NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM
Marty

Default Robert Gould statuettes

Finally got around to making a case for my Robert Gould figures like I made for my Tastee Freez and Big League sets a few years back. (posted here http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=gould) Pretty happy with it, I think, although I am not able to find a couple of figures I was pretty sure I had – lost somewhere in my collection abyss apparently! I was able to pick up a few original contracts signed by a featured player and Robert Gould – I have matted the original Don Newcombe contract with Gould in the center. Made the compartments big enough to hold the cards also, and I have a few I put in, but the price of the cards will probably keep me from ever getting close to a full set of those!

I have also included 3 (or maybe 2) variations of the trophies that were made featuring the Gould figures a few years later, this time in silver. One has the 1959 World Series plaque, the other two do not, although I suppose it is possible someone expertly removed the plaque off of one of them. The other is different in both that it has a black base, and also the name being included on the base (Ray Boone). All of the ones that I have seen in the past with the 1959 World Series plaque have no name on the base but are clearly the same mold as the original player (like the Hank Thompson and (maybe) the Smokey Burgess I have). Anybody have any more information on these small trophies, or additional styles?

I also included in the center two of the original Baby Ruth/Butterfinger order forms that let folks order the figures in sets of 7, for 50 cents and two wrappers. Maybe I should take a shot and send the order form in with two quarters and 2 wrappers! I don’t see an offer expiration date!

Happy collecting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gould_case.jpg (65.6 KB, 708 views)
Old 12-04-2017, 06:29 PM

Very impressive, that really looks great. I have Ashburn but not the card. However I did find a booklet of all the player cards which will have to do. You probably have the booklet too, but if you don’t, let me know and I will try to post some pictures.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:27 PM

I always thought these were kind of neat, but never really appreciated them fully. Your display, with the dark background, allows these to really stand out visually. Extremely well done.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
I always thought these were kind of neat, but never really appreciated them fully. Your display, with the dark background, allows these to really stand out visually. Extremely well done.
+1

I also enjoyed the link to your Tastee Freeze collection.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:23 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Great display!! I pick up a tastee freeze statue now and then, love the way you display them with the advertisement.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Marty

Thanks! The booklet is pretty neat. From what I understand, the individual figures were sold rubber banded to a card, and the boxed sets of 7 included the booklet that contained a page for each card. I don't have the booklet yet, but I will grab one eventually I think!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Mike

That is an outstanding collection.

Mike
Old 12-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Robert Gould Statues

Hi Marty:

GREAT looking display. You and I are soul brothers with the figurals! I started on the Goulds, Big League and Tastee Freez about a year ago. Still looking for a few.

Namely Gould Kluzewski and Zernial and Big League Replacements for Hodges and Snider.

Below are a few oddball things and an ad from Walgreens in Chicago from September 24, 1959 I found researching something else I will be posting about later.

First the ad. As you will read they sold four "generic" golden Gould's, a catcher, pitcher, fielder and batter on an ivory base. Strange the ad says the statues are "golden" while Marty's and the Mays and Thompson below are chrome/silver. Marty, what does the plaque say on yours? The reason I ask about the plaque is because if you look at one of the photos below the plaque on the Thompson says:

Souvenir 1959 World Series Chicago vs. SAN FRANCISCO.

Of course the White Sox played the Dodgers in the Series. Strangely the plaque in the ad states: Chicago White Sox American League Champs 1959. So I wonder if there are different plaques?

You will also see a chrome/silver Mays on an ivory base with no plaque, neither the Thompson or Mays has the players name on the base.

So it appears the Walgreen generic catcher is the Burgess, the batter is Mays, the fielder is Thompson. Now we have to find a pitcher on the ivory base to see which pitcher they used.

Others shown are a chrome/silver Ashburn with name atop a brown base with the plaque engraved " St. Columba 1961", a solid red (???) Porterfield no name, a gold Ashburn with his name.

Hopefully others can add info on these.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walgreens ad 2_000188.jpg (89.5 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg Gould 1.JPG (38.1 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg Gould3.JPG (28.6 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2257.jpg (70.5 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2258.jpg (73.0 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2259.jpg (75.7 KB, 561 views)
Old 12-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi Marty:

GREAT looking display. You and I are soul brothers with the figurals! I started on the Goulds, Big League and Tastee Freez about a year ago. Still looking for a few.

Namely Gould Kluzewski and Zernial and Big League Replacements for Hodges and Snider.

Below are a few oddball things and an ad from Walgreens in Chicago from September 24, 1959 I found researching something else I will be posting about later.

First the ad. As you will read they sold four "generic" golden Gould's, a catcher, pitcher, fielder and batter on an ivory base. Strange the ad says the statues are "golden" while Marty's and the Mays and Thompson below are chrome/silver. Marty, what does the plaque say on yours? The reason I ask about the plaque is because if you look at one of the photos below the plaque on the Thompson says:

Souvenir 1959 World Series Chicago vs. SAN FRANCISCO.

