NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Joe P.

Default A History Of The Cards In The Russell Collection

I tried to do a little research on the Russell collection, and I came up with this. ... I really would love to see it.

After reading the below link, I was left with the feeling that the author was not breaking down the Richard Russell collection, but moreso, giving the readers his history of the T206 set.
I say his history, because he has a picture of the Cobb/Ty Cobb back, and I'm from the school of it not being part of the T206 set ... JMHO.
The picture of the Doyle, is also part of the history of the T206 set.
Anyone seen the collection?

What is your read?

Is there a Doyle error, and Ty Cobb back in the Richard Russell collection?

http://www.libs.uga.edu/russell/exhi...ll/about.shtml
Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Senator Russell's collection

There is a legitimate Joe Doyle error card and a Ty Cobb back card in this collection. Russell acquired them in 1910.
His near complete T206 set and 100's of T210 cards are on display at the Univ. of Georgia (Athens, GA).

I've yet to see this collection, but I have purchased T206's from Russell's family. A friend of mine did go to the U. of
Georgia to view this collection and confirmed the Doyle and the Ty Cobb cards. He gave me a general description of
this collection.

I plan to personally see the collection on a forthcoming trip to Florida.

TED Z
Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Michael C

I am in Georgia a lot for work. It looked like the collection is NOT on permanent display. Does anyone know if it is viewable anytime?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Michael C

To see the Russell collection you have to contact the U of GA and make an appointment.

TED Z
Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 AM

If there is ever a group field trip to see the collection, I would be interesting in coming over. I am on the west side of ATL.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Joe P.

Default Anyone in the Area?

Just like back in the late 1980's, I tried to make a list of the known Wagners.
This was before eBay, and the everyday use of the PC.
It was fun ... It was like a baseball card family tree ... and I came up with 45 ... not bad for pre PC. ... I went to quite a few shows all over the country then, and got to meet some of the sources.

The article mentions that Russell had 497 of the known 524 ... missing 27.
Although, it is not impossible, you have to admit, that having both the Doyle error, and the Ty Cobb back can be questionable ... especially when the article is more about the history of the set, than the break down of Russell's T206 set.

We're talking about a collection that is held at the library of the University of Georgia ... that's open to the public at the U of Georgia's discretion.
Therefore, it is not a mystery, nor a secretive situation ... the information is there to be had.

I'm trying to do another baseball card family tree ... this time on the Doyle error card.

Ted, you mentioned that you have a friend that comfirmed the Doyle error, and Ty Cobb back cards.
Being that this is not a mystery, nor a secretive situation ... What is your source's name? ... Thank you.

To any of my fellow collectors in the Georgia area, or anywhere else in the country that happens to be in that area ... Please help this 78 year old geezer, that still believes in going after the facts ... by digging deep for it.

To all ... Thanks for your help.
jOE
Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 AM
S Gross

Living in Savannah for 7 years, I have yet to go to Athens. It would be a fun trip someday.

And, what a great web-site. I knew I always like Bergen of Brooklyn, but could never put my finger on why.......

"Bergen is a fine catcher, and would be finer still but for his desire to live well. Out this way we have rumors that now and then Bergen is late reporting for duty, all because he met some friends who will invite him to have a bite to eat, etc. Not caring about being churlish, he accepts, and will look on life as a round of pleasure. Time will come when the Brooklyn man will get down to solid base playing and forget good things in the pleasure line."
-- A 1906 Pittsburgh sportswriter on Bill Bergen, whose lifetime batting average was .170.

........... now I know (italics added)
Old 05-15-2009, 01:15 PM

I couldn't open the Baseball Card Database. I would really like to know which T210 cards are in the collection, especially the Series 6 cards.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Russell collection

Sen. Russell smoked Piedmont and Old Mill cigarettes at the early age of 13. His collection comprises of over 1000 cards he pulled
from T-packs in the 1910 - 1911 era. Half of which are T206's and the rest of which are cards divided primarily between T205's &
T210's.

To answer the question of the T210's......I doubt if he acquired a Joe Jax or a Stengel, since he grew up near the Atlanta area.

But, he was fortunate enough to get a T206 Doyle error & a Ty Cobb back. Both of these cards were issued in 1910 in his region.

I've purchased quite a few T206's from Russell's collection. A year ago Russell's Great-Grand Daughter was selling his duplicates.

Very interesting is....that virtually all of his T206' are Piedmont 350's (even the tough to find T206's with the Piedmont 350 back).
This fact is consistent with him having the Doyle error.

TED Z
Old 05-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Jason Jones

I live in Marietta, Ga now, but received my graduate degree from UGA a few years ago. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't know of the Russell collection until after I'd left. I plan on taking a weekday trip out to Athens in the next couple of weeks. If no one can get out there before me, I'll try to get a look at the collection and take some notes (I'm also going out there tomorrow, but I don't think his collection is viewable on weekends).
Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Jason Jones

Call the Library at the U of G and make an appointment to view Russell's collection when you expect to be there.

I would like to contact you prior to you being there....if you don't mind.

TED Z
Old 05-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Ralph

That is amazing that the Doyle error card would be in the collection since it is a very scarce card.Out of curiosity what is the overall condition of these cards?
Thanks.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Jason Jones

Hey Ted,

I've made an appointment to view the collection Wednesday afternoon. Let me know what kind of info you'd like and I'll do my best.

Jason
Jayjones82@gmail.com
Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Michael C

Cool Jason. Take a lot of digital pictures.