NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2018, 05:35 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I was there from 10-7 yesterday. The Cleveland floor/food/spacing is significantly better than Chicago and Baltimore Nationals. While the IX Center is not attached to the airport or any hotel, it's five mins away and not a problem to get back and forth. I'd pick Cleveland ahead of the other cities just for the actual floor walking experience. The hotels are dumps but adequate if you're mostly there to see cards. Nearby restaurants are fine+ for dinner.

I didn't see much extraordinarily different material than what I'm used to from other Nationals but pretty much you can find something you want or need.

Just picked up a couple of items: a Seattle Pilots ashtray which I'm giddy about and this Hoss Radbourn Red Stockings Cigar card from Glen Mechanick who, year in and out, has the most interesting cards/material on the floor and is a pleasure to speak to and deal with (a pearl before swine in the dealer pool).

Spent some time with Brian Dwyer of REA who is a serious, hard-working dude. Head and shoulders ahead of what you'd expect from an auction house owner these days, Joe T and Dan McKee who are always great to see, and Deplorable Dewolf who took me out for some great dinners. I'm looking forward to next year in Chicago.
Jeff sorry I missed you at the show. If you were coming back stop by 2255.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 08-03-2018, 06:52 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I picked the all star game over the national this year and have no regrets. I have heard the prices being asked are...shall we say...looking to achieve a new watermark. Did you find that?
Old 08-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I picked the all star game over the national this year and have no regrets. I have heard the prices being asked are...shall we say...looking to achieve a new watermark. Did you find that?
Todd,
The observation that I made on pricing was that it was about 2 grades off of VCP. for example, a PSA 4 Mantle would have the price of PSA 6 VCP. If you found it one grade off that was a nice starting point to get closer.

One guy had a booth with a big sign that says prices are firm. I don't care about your Ebay fees. Soooo... not a lot of camaraderie and negotiation going on at that table.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 08-03-2018, 07:51 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
Jeff sorry I missed you at the show. If you were coming back stop by 2255.
Sorry I missed you as well. Next year for sure.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Steven

Spent two days the show, thought it was great. Looked like lots of people, seems like attendance has been on the rise and will continue that way.
My observations were:
1. More FB and BB than I remember, I don't collect either but thought it was more prevalent than I have ever seen.
2. Less "crap" and non-card displays. I remember beanie babies and all sorts of odds and ends being sold at the show, seems to be less of that. Also, I noticed less memorabilia and art being sold. This show seems to have piles of cards and photos.
3. Tons or 50s and 60s per norm.
4. I thought there were some good deals to be had and did p/u a couple cards that are far from rare but was happy with my buys.
5. Lots of excitement among collectors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1921 Exhibits Ruth.jpg (69.5 KB, 908 views)

Last edited by rainier2004; 08-03-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Spent two days the show, thought it was great. Looked like lots of people, seems like attendance has been on the rise and will continue that way.
My observations were:
1. More FB and BB than I remember, I don't collect either but thought it was more prevalent than I have ever seen.
2. Less "crap" and non-card displays. I remember beanie babies and all sorts of odds and ends being sold at the show, seems to be less of that. Also, I noticed less memorabilia and art being sold. This show seems to have piles of cards and photos.
3. Tons or 50s and 60s per norm.
4. I thought there were some good deals to be had and did p/u a couple cards that are far from rare but was happy with my buys.
5. Lots of excitement among collectors.
I agree with the above bold. I had a blast yesterday, and came away with a helluva haul of Pre-War. A couple of notes I would like to add regarding the show...

1. Few dealers are as professional, genuine, and pleasant to speak with than Chris Bland and Michael Piech. I was surprised to see them both in the same space, and really enjoyed my conversations with them. There are lots of great dealers out there, but few compare to those two, and many dealers would do well to be more genuine and engaging with their customers. Also, Just Collect was TERRIFIC as well!

