted By: David Poses

thanks for posting your study, scott.

i'm wondering if anybody has a guess as to the total population of these cards (not just what psa says, but raw and slabbed).

while it is reasonable to assume that the more popular stars of the time were held more often than unpopular players, what's the keep/discard ratio of the average smoker? did one smoker keep a dutch jordan for every 20 who kept a cobb? 200?

does anybody care to guess how many exist of any given southern league player today?

if ellam appeared on ebay at a ratio more than 2:1 to foley white, is it reasonable to assume that for every ellam floating around there are 2.3 whites?

what are the chances that someone in roanoke hoarded a ton of shaughnessy cards and he is about to croak and his great grandson is a methamphetamine addict waiting to inherit the hoard and stick it on ebay as one big lot to avoid multiple placement fees and thus maximize funding for his nefarious habit?

what would happen if one person owned, say, 10 arch persons? how much of the persons market would that represent?

will prices for southern leaguers continue to go up even though everybody wants one and nobody ever heard of most of these guys?

obviously scott's list is based on a serious study and i am not trying to undermine it in any way- just trying to keep the conversation about relative scarcity going.

d

Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

This is the very first time I've ever seen the words "T206 Southern Leaguer" and "methamphetamine" in the same post!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: david poses

yes, barry- me too- but surely you can see how this scenario is very feasible:

because roanoke is such a small city, they likely don't have the sort of access to, say, crack that we new yorkers have. as such, they have to resort to drugs one can manufacture with rudimentary household (and farmhold) chemicals. any given meth junky with a hoard of shaughnessys and a great grandfather on his deathbed would do the same thing.

i apologize for hijacking my own thread. i couldn't resist. now can we be serious?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david Poses

if nobody wants to discuss Southern League cards today, should I assume that nobody cares about them anymore? if so, please post your SLers on B/S/T for low prices.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

There are many people on the board who are working on T206 sets and collect Southern Leaguers, but some of your questions are tough to answer. Most of them just deal with speculative issues, such as where are they and what percentage of such and such still exists. Truth is, nobody actually knows. I looked at your questions and realized I would have to just take a guess at every answer, and my guess wouldn't really be based on anything.

How would I know if someone in Roanoke is hoarding Shaughnessys? I have no idea.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Okay, I'll bite.

I have said before that I think there are about 3,000 examples of a typical 350-only subject in existence. This is based on an analysis involving Demmitt and O'Hara (St. Louis) that I don't want to revisit here.

In my eBay survey, 2.4X as many examples of a typical 350-only subject appeared as a typical South Atlantic League, Virginia League or Southern Association subject.

1.6X as many examples of a typical 350-only subject appeared as a typical Texas League subject.

So I would guess that there are about 1,250 examples of a typical SAL/VL/SA subject and about 1,875 examples of a typical Texas League subject extant. Just a guess and I could be way off.

The reason for the disparity appears to be that Texas League subjects were printed longer with Piedmont 350.