NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Matthew Glidden

Default Photo identification for the 1961 Topps series checklists

Spent awhile researching the photos from 1961 Topps series 1-7 checklists to connect them with game situations and would appreciate a fact check of this post.

Topps Baseball Checklists and 1961 Series 1 to Series 7 Photo Identification

Most or all take place at Wrigley, so maybe a Chicago fan can pinpoint things better than I can! Thanks in advance for help, will update (and credit) any improvements in the post.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Al Richter

Default CLs

Cool project Mathew.

FYI only --there are variations to the 61 CLs.

On CL 1 the names can be even with or slightly below the boxes and #s

On CL 2 the word Checklist on the front can be red or yellow, and on the yellows the back number can be in a black or white circle

On CL 3, the number 4 on the player on the left either shows or does not show

On CL 4 the copyright on the back starts at 336 or 339

On CL 5 The Topps Baseball on front is yellow or black, and the backs have an ad or not

On CL 6 # 440 is Louis or Luis

CL 7--there is either grass or no grass under the umpires left foot
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Todd Schultz

Default interesting topic

Thanks for researching this, as '61 was my favorite set when I collected post-war. I have to disagree with your assessment of the game depicted in Series 3 however, or at least the play you described. Spatially I don't see anyway that's a rundown between first and second, so unless Santo made it to second and overran that bag, that's not it. As importantly, it looks to me like it would be the pitcher in the foreground going to back up third--if so, that is not O'Toole, who was left-handed.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Matthew Glidden

Agreed, that Santo pickoff game doesn't match well and a right-handed pitcher backing up third would work better.

I went through all the Reds games at Wrigley with righty pitchers and didn't find anything useful, so play-by-play might not've thought it worth recording the rundown. Recognizing a player or two (if that's SS, 3B, and P in frame) would go a long way.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Matthew Glidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Cool project Mathew.

FYI only --there are variations to the 61 CLs.
Thanks Al, I'll include those details.

Also noting that Topps used NY-based action photos for 1961 NFL and NHL checklists following this design debut in 1961 baseball.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Matthew Glidden

Made a better ID for Series 3, thanks to both Al's note about a "4 visible" variation (it's Reds #14, 3B Puddin' Head Jones) and Todd's note about context. I'm more confident that's August 30, with Don Zimmer caught trying to advance to third on a single.

UPDATE: Series 3 is August 30
Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Great post on these Matthew. They must have picked up a series of game shots along the way from a friendly photographer. Don't think they would have been daily newspaper related in color back then but maybe a Sporting News connection?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Todd Schultz

Upon further review, I do not believe Series 2 depicts the action you state either (sorry). In that game, you note the Cubs CF going back to his position--that player is white (looks like Ashburn) and George Altman played CF that entire game for the Cubs, with Ashburn in LF.

It may have just been a pop-up to Zimmer or a can of corn to the OF where the runner simply elected to hold his base. That would make it really tough to pin down.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 61 checklist

Spike,
very cool research...interesting
Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Matthew a fun read, thanks for posting.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Matthew Glidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Upon further review, I do not believe Series 2 depicts the action you state either (sorry). In that game, you note the Cubs CF going back to his position--that player is white (looks like Ashburn) and George Altman played CF that entire game for the Cubs, with Ashburn in LF.

It may have just been a pop-up to Zimmer or a can of corn to the OF where the runner simply elected to hold his base. That would make it really tough to pin down.
Ouch, good point on the pop-up, and I see what you mean about the camera angle being from first base and not behind home.

If the play IS a double, though, it opens up others I discounted, since play-by-play recorded them as LF or left-center. Getting a read on the Braves runner uniform # would make all the difference, but I'll take a shot anyway and update the post.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Matthew Glidden

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Great post on these Matthew. They must have picked up a series of game shots along the way from a friendly photographer. Don't think they would have been daily newspaper related in color back then but maybe a Sporting News connection?
Likely so, and it sure would be nice to know more about Topps 1960s photography. They were all over the place at times, these checklists included.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Todd Schultz

Good work Matthew.

Now if you really want a head scratcher, take another stab at the Series 6 checklist, with the ducking/hands-protecting-head runner guy. According to a list of Cubs' all-time uniform numbers, there was no player wearing number four in either the 1960 or 1961 season. The number 4 was worn by either of two coaches in 1960--Charlie Root or Vedie Himsl. Why either one of them would be on the field involved in the play is beyond me, but if so it may be recounted as an oddity in some news/sports story. If #4 is wearing a glove (looks like it), then I suppose it could be utility IF Johnny Goryl from 1959. It might also not be Wrigley Field, although it looks like it and all the other checklist photos seem to come from there. Very strange!
Old 08-15-2013, 04:23 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Well, time to throw a monkey wrench into things.
When I see the checklist in question ("ducking/hands-protecting-head runner guy"), my immediate thoughts stay in Chicago, but they wander down to the south side. It's possible that shot depicts the White Sox and third basemen Gene Freese, number 4.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 08-16-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Matthew Glidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Well, time to throw a monkey wrench into things.
When I see the checklist in question ("ducking/hands-protecting-head runner guy"), my immediate thoughts stay in Chicago, but they wander down to the south side. It's possible that shot depicts the White Sox and third basemen Gene Freese, number 4.
Against the Wrigley checklist pattern, I think you're on the right track with Gene Freese and the White Sox. The home uniform looks too white for CHC and the opponent jersey's much closer to NYY or DET road gray.

Checked all 1960 DET and NYY games at Comiskey and updated the post with my best guess, Yogi Berra being thrown out at second, behind the photographed runner, who would be Bobby Richardson.

1961 Topps checklists, Series 6 updated
Old 08-16-2013, 05:39 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Interesting read. You're a very good writer Matthew.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Matthew Glidden

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Interesting read. You're a very good writer Matthew.
Thanks, Dan! It helps to have all these people of experience here at Net54 to bounce ideas off of.