NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Default Grading/Shipping Advice

Hello

My first post here. I just purchased a T206 Ty Cobb (Green portrait) off of ebay. It is SGC graded 40. I would like to send it off to PSA but have never submitted before. So:

What extra steps should I take in packing and shipping?
I have read over the PSA recommended procedure...but this card is very important to me and I would like to leave no stone un-turned.

What kind of grade should I expect?
I can't scan the card...I just was looking for what is typical on a PSA cross over grade.

Anything else?

I have been collecting cards since 1984 and this is by far the most important purchase for me. I have looked at it in magazines and card shops for 25 years.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Rob

Unless it's a slam-dunk for a grade bump, I'd keep it as is. The crossover service dosen't really have a very big following, even on the PSA board.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM

I am not sure about a grade "bump"...an equal grade is what I am after. The rest of my T206 set is PSA. I gambled on the SGC because:

a) The price was right.

b) I really wanted the card.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Rob

Put it between two pieces of cardboard, wrap it in bubble wrap, put it in a box filled with styrofoam peanuts. Completely tape the box with the brown tape and send it registered mail, with insurance. Good luck.

Last edited by GRock; 12-09-2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 PM

Thanks.

2 questions...if you don't mind:

1) As far as insurance...just postal or home owners as well?

2) What kind of minimum grade should I ask for?

I was thinking of saying PSA 2 to increase the chances of them grading it. I have read where they are more thorough and usually grade a hair under the other 3rd party graders. I also don't want to sell it short. If I put it as a 3...???
Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Brad Green

In regards to your post above, post a picture of the card. People will be able to give you better advice if they can see what the card looks like.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Ron

Default Card grade

Can you provide us with a link to the auction? Maybe we can take a look and get some kind of consensus on the grade. I realize that PSA doesn't necessarily have to agree with our opinion, but if the overwhelming vote is for a 3, you may want to request that.

The handful of times that I've sent cards to PSA for grading, I've just used the postal insurance without experiencing any problems.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM

Yeah, I know I am asking for people to take a shot in the dark on the grade. I will have to scan at work and then post. Until then, I was kind of looking for stories from others who have done the same.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 07:30 PM

I will give it the old college try. Give me some time.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Not sure how these will come out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb1.jpg (18.8 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg cobb2.jpg (21.0 KB, 176 views)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Hey! it worked.

Not bad for a Polish man.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Rob

The postal insurance should be enough.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Ron

Are there any hairline creases on the card? It looks like on Tyrus' right shoulder there is a possible crease/or maybe a stain. From my best guess, it looks like a 3 to me.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM

No creases...stains...yes. Front and back (very mild). I kind of like those. I have a few Polar Bear commons that have tobacco stains (and some tobacco pieces) that I will never get rid of. I like that.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWeso81 View Post
I am not sure about a grade "bump"...an equal grade is what I am after. The rest of my T206 set is PSA. I gambled on the SGC because:

a) The price was right.

b) I really wanted the card.
I am not sure the quote "I gambled on SGC is right". Most of the cards I have gotten in PSA holders won't cross to SGC, and from what I have heard SGC usually crosses to PSA with a bump or even over. It is not unknown that PSA is lax on grading. The card presents very well and looks nice I would say a PSA 3 or 3.5. Best of luck and show us the new suit when he gets fitted.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 PM

I go PSA on the T206 for one reason. The first T206 card I bought was a PSA. That is the only reason for my PSA loyalty. If it was SGC or Beckett...I would run with that. My overall collection stems from1974-2009. I do not feel like I need a third party to tell me authenticity and value on those. When it comes to 100 year old cards...I will pay for that piece of mind.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Jim R

if that is the only reason then there is no reason to cross over

I have mostly raw cards in my collection but do have PSA, Beckett, GAI and SGC and maybe even one or two other companies.

My grader of choice is SGC.

I would not risk mailing a 1500 dollar card just because the first card I bought was PSA. Also a waste of money -money you could spend on more cards.