Of course the White Sox played the Dodgers in the Series. Strangely the plaque in the ad states: Chicago White Sox American League Champs 1959. So I wonder if there are different plaques?

You will also see a chrome/silver Mays on an ivory base with no plaque, neither the Thompson or Mays has the players name on the base.

So it appears the Walgreen generic catcher is the Burgess, the batter is Mays, the fielder is Thompson. Now we have to find a pitcher on the ivory base to see which pitcher they used.

Others shown are a chrome/silver Ashburn with name atop a brown base with the plaque engraved " St. Columba 1961", a solid red (???) Porterfield no name, a gold Ashburn with his name.

Hopefully others can add info on these.

Fred
OMG, those prices!

As a Giants collector, I love the Giants faux pas.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:07 PM
Marty

Hey Fred!

Soul brothers we are! Thanks for sharing the ad - that is some good info! Thompson/Mays/Burgess/???? might round out the official list of WS related trophies. I have seen the Mays and the Hank Thompson on occasion, but hadn't seen a Burgess, and have not seen a pitcher. My Thompson has a different inscription, no mention of the phantom Giants!

I did see that red Newcombe figure a while back, and really wasn't sure what to make of it, to be honest. Probably no way of ever knowing its origin 60 years on, but maybe more like it will turn up.

I have included a pic of another contract to show the contract language. The person I picked up the contracts from also had some of the figures in small boxes that he believed were used to distribute some of these figures individually. That would have obviously been different than the retail rubber banded figure card combo. Maybe the Gould company kept them in these boxes, or maybe they were shipped to the store in the small boxes where they were then removed for sale. The boxes look vintage and are perfect size for a figure with a card. Another mystery.

Happy collecting!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171212_143359.jpg (66.5 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg 20171212_143553.jpg (67.5 KB, 483 views)
Old 12-12-2017, 01:13 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Thanks for another reason Leon should figure out how to put a like button on this forum.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Gould Package

Hi Guys:

I contacted a good friend and he sent along the below. It shows two Gould's in one package for 29 cents! Mays and Wynn.

Anyone else have one of these?

Sorry, no matter what I try I can't get the photo to be right side up. It is OK in the file on my computer.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gould Mays Wynn.jpg (69.6 KB, 440 views)

Last edited by whiteymet; 12-14-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:15 PM
Marty

That is really cool, Fred! Never seen them in a package of two before. I have seen individual cards with a 19c stamp on them, so I assumed they were sold either as individuals or in the boxes of 7 (which maybe was only through the Baby Ruth send in?)

Anyway, tell your friend I will DOUBLE the original price and give him 58 cents for it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gould Mays Wynn.jpg (65.3 KB, 441 views)

Last edited by laughlinfan; 12-14-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: So I don't need to turn my laptop upside down!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Found a Gould package

Hi Gang:

Managed to find my own Robert Gould statue package. Unfortunately no Mays like the one my friend has.

As a matter of fact probably the worst duo you could imagine Jim Finigan and Sid Gordon, but I'm not complaining.

Now I'd like to find one of the box versions that had multiple statues.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gould package.jpg (66.9 KB, 406 views)
Old 03-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Found a Gould package

Hi Gang:

Managed to find my own Robert Gould statue package. Unfortunately no Mays like the one my friend has.

As a matter of fact probably the worst duo you could imagine Jim Finigan and Sid Gordon, but I'm not complaining.

Now I'd like to find one of the box versions that had multiple statues.

Fred
Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 PM
Marty

Nice find, Fred! Maybe a nice Mays/Banks combo exists somewhere! If it does, I think you will find it!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 AM
Mike

I'm unfamiliar with these statues. Is there a checklist of players produced? Can they be pricey?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesjetsfan View Post
I'm unfamiliar with these statues. Is there a checklist of players produced? Can they be pricey?

Thanks,

Mike
I have a few. Started with a Billy Pierce. Just picked up my second Pierce for display from a Net54er (Hey Tony). Link below has checklist. In my experience the prices vary widely. Those unopened packages are new to me. Very cool items!

https://www.insidetheparkcollectible...aspx?blogid=13
Old 03-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I have a few. Started with a Billy Pierce. Just picked up my second Pierce for display from a Net54er (Hey Tony). Link below has checklist. In my experience the prices vary widely. Those unopened packages are new to me. Very cool items!

https://www.insidetheparkcollectible...aspx?blogid=13
Thanks Commish. I appreciate it.

Mike
Old 03-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughlinfan View Post
Nice find, Fred! Maybe a nice Mays/Banks combo exists somewhere! If it does, I think you will find it!
Thanks Marty.

Do you recall seeing Goulds in boxes by set A set B etc.? The booklet came in the box IIRC.

