NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Default first pick up of the new year!!

Posted By: marty quinn

my favorite card of the set!! happy to pick it up...

Old 01-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

very tough card in a PSA 8 holder, great first pick up

Jimmy

Old 01-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

did you grade the card or buy it online?

Jimmy

Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty quinn

mastro jimmy...i probably over paid but i don't know when i will see another. my green side is a 7 .

Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: XanaduNow

Congratulations Marty. Front face Jack Johnson is one of my favorite boxing cards.

Is the card off-tilt in the holder? The left side looks smaller on the bottom than the top.

Congrats again Marty.

Arthur

Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I'm not trying to be snarky, snotty or otherwise a jerk about it but I am truly curious as to what your decisionmaking process was for acquiring this card at its closing price.

How did you decide where to set the price on it? Was it a plan or a spur of the moment decision or something else?

What did you feel were the characteristics that made it worth so much more than a 5 or 6 of the same card?

Did you do any investigation before you purchased it, such as population searches or searching the cert # to see if there were a lot of trimmed cards in the same cert run and if so what role did that play in your decision?

Did the registry play a role in your thinking and if so, what?

Did you buy it to keep or to flip?

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

Didn't want to post this, but since it's come up---

There was a lot of discussion about this card among a group of us that collect this set- when I saw it in Mastro it looked short. Sure enough, a run of the certs on this submission didn't look good:

it's a nice card but IMO it's certainly not full sized. I don't know why submissions like this aren't rejected outright.
Had it been good I think it would've gone a lot higher- I know of 3 others that would've been going hard for it.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: XanaduNow

Marty, the more I look at this the more I think it's trimmed. I blew the image up to 1,000% and measured the left and right borders and the corners of the color picture:

Top Left: 154
Top Right: 166

Bottom Left: 130
Bottom Right: 165

That left border tapers in 15% on the way down and the top left border looks to have a bat ear. I would contact the auction house and see about any recourse you might have.

Good luck and let us all know how you make out.

Arthur

Old 01-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty q

whoa! i have not been on for a few days...thanks for all your concern, realy!!!, i only have an inch ruler, my son has my clear scale in school, could meausure better when i get it, but it does meausure correct, matter of fact when i compare it to the other 150+ in my set it's either right on, a little short, or a little over sized, what does that tell you?. tmy concern when i looked at it was the lft border, if you notice there is a speckled background going from jj ear to the bottom border, it bleeds a liitle into the border, this shows a non uniformed white border, the real concern is the cert run, i did do a check but not a run, i will send to psa for a review and call joe o, not sure what psa will do if libel.

when i look at the border/edges, i dont see any chipping or wavy cuts, i use a jewlers loop with a light, plus a more powerful gem stone magnifier..but that does not mean it is not micro trimmed, hard to do but done right just about impossible to see. thats where a measurement comes in...

griffins-not sure if i should thank you for cert scan, it may hurt...anymore on top and bottom to that scan?

arthur-thanks for the time to post you opinion, and do some work.

boxingcardman-?? e mail me and i will give you my # and do my best to answer your questions as to why i make the decisions i do when buying cards, do i flip! no, but what if i did? was it going into my reg set,it would not even move it a pt. so no, it would have been there already, but what if it were? and as far as 5 times the value, i know you know better than that, do you think it's only worth $700? in a psa 8...smr is not my bible for sure, ifr 10% of the prices were right on that would be high.do i think your being a jerk, not sure, why are some of the ?'s relevent to the card. please explain. explain what your getting at??? do you want my resume, it starts around 25 years ago, like i said call me and we can talk all you like

Old 01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

It was a record-breaking price for one of these cards at auction. One of the most fascinating aspects of doing my guide to these cards is trying to figure out why a card sells for what it does. I figured that the chance to hear from an actual buyer of one of these cards at auction could be interesting. That's all; nothing nefarious.

I do have to say that it appears that the card has been tampered with. Arthur's measurements and the cert run certainly doesn't leave me with warm fuzzies about it.

Keep us posted on what PSA says in review...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

Marty- didn't mean to bust your chops on this one, it was more an indictment of the grading. The certs before this run were modern football, the ones after were mid '80's Clemens rookies, so it seemed like it was logical that the ones I posted were all one submission.
Last year I bought 2 '48 Leaf baseball cards that looked trimmed to me (one was a 7, the other an 8) so I ran the certs. Sure enough, over 80% of that submission were trimmed. IMO when you get that many like that they were all trimmed- I know the 2 I won most certainly were.
As Kevin Saucier has shown, it's not all about wavy edges or chipping. The bevel of the cut, micro bits of sand in embedded in the edge, or just a card like this that tapers and the borders are too small can all be indicators of trimming. As can a submission of high dollar cards that are virtually all rejected, with the survivors sold thru an auction house.
As far as boxingcardman (Adam) he literally wrote the book on boxing cards, so I have no doubt his questions are legit and without malice.
I hope PSA will buy this one back should you chose to go that route.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty q

hello gents,
dont get me wrong, i do appreciate the help, by you and adam, i would be more pissed if it is trimmed, will psa buy it back if so?? i doubt they would find this card trimmed, you know why, $$$, and the buy back, i will send it back and see what happens, honest i put a bid on that card days before the end, never thinking i would win it, i think you and i can help adam with the prices the boxers bring from this set, as you have the #1 set, with me second, also you have outbid me on enough of them to know, lol, but seriously if you are caught with a trimmed card i think your left with your pants down, psa might buy it back, (but only if thry agree it has been altered), you know how that goes, ones opinion vs another, the reason i don't realy colelct auto. and memorbilia type is because of the fraud, sad to say cards have moved back to the front....i agree also anthony, these type of submissions should be a red flag, the whole lot should be returned not graded... i wonder if mastro sent these in? probably not with the other low value stuff....will let ya's know the outcome either way..