NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default OT: Please Help Save A-B

Posted By: Brock G.

Forgive me for going off topic here but it would be greatly appreciated if you could take a minute and visit this site: www.SaveAB.com and sign the petition to help keep Anheuser Busch in American hands.
Thanks for your support.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I hate to tell you this, but a petition is not going to stop AB from selling to whoever they want to.

edited to add: I did however sign the petition since it's important to you.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Dan,
I know it is likely to have little to no effect on A-B being sold to Inbev but I feel it is important to do whatever I can. I work for Anheuser Busch, my father and brother work there, and my grandfather retired from A-B, so it is very important to me and my family. I guess it means a little more to me than most.
Anyway, thanks for signing.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Brock, I wasn't aware you worked for them. I sure hope everything works out for you and your family. I think it's a shame that US companies are selling out to foreign interests left and right, but the corporate greed in this country is so out of control I think there is very little that can be done by guys like you and me.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I signed it...

Best of Luck to you, your family and all the fine employees of A-B. It would be a shame to see this American institution go over to foreign interests. I've told some friends about this website as well, as this has not been publicized in WA (it was new news to me, anyway...)

Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

As you guys probably remember, In addition to being a Sox fan, I'm a bit of a beer fan as well.

I also used to love, still do, the Planet of the Apes movies. In the 8th grade I started a petition to try to stop the television network from cancelling the Apes T.V. show.

Didn't work. Should have. Didn't. I was very sad.

I don't think this petition will work either. There are many reasons why this is so.

I couldn't believe the news when I did hear it about AB potentially selling off to a foreign company. So much for "America's Lager"

Then again, AB killed many many many a fine brewery in their takeover of the United States after WWII so if ya think about it.....

Too funny.

Greg

Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator

rolleyes

Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Brock,

Certainly didn't mean to offend you or your family. I just don't think signing a petition is going to do anything at the level we're discussing. $$$ rules all. Just the thought of AB even considering doing this is beyond comprehension.

Believe me, it makes me sick to think that AB would even think of selling out to anyone, let alone a foreign company. AB should be an American institution. Apparently nothing is sacred.

AB and the rest of the "big boy" breweries did, however, lead to the demise of hundreds of breweries in the decades that followed WWII with their aggressive marketing. Sadly, Rolling Rock was one of the last to bite the bullet. If I'm not mistaken (and I could be), AB bought them out just recently.

Good luck with everything.

And if you like beer history (in Rhode Island anyway), check out www.rhodeislandbreweryhistory.com
My dad and I have been in love with beer for a long time.

Greg

Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

No harm Greg.
I know that in reality the petition will have little or no effect on the situation regardless of how many people sign. But it cant hurt and its really the only way we can voice our displeasure so I feel its worth doing and promoting.
And you are coorect in that Rolling Rock was sold to A-B in 2006. I'm not sure that it is really the same kind of situation. Inbev made an unsolicitated offer to buy A-B. Dont know if Rolling Rock needed to be bought out to keep its head above water or if it was also unsolicitated?

And I apologize for going off topic, on an off topic thread.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

You can thank NAFTA and the politicians that supported it for this. Soon, nearly all American industry will be extinct. I heard today from a friend that DuPont sites here in the US might soon be packing for Mexico or China. Freightliner closed down shop here and moved to Mexico earlier this year.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Forgot to mention, Brock, that I did sign it as well.

Greg