NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Default Grange "Rookie"?

What is the earliest Red Grange issue? His W590 is listed as 1925-1931, and the Shotwell cards I have seen are 1926. Are there other earlier cards, and what do most football collectors consider to be his "rookie"?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 PM
John

I think most collectors consider the "1933 Sport Kings" to be his rookie. That is the case on the PSA set registry. Also, check out this link ("Notes" column): http://www.footballcardgallery.com/s...?search=Grange
Old 02-06-2014, 03:21 PM

Default Red Grange W590

That an interesting link, but funny that they don't show the W590 - which predates the Sport Kings by more than 5 years. It is also a great image (maybe from college?) and much more scarce. Here's a link to the only one I could find that sold on ebay - although there is another PSA graded copy listed now.

http://bit.ly/NavnGv
Old 02-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Jeff P

Cards designated as Rookie cards in the hobby are not necessarily the first card of a player (as strange as that sounds). It's their first card in a mainstream set. Cards considered outside the mainstream that are older are often called pre-rookie cards and there are A LOT of famous players with pre-rookie cards.

I built a list of all HOFers and their pre-rookie cards a while back and have been spending some time trying to pick them up. It's a fun and interesting subset to go after!

jeff

P.S. Red Grange's official rookie card is the 1933 Sport Kings. As mentioned, there are a bunch that are earlier.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Jeff

Jeff,

How does one certain card get deemed to be the "official" RC?
Thanks.

Jeff

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
What is the earliest Red Grange issue? His W590 is listed as 1925-1931, and the Shotwell cards I have seen are 1926. Are there other earlier cards, and what do most football collectors consider to be his "rookie"?
There are several other Grange cards earlier than the 1933 Sport Kings that are extremely rare. 1926 Spalding Champions, 1928 Star Player Candy, 1929/30 Rogers Peet, 1932 C.A. Briggs are four that all have a total POP under 5, meaning across all grading companies and all grades there are less than 5 known to exist. I've been looking for all four for a long time.

I don't know of any that are earlier than 1926. Star Player Candy (SPC) cards are designated by SGC as 1925 but most agree this date is incorrect. PSA designates SPC cards as 1928.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 02-06-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Jeff,

How does one certain card get deemed to be the "official" RC?
Thanks.

Jeff
No clue who decided this for vintage cards.

jeff
Old 02-07-2014, 06:06 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I think when the modern rookie card rules were created, they just went and applied them to the vintage market as well. Despite the fact that it was a completely different hobby back then. And with the internet, it's a completely different hobby now.. Given the restrictions at the time, I understand designating something like the 33 Grange as his rookie. BUT nowadays, EVERYTHING(no matter how regional, or limited, the item was) is available to everyone, everywhere. Those rules and designations are simply outdated.. Forget the designations, and use your own judgment as to what you feel is a rookie.

Am I gonna let MLB and Beckett tell me that(just an example) 2008 is Evan Longoria's rookie card, just because of their rules? F*ck no. The damn guy had MLB cards in '06. Those are his rookies.. The hobby and collectors dictate the rules as to what is, or isn't, a rookie card. Not MLB, NFL, NBA, Beckett, or whoever.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 AM
John

I would agree with David. When I was a kid, if "rookie" card was documented someplace, I certainly didn't know about it. We had Fleer, Topps, and Donruss so the way I thought about it was looking at the first card in each and if there were ties i.e. 2 companies issued an 81 card and the 3rd not until 82, I considered both 81s rookies.

The only relevance I see to what someone says is a rookie is the Set Registry - something like HOF rookie set - someone made that call, but you can obviously choose not to collect the set if you disagree with the designations. The one caveat is - and I have no idea if the data bears this out - but logically if more people are collecting the 33 Grange because they are going along with the crowd, demand is higher, so the price might actually be more than one of the earlier cards.

Finally, if you throw the word rookie out the window, it would be interesting if someone could say which Grange card was first - I didn't even know those 1926 cards existed, so it isn't me.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
I would agree with David. When I was a kid, if "rookie" card was documented someplace, I certainly didn't know about it. We had Fleer, Topps, and Donruss so the way I thought about it was looking at the first card in each and if there were ties i.e. 2 companies issued an 81 card and the 3rd not until 82, I considered both 81s rookies.

The only relevance I see to what someone says is a rookie is the Set Registry - something like HOF rookie set - someone made that call, but you can obviously choose not to collect the set if you disagree with the designations. The one caveat is - and I have no idea if the data bears this out - but logically if more people are collecting the 33 Grange because they are going along with the crowd, demand is higher, so the price might actually be more than one of the earlier cards.

