NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default N48 and educating the educated

Posted By: leon

So I sent in this SGC84 to be graded a while back with no kind of explanation. I know from collecting these that there are a few very scarce ones that don't have borders and are cropped differently. It came back unholdered as trimmed. It had to be as it didn't have the necessary borders, right? Well, not really. I then sent in the one with the borders and an explanation. To SGC's credit they will listen and learn on the nuances of what us addicts get into. I have spoken to them numerous times, as well as the Beckett guys, and they both say they learn something new all of the time. Personally, I think that is a big plus for both companies. There is a slight bit of discoloration on the 50, on the back, that holds the grade down.... best regards

[linked image]

Old 04-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Yet another reason why big bordered cards deserve a premium.

Leon- did I understand your post clearly? I've read in twice and I think I missed your point.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Assuming you are just messing with me and having fun my point was that it doesn't hurt to help educate the educated. The other thing was just to show an N48 variation I think is cool....No big deal....

Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I did misunderstand...skip it.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig W

Hi Leon,

I understand your intent of this thread is that grading companies can, and do, learn from "expert" collectors.

But specifically regarding the N48 Virginia Bright's, what I've noticed is that if they have the position listed (which in your left-hand example is "The Catcher"), then they typically have wide borders. But if they have a number on the front (which in your right-hand example is "7"), then they typically have almost no border. This "theory" is not to be confused with Dixie's or N508 Sub Rosas which all seem to have numbers on the front and wide borders. Is this generally what you've found to be true?

And kudos on the SGC 84 - that is an awesome looking card!

Best regards

Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Leon,

The uneducated thank you too! happy.gif

marty
Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

This may be a stupid question, but were the Virginia Brights cigarettes marketed to women (hence the women pictured), similar to Virginia Slims?

-Alan

Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

Leon,

The above two cards picture two different women or same woman and two different poses right?? There are certainly differences... The woman on the right has her fingers spread apart and there is a stripe on her pants that does not appear to be on the other.

All this matters only if the thought is that the two cards are the same???

Shawn

Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Craig- Yes, I have noticed that too though I have only seen very few without the borders.

Alan- Not sure if they were marketed to women or not. My guess is they were marketed to men moreso than women. In the 1880's women were sort of 2nd class citizens (at least with the rights they were given and how they were thought of).

Shawn- Same woman, different pose. Same backdrop....Both of these cards measure the same and were cropped differently. I was mainly just posting to get back into the swing of it after the new site debacle. The clouds, as opposed to sunshine, are in Dallas this morning so I need to do something to cheer me up....And I was giving a thumbs up to the grading companies as well as a bit of education for those that want to learn more. I am no expert on these but have handled quite a few...regards

I should clarify that the main intent of this thread was to expose folks to the borderless versions of N48.