Maybe I saw them here on Net 54. Will have to do some digging

Fred
Old 03-17-2018, 06:40 PM
Clint

Great display. Reminds me of a scene from Clash of the Titans.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:17 AM
Marty

Thanks to the latest ITPC auction, I was able to get a Gus Bell upgrade to complete my 28 figure set. Guessing I got my first figure in the set about 45 years ago, so definitely a long and winding road to completion!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gould.jpg (70.0 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by laughlinfan; 12-13-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:11 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Very nice display and congrats on the upgrade

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-13-2021, 11:44 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Hi Marty!

Glad you were able to complete your set after all these years! Congrats.

Do you have any of the cards? I am still looking for some. Namely #'s 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, and 27

Fred
Old 12-14-2021, 04:53 AM
John

Here is my complete set of Gould figures.

Each of my original figures is labeled and put in one of those deep card holders. I used a photo copy of their original card as the background and sized it for the case. I am an Oriole fan and have just one original card...the Joe Coleman...I have that in a separate Orioles display with a duplicate of his figure.

I put a small piece of velcro under the base of each figure to prevent them from moving around and getting broken. This way they can be easily picked up from the display shelf I keep them on (stacked on top of each other in 2 rows of 14) for closer looks without worry of being handled or soiled. Makes them easy to move around to other displays or stored for later display.

John

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2021, 04:58 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
Here is my complete set of Gould figures.

Each of my original figures is labeled and put in one of those deep card holders. I used a photo copy of their original card as the background and sized it for the case. I am an Oriole fan and have just one original card...the Joe Coleman...I have that in a separate Orioles display with a duplicate of his figure.

I put a small piece of velcro under the base of each figure to prevent them from moving around and getting broken. This way they can be easily picked up from the display shelf I keep them on (stacked on top of each other in 2 rows of 14) for closer looks without worry of being handled or soiled. Makes them easy to move around to other displays or stored for later display.

John

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
very nice indeed.
I would be in trouble I would find myself taking them out of the packages like a little kid at Xmas

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-14-2021, 07:32 AM
Marty

Hey Fred!

I only have 3 cards, and am thinking that getting the other 25 will likely be a quest for the next owner of my set when I finally make it to "can't take it with you!"

Looks like you are more than halfway there, so maybe I will live the chase vicariously through you!

John - that is a cool way to display these figures! The names are almost impossible to read unless you get the light to hit them just right, so your individual cases are a great way to show them!
Old 12-15-2021, 12:25 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Boxes

Hers the boxes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211215_135152.jpg (72.3 KB, 138 views)
Old 12-15-2021, 08:37 PM
Marty

Very cool, Larry! How are the figures kept in place in the boxes?
Old 12-15-2021, 11:44 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
Hers the boxes
Nice Larry!

But do you have one of the two known Goulds with cards in the plastic bag package shown above?
Old 12-17-2021, 04:00 PM
Tony Quinn

I have this that I am going to sell. Anyone know a current value? Never seen one offered for sale. Box is beat but complete with cello and the booklet. Also have a bunch of the Gould statues as well as the Dairy Queen/Tastee Freez statues if anyone is interested.
Thanks,
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gould 1.jpg (85.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Gould 2.jpg (81.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Gould 3.jpg (82.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Gould 4.jpg (74.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Gould 5.jpg (76.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Gould 6.jpg (71.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Gould 7.jpg (76.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Gould 8.jpg (77.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Gould 9.jpg (71.9 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-17-2021, 04:59 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
I have this that I am going to sell. Anyone know a current value? Never seen one offered for sale. Box is beat but complete with cello and the booklet. Also have a bunch of the Gould statues as well as the Dairy Queen/Tastee Freez statues if anyone is interested.
Thanks,
Tony
Great stuff, Tony! I’m interested to know the “value” as well. I gotta think not many boxes survived.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:51 PM
Marty

Hey Tony!

These figures in the box don't come up too often so it is really hard to provide an accurate value. The figures in your set are mostly commons (maybe a slight premium on Newk!) so the individual commons go for 30-35 each, very roughly. The booklet looks to be in nice shape, and those are fairly desirable - maybe another 100-200 for that? The box is rough but cool. If I got it I would probably try to put something in the box to get it closer to a displayable state. Maybe you have already received an offer or two for it, so that might be a starting point!
Old 12-18-2021, 03:11 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughlinfan View Post
Hey Tony!

These figures in the box don't come up too often so it is really hard to provide an accurate value. The figures in your set are mostly commons (maybe a slight premium on Newk!) so the individual commons go for 30-35 each, very roughly. The booklet looks to be in nice shape, and those are fairly desirable - maybe another 100-200 for that? The box is rough but cool. If I got it I would probably try to put something in the box to get it closer to a displayable state. Maybe you have already received an offer or two for it, so that might be a starting point!
Yes, I would try some "inner structure" as well!