NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2019, 10:24 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Makes no sense? How else do you explain the disparity between the Red Cobb and the Green Cobb other than one looks nicer than the other? How else do you explain the disparity between action poses and portraits other than the portraits are nicer looking cards? Why does the E-90 Cy Young card sell for so much money? You don't think it has anything to do with the image on the card?

My point is that aesthetics could be playing a larger role in collecting today whereas rarity or types could have been the motivating force behind past sales. I don't care about rarity anymore. I want NICE cards. I'm sure I'm not alone.
I didn't know that the Green Cobb looked nicer than the Red Cobb. This is news to me.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I didn't know that the Green Cobb looked nicer than the Red Cobb. This is news to me.
It depends on the person. There is a lot of green in the world. Blue and green are the most prevelant colors. Our minds have evolved to be receptive of color and use color to help judge and make decisions.

https://smallbiztrends.com/2014/06/p...of-colors.html
Old 01-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Michael S.

Hey Pete! Great question. It's funny that you raise this question as a buddy and I were just having this conversation a couple of days ago.

Without piggybacking off of other people's ideas, all of which are valid and possible, and in all likelihood probable; let me offer another option.

Is it possible that the current mentality of the "shiny card collector" has seeped it's way into our universe? They don't collect sets. They don't buys packs of cards trying to fill binders. They don't trade commons, just because they need that one to finish off a team set. What do they do? They chase the lottery ticket. They are chasing some super refractor 1/1, written in gold ink. They buy a 5 card pack, for an outrageous amount of money, and don't care about 4/5 of the cards. They only want to know about "the hit".

Is it possible that in addition to every valid point that has been brought up thus far, that there is also an element of "lottery chasing" going on? How often do we see thread titled "What's the next Green Cobb?" or "What's the next Bond Bread?". I don't know, but I do believe, to a certain extent, that everyone wants the lottery ticket and they see this as a better/safer avenue than 6 good numbers.

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 01-18-2019, 01:06 PM
R Dixon

The economy is doing really well, at least where I live. I decided to sell an old card I had in my drive way last week....I posted it online and sold it in about 30 minutes. Housing prices are very strong. Everybody who wants one has a job, and in most cases a good paying job.

When the economy was doing really crappy in about 2008-2010 everybody was selling off their collections it seemed. There were some that wanted to sell but wouldn't at the low prices everything was going for.

I don't know about any specific card, but it will circle back around. When it does a lot of people will see the value of their cards dropping and decide to cash out again.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:25 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post
Hey Pete! Great question. It's funny that you raise this question as a buddy and I were just having this conversation a couple of days ago.

Without piggybacking off of other people's ideas, all of which are valid and possible, and in all likelihood probable; let me offer another option.

Is it possible that the current mentality of the "shiny card collector" has seeped it's way into our universe? They don't collect sets. They don't buys packs of cards trying to fill binders. They don't trade commons, just because they need that one to finish off a team set. What do they do? They chase the lottery ticket. They are chasing some super refractor 1/1, written in gold ink. They buy a 5 card pack, for an outrageous amount of money, and don't care about 4/5 of the cards. They only want to know about "the hit".

Is it possible that in addition to every valid point that has been brought up thus far, that there is also an element of "lottery chasing" going on? How often do we see thread titled "What's the next Green Cobb?" or "What's the next Bond Bread?". I don't know, but I do believe, to a certain extent, that everyone wants the lottery ticket and they see this as a better/safer avenue than 6 good numbers.
Absolutely...there is no doubt this type of activity going on. As you stated many people looking for the next big card hoarding up T206s and other poses of different sets.
I think this is also an essential driver of prices is the hoarding of poses probably brought on by people collecting runs in the first place.

One collector on this board has posted 50 or more T206 One collector on this board has posted 50 or more T206 cobbs of various poses for exampls.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Right on cue.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#70c575a2f6e5
Old 01-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
It don't and it isn't even close for me. The Red Cobb is by far the most beautiful card in the set to me.

Not a big pre-war guy but hope to someday own a beater Red Cobb. Are there any other sets with the same pose?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It don't and it isn't even close for me. The Red Cobb is by far the most beautiful card in the set to me.

Not a big pre-war guy but hope to someday own a beater Red Cobb. Are there any other sets with the same pose?
M116, it's close anyhow.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

These cards were low and stagnant for years. I last collected T206 in 2005 and until 2015 I still pretty much knew the prices. They've gone up a ways but I think most of that really just made up for lack of consistent growth. I believe that some of the cards are still undervalued.

Beyond T206, i don't see how you go wrong with Ruth, Cobb, Young, WaJo, Matty, Gehrig and a few others from the great prewar sets. There are still good ones to be had at relatively low prices.

As for why a T206 portrait, well, look at them. They are beautiful little lithos. Even in lower grades

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-18-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

I prefer the Red myself, although I regret selling my Green and am looking for one. To me, in fact, the Red Cobb could be THE classic baseball card, at least of ones generally available.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Scott Russell

Torn between Cobb Red and Bat off as my favorites. Green is a distant third to me.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I've always preferred the Red Cobb over the other three as well. I never understood why the green was so much more expensive and why it's taking off like it is.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here