NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Few questions about eBay as a seller and buyer

Hey guys. I have a couple of questions about somethings that are going on with me on eBay.

First: I just sold a card to a buyer and in my message that I sent to him I informed him of a shipping and handling price and then mentioned that if he wanted to insure the card to please include an additional couple bucks, three. The guy paypal'ed me this morning and didn't include the insurance cost. Should I still insure the card even though he clearly decided not to insure his card? I'm assuming yes just to cover my butt. Would paypal still find me liable if the card was lost or damaged? I guess I'm just annoyed that someone would stiff me three measly bucks.

Second: Is there an eBay policy in place for charging sales tax? I bought a card and was charged for an additional sales tax on the final auction price. I've never been asked to pay a sales tax before on eBay and have been a member for 6 or 7 years.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Dan Bretta

I put delivery confirmation on all packages over $50, and I will pay insurance on any of my items that sell on ebay for over $100...I don't even ask, I just do it.

If you payed sales tax on an item you won on ebay then you live in the same state as the seller.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 AM
S Gross

1: Yes, pay the $3. It's well worth it to avoid any possible future problem. You'll be out $3 today, but the buyer will be a jerk the rerst of his life

2: Yes, when selling a product there is a section that allows state tax to be added. It should show up in the auction along with s/h costs.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
I guess I'm just annoyed that someone would stiff me three measly bucks.
Why not make the insurance required then?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Jim VB

Your responsibility, as a seller, is to deliver the card to the buyer, and, if necessary, prove it. Whether they realize it or not, all sellers insure every package. The only question is: Are they buying insurance through a third party, or are they self-insuring?

If you purchase no insurance and the package doesn't get there, are you willing to cover the loss, or do you want someone else (USPS?) to cover it.

On sales tax: sellers don't "charge" tax. They collect it for the state/county/city. Sellers who have a physical presence in the community they ship to are usually required to have a tax license and would be wise to collect it from you. If not, when they get audited, they will have to pay it to the taxing organization anyway.

In most (not all) cases, if the seller doesn't collect it, you are liable to pay the tax directly to the taxing organization. In Ohio, for example, it is a line item on their state Income Tax forms.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:01 PM
D.B. Cooper

I usually only insure above around $75 and do so on my own dime. It sounds like you made purchasing insurance optional, so he's really not "stiffing" you if he opted not to have it insured. That being said, if it's a card with any significant value, I'd insure it and eat the negligible cost of buying peace of mind.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 PM

Default Insurance

Insurance is for the protection of the seller not the buyer and savy buyers know that. As a buyer I never pay for insurance.

When I sell items, I "SELF INSURE" for items less than $100.00 (Although I still pay for DC) meaning that if the item is lost in the mail I make a refund myself (Happened once in over 500 transactions).

Between 100 & 250 I try to judge the buyers character via his FB score (Haven't been burned to date) and 95% self insure.

Over $250.00 you have to insure plus get signature confirmation due to Ebay PP buyer protection rules. Protects you from scam buyers. Build the cost into your opening bid.

With repeat buyers who I know won't try to pull a scam I even skip the DC cost, and pass the S&H savings on to them.

Last edited by WarHoundR69; 05-28-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Barry Sloate

Dan- "payed" sales tax? Perhaps you meant "paid" sales tax?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm going to insure the thing myself and just make the insurance a mandatory shipping and handling charge from now on. Salex tax makes total sense I've just never been asked to pay it before on eBay and wasn't sure if they allow it to be charged. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Dan- "payed" sales tax? Perhaps you meant "paid" sales tax?
ARGHHH!!! I had been doing so well too. I hadn't had a correction from Barry in over a year! I am a great speller, but grammar is not my best subject....and I will quibble a bit with this one since some online dictionaries have "payed" as acceptable for how I used it. I agree though that it is not the correct usage, but I will continue to use it that way just to irritate Barry.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Barry Sloate

Dan- if you keep using "payed" I may break out in a nasty rash!

Last edited by barrysloate; 05-28-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Jim VB

Well, learn something "knew" every day.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/payed

Looks like Dan may skate on this one!

Last edited by Jim VB; 05-28-2009 at 01:52 PM.