NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Default To Cross or not to cross, that is the question.

Posted By: Dean H

Ok, here is my situation. I have a T206 Matty Black Cap GAI5 that I want to get into an SGC holder. The problem is I tried to cross it at the National last year and it would not cross due to a couple light surface wrinkles. I declined to have the card crossed at a lower grade but now I kind of wish I had. I have no intentions of selling it but I did not want to hurt the value if for some unforseen reason I had to sell it. Maybe I'm kind of crazy wanting it in an SGC holder but I think they present so much better in their holders. It's not grossly overgraded, actually it was originally a PSA 5 that I crossed over to GAI a couple years ago myself, so realistically it's a very high end 50/4. Since I'm perfectly happy with the card should I be concerned about losing any future value in lowering the grade? Would anybody else consider taking the value hit and cross the card to a lower grade? Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Dean

Old 05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

No your not crazy for wanting to do that. I prefer SGC also. In my humble opinion, an SGC50, & GAI5 are worth about the same.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

nice card! if you like sgc holders and all your cards(at least 206's) are in sgc holders get it in a sgc holder. if you have all different holders keep as is.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

I would cross it over. GAI graded cards are not very strong right now. In fact i think it is worth more in an sgc 50 than a gai 5. And will present much better!

Old 05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Dean, Nice Matty. I would just keep the card as is for now. Down the road, if you need to sell it, you can decide who the strongeest third party grader is at that time and cross at that time.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Well...if your ever going to sell it, I'd cross it over to a PSA 5 if it would cross as you say it did before....sorry folks, but if you don't believe me look at prices for Matty's in midgrade with PSA and SGC.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

agreed, if you are going to resell and think you can get it back into a psa 5 go for it. It will move just as well or better then an sgc 60 would. As far as choosing between the gai 5 and the sgc 50 its a toss up IMO. GAI grades have been moving a grade below or sometimes more in price with these cards.