NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Ask a stupid question that can be answered about baseball

I understand that many of you know everything about baseball, even if you disagree among yourselves.

This thread is not for you. It is for those of us, who have a question, that can be answered, but you don't know the answer. Anything related to baseball is fair game. If you know the answer to one of the questions, just quote it and provide the answer. Simple.

When complete, this thread will serve as an invaluable resource. Learn it and amaze your co-workers and friends with your in depth knowledge of the game.

This is not a contest, but rather a public service. One question per post please. I will post the first question.

In the good old days before 2017, when intentional walks required four pitches before the batter was awarded first base, were those four pitches credited to the pitcher and his all important "pitch count"?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

In the good old days before 2017, when intentional walks required four pitches before the batter was awarded first base, were those four pitches credited to the pitcher and his all important "pitch count"?

Yes. If not then the IBB that got converted because a batter swung would have gotten on base without a pitched ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YzVvtxoaY

Last edited by bn2cardz; 09-15-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Brandon V.

Quote:
The pitches associated with an intentional walk do count towards the pitchers total count. With the rule change in 2017, you can either signal for an intentional walk (which is what all teams pretty much do now) or still throw four intentional balls (like before 2017).

Some people are of the thought that the rule minimizes wear and tear on a pitcher from discouraging managers and players to try to pitch around a batter during an intentional walk.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Yes. If not then the IBB that got converted because a batter swung would have gotten on base without a pitched ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YzVvtxoaY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSeven View Post
The pitches associated with an intentional walk do count towards the pitchers total count. With the rule change in 2017, you can either signal for an intentional walk (which is what all teams pretty much do now) or still throw four intentional balls (like before 2017).

Some people are of the thought that the rule minimizes wear and tear on a pitcher from discouraging managers and players to try to pitch around a batter during an intentional walk.
That's what i thought. So if I was a young starting pitcher with a pitch count ceiling of 80, I would be relieved (due to fatigue) if I issued 20 intentional walks at the beginning of the game. If softballs lobbed for intentional walks are counted, why not count the pitches thrown in the bull pen. Just saying'.

Let's see another stupid question. No question is too stupid.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Okay, Frank - I have one for you:

Assuming that, for the few late afternoon or 'twilight'- scheduled games, there would be a natural advantage, at least for a portion of that game, for batters if home plate was facing east and for pitchers if home plate was facing west due to the direct sunlight and the glare that accompanies that.

Presuming, based on that previous assumption, that a truly neutral ballpark would be sure to have home plate face either directly north or south, why isn't there are rule to so assure that all parks are designed to fit this north-south detail?

That might not exactly qualify as a 'stupid' question, but it is one I have pondered for a while.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-15-2017, 12:30 PM
Brandon V.

Rule 1.04. It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second base shall run East-Northeast.

That would contradict your thinking completely.

http://www.fangraphs.com/tht/lost-in...k-orientation/
Old 09-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Rule 1.04. It is desirable that the line from home base through the pitchers plate to second base shall run East-Northeast.

That would contradict your thinking completely.

http://www.fangraphs.com/tht/lost-in...k-orientation/
This desirability would seem moot for enclosed domed stadia. However this would depend on whether you consider the meaning of moot to be debatable or irrelevant.

Miller Park has a retractable roof, but is not enclosed from the setting sun due to windows, that can create "very unusual" shadows on the field of play in late afternoon games.

I believe the home plate-2B axis runs NW-SE in Milwaukee, which is also unusual.

You'd think this could result in a home field advantage for the "Brew Crew", if they only could figure out what that advantage is.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 09-15-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Brandon V.

The layout of stadiums is by far one of the most interesting aspects of MLB baseball in my opinion.

So many unique quirks at each park.

Last edited by MrSeven; 09-15-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:16 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
The layout of stadiums is by far one of the most interesting aspects of MLB baseball in my opinion.

Some many unique quirks at each park.
Absolutely!! I picked up a couple of books, 'Lost Ballparks' and 'Ballparks Yesterday & Today,' which go over all the cool aspects of the old time stadiums. Very cool stuff! (And anything that could make Shea Stadium seem like a monument on par with Mt. Rushmore is fine by me.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:58 AM

S'funny -- when we were young, and some ignorance was excusable and even expected, we were embarrassed to admit we didn't know something.
Now that we're old and actually know a few things, we no longer have much compunction about asking a stupid question. So here goes:
How many different baseball cards (not multiple examples of the same card) have sold for more than $100,000.?
Don't need an exact number, a (ahem) ballpark figure will do.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 09-19-2017, 11:15 PM

Apologies, we somehow got the idea that this thread was for stupid questions about anything related to baseball.
Judging by the lack of response to our question above, we evidently broke the Stupid meter.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:58 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
S'funny -- when we were young, and some ignorance was excusable and even expected, we were embarrassed to admit we didn't know something.
Now that we're old and actually know a few things, we no longer have much compunction about asking a stupid question. So here goes:
How many different baseball cards (not multiple examples of the same card) have sold for more than $100,000.?
Don't need an exact number, a (ahem) ballpark figure will do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Apologies, we somehow got the idea that this thread was for stupid questions about anything related to baseball.
Judging by the lack of response to our question above, we evidently broke the Stupid meter.
You forgot the second part of this thread "If you know the answer to one of the questions, just quote it and provide the answer."

