NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default Hobby supplies history

While not prewar, the topic came up in one of the Wagner threads and I figured this was a good time to expand on it a bit.

One poster mentioned Enor sheets as early as 1976, which sounds right.

I'll have to find them to check the maker but the oldest sheets I've seen were around in 1974 and were sold at K mart. There was an album with all 24 team logos on the cover as well.

Those pages were pretty bad. Sideloading, with the inner row loading on the right and the other two loading on the left. And very tight on size, barely enough room for a Topps card. Usually the inner row and the middle row would rub together.

Anyone know of earlier pages?

earliest toploaders?
screwdowns?

I may be a bit crazy, but I do keep a small collection of different holders, pages etc.

Steve B
Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Bob Donaldson

Hi,

I still have one of those albums. 1974 sounds about right as I believe I had just started Jr High when they came out (or at least I noticed them). The pages were side loading and BARELY fit a Topps card. I think I may have even damaged a few cards trying to squeeze them in.

thanks

Bob
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Mark Macrae

Default K & M Company

The small albums with team logos were sold at Toys R' Us and other stores around 1974 and were the first sheets, as I recall, that were designed just for baseball cards. They were produced by K & M Company in Southern California. Initially only 9 pocket side loaders were made for standard cards. Around a year or two later a collector from Tennessee (Gene Lebo) marketed plastic 'wall hangers' which fit 1950's cards. I think I still have one or two of those, but they were very impractical......... Prior to these 'card' sheets, I can recall using sheets / albums designed for photos which were sold at a local drug store. The cards slipped around like a nail in an otherwise empty Cracker Jack box.... It sure beat putting cards in those photo albums with the peel back plastic and adhesive lines which ruined many collections over the years...
Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Charles Mandel

Default other supplies

Back in '76 I made the first acrylic cardholders. Also made the first injection molded holders around '83 or so.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

The first acrylic - Were those the folded ones? I still have some of those. Very dependable holders, but they do flatten two corners after a couple decades. Our area had the originals and after about 6 months someone was making knockoffs that weren't finished as well.

Injection molded in 83? I'm trying to recall which those are. I have a few very old screwdowns some molded some just lexan with screws. I also have one from 82-3? Maybe earlier that was very advanced. It had a cardboard insert that had a nice pattern, and was a screwdown with nylon screws. The dealer I hung out at gave me the sample one he'd been sent. He never did carry them as they were really expensive and hardly any one said they'd buy them.

Steve B
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Charles Mandel

Actually, the ones with the patterned cardboard insert and nylon screws came before the others. You are right, they were expensive. At first I packed them in individual boxes, then bags with a printed header. Of course, cards weren't worth all that much in the '70's and collectors had no experience with individual card holders. Oh, I can't count the times that I heard, "but that's as much as the card is worth!" I did end up selling maybe 30-40k of them over a few years. Next I did the fold overs, as a response to the price issue. I never did like them, in fact I hated them. I got out of making those as quickly as I could. Others started making them almost immediately and continued for some time.

The injection molded ones might have been a little earlier than '83. They snapped together and had a recessed spot for the card. I left enough space at the bottom for my "big idea"-hot stamping things like "Rookie Card" or "MVP". I sold quite a few of those.

By around '82 people had been making sheets for a long time but there was always a shortage as the hobby was growing quite quickly. I found an agent in Taiwan, at the time not an easy thing to do for a very small business, and imported a load of half a million sheets. They arrived in a cold December and were absolutely frozen solid. I had a huge pile of cases in the middle of the warehouse that took almost ten days to thaw out. You could see a really thick cloud of steam coming off them. Only in retrospect does it seem humorous to me...I'd invested almost all my cash into the scheme and had only a big pile of steaming .... to show for it. The sheets were forever damaged and were really, really terrible. I was going to throw them away but dealers were so desperate for sheets that they wanted them anyway. In the end I made a handsome profit selling frozen blocks of 100 sheets each. Those were the days!