NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default ...when you could still read their name

disclaimer: this isn't a 'beautiful early autographs' thread

Post 'before and after' autograph pics of players whose autographs changed.

Here's an oddity - Mike Schmidt's 1973 autograph, and his 'modern' one. His might have actually gotten better (the first one is real, as I got it in person, the second one - I have no idea )

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

I posted a very similar thread about a year ago, with the same results.

I have to wonder (please PM me if you have the answer and don't feel comfortable posting publicly)....am I treading on territory that is politically hazardous for board members to respond to?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 PM
J Stone

Guy buys a signed Gary Gaetti card from me that I got in person (looks like the 87 Topps below, then says "this is a forgery, I know Gary and he didn't sign this".

I emailed him back and said fine, no problem, but I think his signature changed for some reason and sent him a scan of a certified insert card I found online.

Guy emails me back and says "OK, I talked to Gary and he did change it".

Still don't know why...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87t_gaetti.jpg (9.9 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg gaetti.jpg (7.2 KB, 325 views)
Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Guy buys a signed Gary Gaetti card from me that I got in person (looks like the 87 Topps below, then says "this is a forgery, I know Gary and he didn't sign this".

I emailed him back and said fine, no problem, but I think his signature changed for some reason and sent him a scan of a certified insert card I found online.

Still don't know why...
More interesting question is if you have Gary Gaetti on speed dial, why are you trying to buy signed cards of his online?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
More interesting question is if you have Gary Gaetti on speed dial, why are you trying to buy signed cards of his online?
I don't think the guy was trying to buy the card - he was just flaming the seller.

But this sheds light on why no one's posting - too much controversy over autographs that have changed over the years. I was hoping someone would post an early Mantle, but those who own them are probably afraid they might be forgeries. Just guessing.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM
J Stone

Quote:
LOL those were my thoughts, exactly!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

The story as told to me is that around 1988 Gary found religion, changed his hard attitude/partying ways, and changed his signature as well. If you ask him to sign with his old signature he will. Or at least he did a few years back.

Like Schmidt, Kirby Puckett's signature became better looking with time as well.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I don't think the guy was trying to buy the card - he was just flaming the seller.

But this sheds light on why no one's posting - too much controversy over autographs that have changed over the years. I was hoping someone would post an early Mantle, but those who own them are probably afraid they might be forgeries. Just guessing.
But he bought it, and demanded a refund after. Seems like a lot of work to trash a seller.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Jon Canfield

I have a pretty extensive Kennedy collection. Here's a progression from 1956, to 1958 to the 1960 campaign trail (except these got worse with time):

Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
The story as told to me is that around 1988 Gary found religion, changed his hard attitude/partying ways, and changed his signature as well. If you ask him to sign with his old signature he will. Or at least he did a few years back.

Like Schmidt, Kirby Puckett's signature became better looking with time as well.
What got me to thinking about this was the 1981 Negro Leagues reunion ball in the current Huggins & Scott auction. Willie Mays actually signed his name upside-down, and mostly on top of another signature. Really ridiculous. I compared the Mays signature to his older ones from the '60s, and to his current ones. Mays went from signing readably to signing barely-recognizably, to signing incredibly mediocre.

I always have my eyes open for team-signed balls from pre-1970 teams that I was interested in, and every now and then I'll see one where players from a '60s team, signed a ball more recently. Boy is there a world of difference. I wouldn't own a ball where I couldn't read the majority of the signatures.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I have a few examples in my database where the signature was the same over a 25-30 year period and others that are so different that collectors would think they were forgeries. Here is one example: Mark Spitz. The first one was signed in 1969, possible in person at the University of Indiana. The second one is the more familiar signature. Signed 1996 at a Sears in Framingham, MA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spitz,-Mark-(1969).jpg (5.2 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg Spitz,-Mark-(1996).jpg (4.0 KB, 298 views)
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

There is pride and there is lazy. In todays world it seems to be just lazy.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post

Still don't know why...
He changed his signature, probably because someone told him, no one recognizes this signature.

Just saw an interview with Arnold Palmer, last week at his tournament. His Grandson, I think it's his grandson was signing autographs when he joined the golf tour. Arnie says "Why are you signing something no one can read or know who signed?" With that, Sam his grandson starting signing his signature so that you can actually see who signed.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Think about your own signature. In my 20s and 30s it was pretty precise and legible. Over time mine has morphed a bit. Now I'm 58 and it's lazy and sloppy. I generally leave off the last letter of my first name and the last two letters of the last name. Replaced with a kind of lazy slash. I also can remember a few times when I was so drunk or hungover that it was surprising the bank even cleared my check!
Old 03-29-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
+100 LOL
Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe because as a friend he felt awkward asking him for an autograph. Players have so many people the try to "leach" off of them that he does not want to appear that the friendship is just based upon the fact that he is a former baseball player. I have purchased autograph items on eBay myself rather than asking a friend to sign something.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Dan Bretta

I know this is not baseball related, but I had just wondered about this last week when at the antique show I was scrounging through an antique dealers ephemera box and found a Deanna Durbin autograph for $3.50...a little card is attached to it that says it was acquired in the 1940s at the State Theatre in Cleveland. I looked at Ebay to compare the sigs and it looks nothing like what she signs now. When I bought it I didn't even think she was still alive, but she's still around. Would someone fake her autograph? Anyone know what her sig looked like 70 years ago?

edited to add: If you look at this link it appears her autograph has changed so many times that I'm not sure it would be possible to authenticate it.

http://www.deannadurbindevotees.com/...bin-autographs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg durbin.jpg (55.0 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 03-30-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post

Early Mantle's -1956,1951,1952
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle-56ap.jpg (69.7 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg mantle-1951.jpg (79.2 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg mantle-1952.jpg (6.9 KB, 208 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

How about ole' TSW?

By the way, when did he change over to the style we're all familiar with?

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ted Wms Vintage.jpg (69.8 KB, 201 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 08:24 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadballfreaK View Post
Think about your own signature. In my 20s and 30s it was pretty precise and legible. Over time mine has morphed a bit. Now I'm 58 and it's lazy and sloppy. I generally leave off the last letter of my first name and the last two letters of the last name. Replaced with a kind of lazy slash. I also can remember a few times when I was so drunk or hungover that it was surprising the bank even cleared my check!
You think that's something - check out this signature from singer Belinda Carlisle! And this is a check, a legal document - not a quick scribble hastily done for a fan.

(Personal information deleted from image for security purposes.)
Old 11-28-2014, 06:23 AM

Does anyone find that their signature is similar to a parent or sibling? I have the same first name as my father, and we sign it almost identical. The first time he watched me do it he thought I was trying to mimic him and he got a little upset. I had to assure him it was natural.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Michael I.

my signature is identical to my fathers as well
Old 11-29-2014, 06:53 AM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
my signature is identical to my fathers as well
Too lazy to pull out examples but Cal Ripken Jr, clearly either copied or was heavily influenced by his dad's signature.