NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Matt

Default 1930's Chicago White Sox Pennant?

Guys...........Hey, I picked this pennant up at an antique show this summer from an old lady (she had it tagged as a 'Socks' pennant) and I've been unable to find any information on it through completed auction sales. My guess is that it's from the 30's or earlier? It measures about 17" long, has stitched on dark navy blue letters, a couple staple holes near to tip, and minimal moth holes in the felt. The stitched on ribbon looks very old and is frayed in a few areas. The logo resembles a nice White Sox hat I saw at the National this summer (I think Perezfan said he bought it?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...........Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9633.jpg (76.1 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9634.jpg (75.7 KB, 225 views)
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I did not buy the Chisox Hat, as I thought the dealer wanted far too much (as nice as it was). But I will say that your Pennant looks good. It would be nice if there was a tag stitched on the reverse... do you see any remnant of a cloth tag?

The materials and composition look to be authentic, and it could date to as early as the teens. Tough to pinpoint, as there is no date, and the "SOX" design is fairly generic in nature. If forced to guess, I'd say late teens/early twenties on this one. Of course most dealers would call it 1919, and then jack up the price accordingly

Great pickup, and a really attractive piece... congrats!

Last edited by perezfan; 09-02-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Matt

Default no tag...

Mark......Thanks for the reply. There are no remnants of a tag, unfortunately. I was thinking if it were from the late teens/early twenties, the stitched on graphics/lettering would have been black, instead of dark blue.....but no complaints here in this case. Another question in my mind is why are the letters sewn on with chain stitching when most early baseball pennants I've seen have graphics screen printed on? Just wondering. Thanks again..........Matt
Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

A long time ago I bought a bunch of pennants from the late teens-early 20's. No sports aside from the one oddball, a 50's braves pennant. But they were really great looking. I still have them.

Anyway, they're all stitiched like that. Very heavy felt too.

Steve B
Old 09-03-2013, 12:20 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Correct... the embroidered grapics are not uncommon for that era. Screened graphics were the prevailing method, but plenty of embroidered examples have turned up as well. Early Red Sox, Tigers, Braves and Reds embroidered examples have surfaced with some regularity...

Here are some images of embroidered pennants from that era...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Room4.jpg (52.1 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Embroidered1.jpg (26.0 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Embroidered2.jpg (28.6 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg SoxPennant1[1].jpg (76.5 KB, 166 views)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Correct... the embroidered grapics are not uncommon for that era. Screened graphics were the prevailing method, but plenty of embroidered examples have turned up as well. Early Red Sox, Tigers, Braves and Reds embroidered examples have surfaced with some regularity...

Here are some images of embroidered pennants from that era...
Show off! LOL Lovem Mark always great to see!!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Haha, Al... FWIW, those aren't all mine (just trying to be helpful )
Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I would agree with earlier and here is why. The ribbon piping is really the hint. The only time I have seen a sheer ribbon piping it was very early, teens at the latest. I have to admit that I have only seen college examples, but if that is what your piping appears to be, you have a nice pennant. I will also agree with Perezfan that you should generally expect to see a stitched label on the back for a pennant from this period, but not always on smaller examples like this. I am a little concerned at how nice the condition is, but from the photo it does appear to be authentic. You got a great pick up, congrats. Jason
Old 09-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I would agree with earlier and here is why. The ribbon piping is really the hint. The only time I have seen a sheer ribbon piping it was very early, teens at the latest. I have to admit that I have only seen college examples, but if that is what your piping appears to be, you have a nice pennant. I will also agree with Perezfan that you should generally expect to see a stitched label on the back for a pennant from this period, but not always on smaller examples like this. I am a little concerned at how nice the condition is, but from the photo it does appear to be authentic. You got a great pick up, congrats. Jason
Thanks, Jason. I was a little skeptical of it's age at first due to the condition, thinking it might not be that old, but I kept wondering about that ribbon and the fact it looked 100 years old. So, that along with it passing the 'smell test' and the fact they're not mass produced on ebay, I felt pretty confident after taking a huge risk and spending very little on it this past May. This would qualify as my 'find' for the summer. Thanks again for everyone's comments.

Matt

Last edited by Kzoo; 09-06-2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typo