NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Winston and JSA

JSA has already been through this with Geogia's Todd Gurley, but it's the football player who gets suspended if caught, with no repercussions to the dealer, so here's part 2: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ton-autographs
Old 10-14-2014, 02:24 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

double post

Last edited by drcy; 10-14-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:24 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Though it's yet to be applied, there is a law in Georgia that it is illegal for someone to get a student athlete to break the academic scholarship eligibility rules. The law was specifically designed for cases such as this and was written in response to a college football player losing his eligibility after selling his game used jersey. So the Georgia dealer could get into legal trouble, but we'll see.

The irony is the players likely lose money overall because of these situations, because NFL teams judge look at ethics, rule breaking and maturity when deciding where to draft a player. And, of course, a rookie's salary and bonus is directly correlated to where he is drafted. I read a recent article that Winston's draft board ranking is falling due to his plethora of troubles. Many teams pass on troubled players, including players who put themselves before the team, and there's no doubt that Gurley's draft and contract $$ will be hurt by this. As many NFL GMs and coaches will tell you, many problem NFL players were problem college players.

Last edited by drcy; 10-14-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
JSA has already been through this with Geogia's Todd Gurley, but it's the football player who gets suspended if caught, with no repercussions to the dealer, so here's part 2: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ton-autographs
I don't understand what JSA's part would be in this post? That they authenticated autographs signed by a college player? What's the point of the thread. If anything, wouldn't this company that submitted the items be under more scrutiny? The thing that bothers me more is that JSA would offer up private business information regarding a submission to a reporter. Jason
Old 10-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

Sorry you don't understand my post or JSA's involvement in this. Just ignore it if it is a problem for you.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

Jason - no one on this entire board of 1000's of people seems to be interested in this, except you, me and David, so this apparently isn't very important. So no need to get too upset about me posting - I just thought it was interesting that Winston would do something this obvious, blatant and stupid, after all the other stupid things he has done. I also think it's crazy stupid that someone submitted over 900 of his autographs to anyone - it just happens to be JSA - as it is an obvious trail toward incriminating Winston, and I guess whoever submitted the autographs, although that is not clear.

The point of my post was simply to make the story available by posting the link. Right after I posted it the story ran live on ESPN, and it was sort of a big deal to them, as was JSA's involvement. So if you think I'm taking a shot at a TPA, and that offends you, then be offended by ESPN as well.

However, here is my thinking on JSA's involvement, since I suspect you are going to ask me: JSA has already been through this with Gurley, so they know the signing rules as they apply to college athletes. The players cannot sign for money, and they can't sign for someone who is going to use the autographs for money (I assume this last part has to do with 'mass' signings).

JSA authenticated over 900 Winston items, of only 2-3 types, all at the same time, and from the same source, and all apparently signed with the same pen and in the exact same style;i.e-Winston sat down and signed over 900 items. I didn't make this up - I read it in news reports and heard it on ESPN.

JSA has no liability for doing this; however, they had to know that this idiot Winston was going to get fried for it if caught. Winston is a college athlete, so 900+ items coming in at once from the same source indicates 'for profit'.

But no, JSA has no liability.

Jason - why does it bother you that JSA would give up submission reports? Would you rather they hide what they did so that no one gets caught for violating NCAA rules? If that's how you feel, fine. I'm just wondering.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:54 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

To Jason, JSA didn't give up any personal info about the submitters or identify them. The reporters discovered on their own that the serial numbers were listed in long sequences in the JSA online database. Spence told reporters it was against company privacy policy to say who were the submitters, but did explain that a sequence means a group was submitted by one person or company.

Last edited by drcy; 10-15-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
To Jason, JSA didn't give up any personal info about the submitters or identify them. The reporters discovered on their own that the serial numbers were listed in long sequences in the JSA online database. Spence told reporters it was against company privacy policy to say who were the submitters, but did explain that a sequence means a group was submitted by one person or company.
Thanks for the clarification, I did not see that
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I am not upset about it, I just don't understand why a company authenticating signatures has anything to do with a common criminal like Winston violating NCAA rules. Other than submitting a few signed items here and there to them, I have no affiliation with JSA. It just seems like people have issues with the service itself, as good or bad as it might be. Either way, the issue should be with the athlete and the company that is encouraging the violation, not someone making a judgement that the signature is authentic.

The fact that JSA is providing private business information without a search warrant should bother people who do business with them. It is my understanding no crime has been committed, only an NCAA violation. If i found out that they were providing my previous business and information to others publicly I would be a little upset.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
It just seems like people have issues with the service itself, as good or bad as it might be.
This thread has nothing to do with that, nor did the ESPN report this morning, the link I posted, or anything else I read about this issue. It was about Winston, the submitter and JSA accepting them. If you think JSA was okay in accepting over 900 submissions of two item types, from a single submitter of a single college athlete's items, knowing from the Gurley experience that Winston would likely be in big trouble if caught, then fine.

If you want to argue about TPA services then please start another thread.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:51 AM
I@n Cl@rke

It's late, I'm tired and didn't read link.. but I definitely care about this and similar topics.

IMO it's ridiculous these guys cannot profit from their own signatures and/or their own names. Many of these guys (see names from the past--- Heath Shuler, Tim Tebow, Andre Ware, Ty Detmer... and very likely Johnny Manziel) will never have the opportunity to capitalize on their fame/popularity when it's at its peak in college. To those who argue- "they'll just get paid in the NFL", several college stars fail to ever make NFL rosters (Eric Crouch, Jason White, etc), and others who make NFL rosters typically have short lived careers and lack guaranteed contracts. It seems a joke the NCAA, the schools, the networks, gambling operations, memorabelia dealers, video game companies (props to Ed O'Bannon), anybody and everybody can make money off players and players' names, while the player cannot. If you don't want these guy paid while in school, then stick it in a fund/trust that the player can access once he leaves school, perhaps with partial payouts if he leaves early and incentives if he stays through graduation.

IMO the NCAA and NFL are neck and neck for the most evil, and hypocritical entities in US sports. I'm guilty of watching both, so I guess I'm a little hypocritical myself, but oh well.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:08 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

For all JSA knew, the autographs were signed for a university sponsored charity.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Belltown Vintage

Actually, Jason, I also agree 100% with Tom, so you and I actually agree on most of this. I also agree with Ian. I think you read intent in my posts that wasn't there. We both are certainly against the sleezier elements of our hobby.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Belltown Vintage

Packs - I am against breaking the current rules, as it creates an unfair playing field for the honest schools; however, a lot of the cheating is accepted, so the rules do not work. Either change the rules and pay them, or enforce the rules. So basically - I say pay them and they can get an education if they choose to. The you would have 18 yr old kids with no structure except the NCAA's rules, and guys like Winston would not last 5 minutes.