Finally, if you throw the word rookie out the window, it would be interesting if someone could say which Grange card was first - I didn't even know those 1926 cards existed, so it isn't me.
As far as I know, no one is sure which card in 1926 was produced first. There isn't a lot of good information about some of these sets and when they were produced.

jeff
Old 02-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Jeff

I think the larger point (to me at least) is that there really is no such thing as a Grange RC or most other players for that matter. It's largely a hobby-only construct and mostly people define it however they want, usually in a way that is most beneficial to themselves.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-07-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Carl Lamendola

I recently bought a wrapper from 1926 Shotwell. It was nearly perfect. It was between the pages of a football program from 0ct/1926. I have seen some of the promotional material and letters from the 1925 Spaldings trying to entice a baseball player to sign up. The second letter was I believe April /26. There are other grange cards which are not listed in this chain. Two different foreign ones and three exhibit cards from the movie one minute to play. I have also seen a non-sport small card of Grange that Chad Dreier showed me one time. My vote is for the 1926 Spalding which I believe there are three to four known. Most of the rare pre-war football cards that have been graded are in SGC holders so I don't think PSA has seen or even knows what some of these cards look like. If the grading companies allowed you to register any cards (forgetting about the awards) then the hobby would see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 PM

Default Grange W590

Great information Carl.

Weren't the W590 Strip Cards issued in 1925?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
I recently bought a wrapper from 1926 Shotwell. It was nearly perfect. It was between the pages of a football program from 0ct/1926. I have seen some of the promotional material and letters from the 1925 Spaldings trying to entice a baseball player to sign up. The second letter was I believe April /26. There are other grange cards which are not listed in this chain. Two different foreign ones and three exhibit cards from the movie one minute to play. I have also seen a non-sport small card of Grange that Chad Dreier showed me one time. My vote is for the 1926 Spalding which I believe there are three to four known. Most of the rare pre-war football cards that have been graded are in SGC holders so I don't think PSA has seen or even knows what some of these cards look like. If the grading companies allowed you to register any cards (forgetting about the awards) then the hobby would see

+1

The further you dig on vintage football, the more cool and interesting items you find. That's what makes collecting this stuff so interesting.

And Carl is right about the grading companies. They only want sets in there registry that they've verified there are at least two of some of the cards. They have no interest in grading one of a kind cards/sets for historical purposes so the registry is missing a LOT of cards.

jeff
Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

I agree with Carl and consider Granges true rookie t be the 26 Spalding promotional card.

Probably issued earlier than the Shotwells as the movie came out late in 1926' October I think?
I definitely give a nod to the Star Player card or the Rogers Peet as those are pretty damn close too. Most SPC cards were of college players so that could be a clue as well.

Great topic, lets see some examples
Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Carl Lamendola

Okay Joe

Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Carl Lamendola

Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Carl Lamendola

Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Jeff P

You know I love your C.A. Briggs, Carl, but you're holding out my favorite Grange of yours!

Here are some more for those who are interested.

jeff
Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Jeff P

jeff
Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Jeff P

jeff
Old 02-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Carl Lamendola

I thought Mike B. would show a few of his? Then we'll have them all shown.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Carl
agree, we have that one special card that Mike needs to show. Nice to see you post those, spectacular collection man!

Since Im a day late to the show, Ill just add a few fun things.

One card Ive always attributed to Grange is the Ya-lo set. Heck, we was president of development of the company and wrote the intro to the instruction manual, makes sense they used his image.

Ive noticed these come from different locations printed at the bottom of the redemption card. I dig the Anacortes one as I used to scuba dive there alot

Ticket stub from that famous game that put football and Grange on the map.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Almost forgot the Wheatie panel.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:30 AM
Jeff P

Great stuff, guys! Here's one that hasn't been covered.

jeff
Old 02-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
Great information Carl.

Weren't the W590 Strip Cards issued in 1925?
I know PSA designates the W590's as 1925-31 but I don't know what that means. Does it mean that ALL of the W590's were distributed in all of these years or SOME W590's were distributed in each of these years. If they were all distributed in all of these years, you might argue that his W590 card is Grange's earliest card. However its been validated that the SGC designated 1948-52 Exhibit set contains cards that were NOT produced in 1948 so who knows regarding the W590s?

It does appear that the 1926 Spalding card was produced earlier than the Shotwell sets.

Who went after the W590 Grange that just sold on ebay?

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 02-12-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The W590s were issued in 1925 then revised in 1931. Dating can be determined from caption and subject changes on some of the subjects. For example this card of Benny Leonard identifies him as champ; he retired in 1925.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Carl Lamendola

I have another football player from the set while on Columbia, but SGC notated Grange and Koppisch as W580s not W590s 1925-31Koppisch played for Columbia in 1924, the Buffalo Bisons of the NFL in 1925, and the NY Giants in 1926. So, I think its difficult to pin down a year?

Last edited by clamendo; 02-13-2014 at 06:32 AM. Reason: modify