Also if that is the only reason you could wait until you go to a show-the grading companies are at the shows and you could hand them the card and just pay the retun shipping of get it crossed while you wait.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Noted. I am glad you said that. The last thing I want to do is RISK. You might have changed my mind. I will sleep on it...but I like what you said.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Ken McMillan

nice card but appears a little overgraded in my op[inion.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Very nice Cobb, I would leave as is.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 AM

OK. I slept on it. After some good advice and valuable feedback...I am keeping as is. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Peter Wilk

Default Crossing SGC to PSA

I do not agree with Andrew regarding crossing cards SGC cards to PSA. I have submitted many cards for crossover from SGC and a quite a few from BVG. I wrote a post about this once before. Less than half of these cards have crossed over at an equal grade. The majority will not cross over without being bumped DOWN 1/2 to 1 full grade. I will not buy SGC cards for crossover any more at all to expect an equal grade because I know it isn't going to happen (not on higher grade 7-8's anyway). I do buy SGC cards and expect that I can cross them over if I write on the submission form that I am willing to take a 1/2 point drop. I do not wish to discourage the original poster who would like to cross over his Cobb. Go for it - If you are worried, definitely put 3 down as the minimum grade you will accept. If it does not cross, at least you will get it returned in the SGC 30 holder and there are many on this board that will bid and buy SGC cards and you should get close to your original investment back.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWeso81 View Post
OK. I slept on it. After some good advice and valuable feedback...I am keeping as is. Thanks for everyones help.
I started T206 collecting as a PSA loyalist, but within a couple of years went to SGC -- too many problems with PSA being inconsistent. I waited for an SGC crossover special and then attempted to have my 40 or so PSA T206 cards crossed over. Boy did that open my eyes even further to the perils of PSA grading.

The green in the background is reflected nicely in the green of SGCs label. It is a beautiful card in that holder. I applaud you for leaving it alone.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 12-10-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM

My experience is that PSA almost always rejects crossovers no matter what. If I crack it out and submit it raw, then it works out just fine. I don't play the crossover game, but I have done it a few times for exactly the same reason - because the rest of my set was in the other holders.

The card looks vg. The only possible problem is centering, but I think that should be fine for vg.
JimB
P.S. Very nice card.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Rob

Wise choice, the card looks super in the SGC slab.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Barry Sloate

Glad you decided to leave as is. You will not get anything higher than a 3 from PSA, and there is an outside chance it would grade a 2 as it is not a high end Very Good.

As far as shipping if you sent it registered mail your risk is virtually zero. If it were a raw card and you wanted it graded, it is worth that infinitesimal risk. But since you already have it in a 40 holder the bigger risk is not that it will get lost in transit, but that it might get bumped down one grade.

It already resides at the highest grade you could hope to get, and from a respected company. At that point you should be done. I understand you want to keep you set consistent so that is where you would have to make a decision.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilk17 View Post
I do not agree with Andrew regarding crossing cards SGC cards to PSA. I have submitted many cards for crossover from SGC and a quite a few from BVG. I wrote a post about this once before. Less than half of these cards have crossed over at an equal grade. The majority will not cross over without being bumped DOWN 1/2 to 1 full grade. I will not buy SGC cards for crossover any more at all to expect an equal grade because I know it isn't going to happen (not on higher grade 7-8's anyway). I do buy SGC cards and expect that I can cross them over if I write on the submission form that I am willing to take a 1/2 point drop.

I am just going to voice my opinion (my opinion only, if anyones else feels this way or doesn't that is their opinion) only about this matter. I think PSA won't cross SGC cards because they will have to eat the fact that SGC's card in most cases are accurate grades thus forcing them to actually increase the grade to match the other overgraded cards they have out there. If they leave it the same you have a grade 4 SGC card in a PSA 4 slab that looks much better than most of the other PSA 4's out there. I would rather have a set of cards that are graded hard and worthy of the grades (some I think are below) than a bunch of cards that are overgraded and skeptical of the grade given.

Here is the best example of an over graded card I could find (courtesy of Ebay). This card exhibits staining(which I know is common for PB backed T205's but still counts against them), border chipping, centering, and corners. Card is a 7 grade not an 8. Here is my SGC 7 Johnson. Card has border chipping, and is MC. I guess I should submitt it to PSA as an 8 and complain and whine till they give it to me (I hear this work sometimes)

To the original poster I am glad you decided to keep the card in the SGC slab. It presents alot better with the Black border. Best of luck to you on you continued Journey of the Monster and don't give up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brown Psa 8.jpg (35.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Brown psa 8 1.jpg (44.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg johnson 5.jpg (76.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg johnson 6.jpg (76.2 KB, 44 views)