NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 PM

Default Unopened 48 Leaf Wax Pack from Mr Mint's RiP "Find"

Pretty incredible item and back story if you ever researched the late Mr. Mint's claims. I was never able to find any evidence of the 48 leaf boxes he found but alas here is about 1/500th of the resultant booty. Pretty amazing but already at 13k with a week to go. Even if I wanted to spend the money I couldn't stop myself from popping the thing. Also no formal certification is a bit scary.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...e?itemid=44356
Old 04-25-2017, 09:08 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlenane View Post
Pretty incredible item and back story if you ever researched the late Mr. Mint's claims. I was never able to find any evidence of the 48 leaf boxes he found but alas here is about 1/500th of the resultant booty. Pretty amazing but already at 13k with a week to go. Even if I wanted to spend the money I couldn't stop myself from popping the thing. Also no formal certification is a bit scary.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...e?itemid=44356

But, the big question is...Would you eat the gum?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Bill Avery

If I was crazy enough to pay that much and open it darn right I'm eating the gum. Gotta get my moneys worth after all.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 PM

Default True Story

When I was a kid, circa 1992, I bought an unopened pack of 1981 baseball cards. I don't remember who was in the pack, but I gave the gum to my brother, who proceeded to cut his tongue on it.

I'd be careful with the 1949 gum.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 PM

It would definitely be pretty sweet to pull a nicely centered HOF'er out of that, but I highly doubt you'd get your money back or profit from it if you did given the current bid and probably what it may end up getting to. Still cool though.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 AM

No way I could buy that without opening it

What if there is a satchel in there that is close to mint?

What's the most the unopened pack will go for? 20k?

The paige could be worth 100k
Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 AM

Pretty cool. My friend and I cracked some 1986 topps and tried the gum. Would not recommend it
Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
But, the big question is...Would you eat the gum?

Child's play. I want to see somebody buy an OJ pack and smoke the cigarettes.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Weren't all of the Leaf packs from the find 2nd series? And Rosen stated that he pulled relatively few Paige's? There is at least one other in existence.
With both end seals popped I strongly doubt this pack is gradeable, might as well break it open.
My bet is $21k on the final close.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 LEAF unopened pack......

Hey guys

Here's the story on Rosen's 1949 LEAF find. Alan and I talked about these cards back in 1989 when he acquired the 4 unopened 24-count boxes. Each 5-cent
pack had 6 cards in it. And, the originally pink slab of Bubble gum had turned "purple" after 40 years.....(really don't recommend putting it in your mouth).

So, 96 packs x 6 cards each = 576 cards......all from the 2nd (short-printed) series. There was random distribution of the 49 subjects in this series, resulting
on the average of 12 cards each per subject. EXCEPT for Paige, of which there were only 3 cards.

The point I am trying to make here is.....there is almost no chance of this pack having a Paige in it.

..................... 1949 BOWMAN ............................................... 1949 LEAF .........................

Last edited by tedzan; 04-26-2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:20 AM

If these are 2nd series, then there is no chance at Jackie, Ruth, Dimaggio, Williams, Musial, etc. If you are a long shot at Paige, then what is your expected value by pulling 6 2nd series "common" players?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Ted- I"m seeing it a different way, but it's a theory.
the facts:
A. all the packs from this find were from the 2nd series, from what Rosen told you and wrote in his book
B. Based on the number of packs there were 576 cards
C. There are only 49 different possible in those 576
D. Based on the known 1st series sheet, Leaf's press sheet was 7 x7, so no short prints The boxing sheet I have is 7 x 7 as well, but we know Graziano got pulled and replaced.
E. Rosen stated he only pulled 3 Paige's.

Based on the above there should be an equal amount of each card, but Rosen stated he only pulled 3 Paige's. We assume this pack is from that find (likely, but not proven unless we can see a card in in. Given that the seals are popped it's not going to grade, you might as well peek) and the other pack I saw in the GAI holder years ago was definitely 2nd series, we know not everything was opened.
Doesn't this lead you to believe that it's more likely that a Paige is in what was left unopened, rather than less likely, since Rosen pulled so few?
Conversely, if Rosen pulled a dozen Doby's or Goodman's or whoever, wouldn't that make it less likely there were any left in the few packs that weren't opened?

Last edited by Griffins; 04-26-2017 at 08:43 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 AM
D Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Child's play. I want to see somebody buy an OJ pack and smoke the cigarettes.
Thought of this when I watched this video about a collector opening a 1942 rations pack and bravely smoking one of the cigarettes -- and trying out the gum.

http://boingboing.net/2017/05/17/gen...ear-old-c.html

Cigarette/gum section starts at about 14:00

David
Old 04-26-2017, 06:54 AM

Is there even a chance for a Paige? It doesn't say if it is a 1st or 2nd series pack. I think that would make a huge difference. Any 2nd series card in high grade will bring a lot. 1st series it would only be the stars, but a high grade Jackie would pay for the pack.

Last edited by rats60; 04-26-2017 at 06:54 AM.