Just because someone didn't respond doesn't mean it isn't a valid question, it could very well be that no one reading the post knows the answer.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM
Robert Williams

I think I know the answer to this, but I am unsure. It involves betting purposes....say a team is down 4-3....bottom of the 9th...and the batter hits a GRAND SLAM!!!! Fan rush the field to celebrate (it's a playoff game)....for Vegas purposes, what would the "official" final score be? I believe the score would be 5-4...enough to win, but all other baserunners are disallowed?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
You forgot the second part of this thread "If you know the answer to one of the questions, just quote it and provide the answer."

Just because someone didn't respond doesn't mean it isn't a valid question, it could very well be that no one reading the post knows the answer.
I think the best answer is too many to give an accurate number.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

How come Joe DiMaggio won 9 world championships and Ted Williams won none?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Trust me, the questions are out there and many have valid answers.

However, to ask such a question can be a self-deprecating admission of stupidity, for someone who looks in the mirror and sees a baseball expert.

Instead of posting a question in this thread, such individuals are motivated to "Google" incessantly to find their own answer to reinforce their potentially flawed belief that they are in fact baseball know-it-alls.

If there is someone out there in the Net54 universe, who doesn't know how to "Google", let's hear from you.

Rather than getting too philosophical about the success or failure of this thread, I shall post another stupid question.

Given the "fact"? that draining water circles the drain in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere, do Australian baseball batters run to third base instead of first base after hitting the ball?

And the obvious corollary, what if batters could run to either first or third base when batting depending on where the ball was hit? Of course they would have to continue in the same direction to score a run. Think of the possibilities.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 09-21-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:48 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
I shall post another stupid question.

Given the "fact" that draining water circles the drain in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere, do Australian baseball batters run to third base instead of first base after hitting the ball?

And the obvious corollary, what if batters could run to either first or third base when batting depending on where the ball was hit? Of course they would have to continue in the same direction to score a run. Think of the possibilities.
Your question is based on a myth. Draining water does not go in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere. I found this out on an episode of Myth Busters.

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp
Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Brandon V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
How come Joe DiMaggio won 9 world championships and Ted Williams won none?
Lou Gehrig, Lefty Gomez, Bill Dickey, Red Ruffing, Tommy Henrich, Phil Rizzuto, Yogi Berra, and Marilyn Mon... err I mean Mickey Mantle.

It's somewhat crazy to think that DiMaggio played with both Lou Gehrig & Mickey Mantle.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 PM
D0NN1E B

Bob Watson scored the 1,000,000 run in mlb history, I remember this. Has the 2,000,000 run been scored?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default pitchers

When right handed pitchers throw curve balls, do they always curve in the same direction?

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 View Post
Bob Watson scored the 1,000,000 run in mlb history, I remember this. Has the 2,000,000 run been scored?
I went ahead and Googled. The answer is no... Maybe 4 more years. This was a huge event with countdown clocks in the stadiums in 1975... I didn't realize.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Brandon V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
When right handed pitchers throw curve balls, do they always curve in the same direction?
I believe yes. The direction that the curve ball breaks is due to the way the pitcher puts the spin on the ball.

That is the reason the screwball exists.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:21 AM

Well, we got finally got something of a real answer to our spectacularly stupid question, anyway, which we had indeed Binged and Googled
without finding anything definitive before we ever dared ask it here. Really, we thought we were probably the only guys on this entire board
who didn't have a correct and ready answer for that one off the tops of their heads. We'd guessed "maybe 15?"
A friend and fellow board member writes us off-list to provide this link:
http://sports.gunaxin.com/most-value...l-cards/195571

Last edited by Butch7999; 09-22-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Robert Williams

Question

My question never got answered...does no one know?>??????
Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I think I know the answer to this, but I am unsure. It involves betting purposes....say a team is down 4-3....bottom of the 9th...and the batter hits a GRAND SLAM!!!! Fan rush the field to celebrate (it's a playoff game)....for Vegas purposes, what would the "official" final score be? I believe the score would be 5-4...enough to win, but all other baserunners are disallowed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
My question never got answered...does no one know?>??????
In the walk-off situation, a home run is a home run as long as the batter and runners touch all the bases to complete the home run. The official score in a 4-4 tied game ending with a grand slam would therfore be 8-4.

If the winning hit is less than a home run, the batter must reach first base.
Only the lead runner scores and the game is over. The final score would be 5-4.

The umpires may use some discretion if fans on the field interfere with the "completion of a home run" that prevents the batter from reaching home. They have ruled both ways crediting one such batter with a home run and another with a single.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 09-24-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:11 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
What about the Southern Hemisphere?
Old 09-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
What about the Southern Hemisphere?
Sinkers rise in the Southern Hemisphere.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.