2. I can't believe TriStar or whoever runs the show is charging $10 to park PER DAY. I'm very jaded by that money gouging scheme, especially since the car show (held at the IX Center around March) is free parking. That's $10 yesterday that didn't go to dealers, and $10 on Saturday (if I choose to go now) that won't go to dealers. Multiply that by the thousands of people that will attend, and that's a lot of money not going to the dealers. It is a bit of a turnoff.

3. I really, really like this event in Cleveland (it has nothing to do with me living 45-50 minutes away ). The layout is terrific, very easy to navigate, and well organized. The only suggestion I would have is better markings on dealers' booths for their booth number.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 08-03-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
The only suggestion I would have is better markings on dealers' booths for their booth number.
Agreed, this would help a lot.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Parking

Quote:
I agree with the above bold. I had a blast yesterday, and came away with a helluva haul of Pre-War. A couple of notes I would like to add regarding the show...

2. I can't believe TriStar or whoever runs the show is charging $10 to park PER DAY. I'm very jaded by that money gouging scheme, especially since the car show (held at the IX Center around March) is free parking. That's $10 yesterday that didn't go to dealers, and $10 on Saturday (if I choose to go now) that won't go to dealers. Multiply that by the thousands of people that will attend, and that's a lot of money not going to the dealers. It is a bit of a turnoff.
If I remember correctly, parking at the Donald Stephens Center at the Chicago National was $20 per day.

I regret missing the National in Cleveland. I love going to the National, and my wife and I are already making plans to attend next years National in Chicago.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:28 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
If I remember correctly, parking at the Donald Stephens Center at the Chicago National was $20 per day.

I regret missing the National in Cleveland. I love going to the National, and my wife and I are already making plans to attend next years National in Chicago.

Rick
Does the Donald Stephens Center charge for every event?

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 08-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Stephens

Quote:
I don't know. I have gone to card shows at that venue in the spring, in the fall, and at the National and they have always charged for parking. I'm guessing that they also charge for parking for antique shows, art shows, etc.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:10 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
If you knew about the city of Rosemont you would know they are trying to find a way to charge for the air that you breathe. Yep....they charge for every event.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
You do not need to park at the Stephens Center or at the parking garage across the street. The Rosemont subway station is about 1/3 mile north of the convention center on the same street. It is just north of Rte 190. Parking there was $7.00 all day (up to 14 hours). If you are in reasonable shape it is a less than 10 minute walk. The trick to parking there is to make absolutely sure of your space number. I remember pre-paying at a kiosk and you entered your space number. A local told me to pay with a credit card so you would get a receipt to prove payment. They check the spaces during the day and tow for non-paying parkers. From the CTA website:

Rosemont
5801 N. River Rd. •$7.00 for 0 to 14 hours
•$9.00 for 14 to 18 hours
•$13.00 for 18 to 24 hours
•Each additional 24 hours (or fraction thereof) $13.00
•Lost ticket: $39.00

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:

That parking venue is a cash cow for the owner. They just keep raising prices, I'll not miss them when I retire. They charge for every event I have attended, which includes the March and November Fanatics Shows and an occasional summer show.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:

Rick
I haven't been to a National in years and all the pictures and posts have got me excited about next year. Started looking at hotels already and hoping that the Hyatt across the street has free parking. Don't mind spending a little extra for the convenience if I get free parking!
Old 08-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
I don't know. I have gone to card shows at that venue in the spring, in the fall, and at the National and they have always charged for parking. I'm guessing that they also charge for parking for antique shows, art shows, etc.
Wouldn't surprise me. I just don't like that the IX Center doesn't charge for the car show, yet the National is $10 parking + ticket prices. No need to money gouge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
I haven't been to a National in years and all the pictures and posts have got me excited about next year. Started looking at hotels already and hoping that the Hyatt across the street has free parking. Don't mind spending a little extra for the convenience if I get free parking!
I stayed at that Hyatt Regency for a conference in April. Gorgeous hotel. 70"+ flat screen in my room. Haha.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 08-03-2018 at 06:11 PM.