NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-04-2023, 11:24 PM
Charles Jackson

Default Top 5 pitchers in baseball today?

Who are the top 5 pitchers playing right now? I am talking about who will have the best overall career?

I think Verlander, Kershaw and Scherzer are probably a lock for top 3, but not sure after that. I am not sure which other current pitchers will get near to the level of those 3, if any.

If I had to choose two others, I'd go with Greinke and Cole, but there are some younger guys to consider such as Spencer Strider, Blake Snell, Shane McClanahan, Zac Gallen.

DeGrom would have been up there without the latest injury.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 09-05-2023 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:28 AM
Jeremy

I think if there's one thing I miss most about baseball today compared to the baseball I grew up with (1990s) it's that there isn't a single starting pitcher whose starts are an event that all of baseball really pays attention to. I remember it being a big deal when Gregg Maddux or Pedro Martinez was scheduled to start - it got national attention, and you would tune in just to watch them pitch. There isn't a single starter today that I would tune in just to watch them pitch.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 09-05-2023, 09:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Wainwright is probably up there but I would rate him below Greinke and Cole, especially with the awful year he is having, he should have retired. Bumgarner really fell off the table a few years ago.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:17 PM
Mark

If we're being honest, baseball card collectors seem to have the worst record in predicting who will be great pitchers (see Brian Taylor, Todd Von Poppel etc al)
Old 09-06-2023, 12:07 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Top 5 pitchers in baseball today?

I agree with your 1-5; Verlander, Kershaw, Scherzer, Greinke, and Cole. I do feel like Kershaw has time to leapfrog Verlander depending on health. It does feel like those five are the last of a generation. Unfortunately, with the unhealthy focus on velocity, arms are getting abused. Seems like every pitcher has had TJ surgery, some even a second time! Ohtani was fun to watch, even if it seems it was short lived. Keep an eye on Buehler. If he can avoid any more setbacks and finish his career the way it started he will own every postseason pitching record in the book (wins, strikeouts, innings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 4reals; 09-06-2023 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reals View Post
I agree with your 1-5; Verlander, Kershaw, Scherzer, Greinke, and Cole. I do feel like Kershaw has time to leapfrog Verlander depending on health. It does feel like those five are the last of a generation. Unfortunately, with the unhealthy focus on velocity, arms are getting abused. Seems like every pitcher has had TJ surgery, some even a second time! Ohtani was fun to watch, even if it seems it was short lived. Keep an eye on Buehler. If he can avoid any more setbacks and finish his career the way it started he will own every postseason pitching record in the book (wins, strikeouts, innings).

What am I missing, he has three postseason wins at age 29.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:28 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What am I missing, he has three postseason wins at age 29.

He’s on his way, lol…

Old 09-06-2023, 04:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He’s on his way, lol…

Pettite had 19 and Verlander has 16 lol.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:41 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Quote:
Pettite had 19 and Verlander has 16 lol.

So you’re saying there’s a chance!

Old 09-06-2023, 04:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
So you’re saying there’s a chance!

The way Dave Roberts uses pitchers in the playoffs.... not much.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:34 PM

I don't follow modern baseball much at all, but what about Jacob deGrom? Or is he more of a top 10 pitcher, not so much top 5?
Old 09-06-2023, 05:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I don't follow modern baseball much at all, but what about Jacob deGrom? Or is he more of a top 10 pitcher, not so much top 5?
As Charles mentioned, his latest major injury at his age and the career projections based on that takes him out of the top 5. I guess he's still top 10 based on past performance, which at times was other worldly. IMO no question the best pitcher in baseball over the past decade, when he managed to stay healthy which wasn't often enough. You just can't start as late as he did, and spend so much time on the DL, and expect to be a HOF pitcher.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-06-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:13 PM
Charles Jackson

Verlander facing off vs. Scherzer tonight. Free game on MLB.TV
Old 09-06-2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
As Charles mentioned, his latest major injury at his age and the career projections based on that takes him out of the top 5. I guess he's still top 10 based on past performance, which at times was other worldly. IMO no question the best pitcher in baseball over the past decade, when he managed to stay healthy which wasn't often enough. You just can't start as late as he did, and spend so much time on the DL, and expect to be a HOF pitcher.
Ah, gotcha, thanks, Peter -- makes sense. I did a search for "degrom" before asking about him but somehow missed Charles' mention right in the first post.
Old 09-07-2023, 04:30 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
If we're being honest, baseball card collectors seem to have the worst record in predicting who will be great pitchers (see Brian Taylor, Todd Von Poppel etc al)
I think Stephen Strasburg had the most hype, but only had a couple of elite years. Won the 2019 World Series MVP though.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 09-07-2023 at 04:37 AM.