NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Default Opening Day....Yankee Stadium 1923....and today

Posted By: David Atkatz

Well, Barry, as any priest or Rabbi would tell you, there are mysteries in this world.

And, if you'll notice, I wasn't fighting with Ted or Jeff. Each of them, for their own reasons, just decided to get nasty and personal. Jeff didn't even have a dog in this "fight." (Where was Calvin?)

To explicate one of those mysteries, let's just say that Bruce's inability to post anything without referring in some way to how much better he is at something, or how much better his collection is than anyone else's, or how much better his seats are, or... ad infinitum, just pisses me off. I'm not naive enough to think that provoking him will change his absurd and obnoxious behavior, but I'm no saint, and I just can't resist.

(And should the criteria for posting a photo of an original when a reprint has been posted be "Did Barry recognize it as a reprint?" Must we check with you first?)

Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

For the record, I suck at math.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

David,

Jeff's post wasn't even to you. It was directed to Sandy and Barry's witty repartee concerning the date of Mantle's retirement. (Just kidding guys.)

Old 04-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Jim, do you mean this post of Jeff's above?

"David, it's nice to see that you never miss a chance to flash that psychotic personality. Maybe if you ask Bruce nicely you two could get a room?"

Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Administrator

No. I was speaking of the other post. But since you went off on Ted for "being wrong", when in fact he wasn't, couldn't you just say: "Sorry Ted. I didn't realize they issued them in 1973. I picked mine up in 1976 at the "new" Stadium opening." ?

Then we could all move along with out talking about math, politics, physics and psychological problems.

Maybe we could even talk about old baseball cards.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Bruce's posts are grating but he is not going to change and most of the board understands that. There's no need to keep going after him every time he posts.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator

OK.

Sorry, Ted. You were not wrong. But neither was I.
(Still, there was no reason for you to be nasty. I simply posted a photo and said the reprint was given out in '76. I was not correcting you, as you hadn't said anything about the program at that point.)

(I think a simple re-reading of the posts, Jim, will show that Ted "went off" on me, tather than the other way 'round.)

Now, Jim, how about you apologize for missing Jeff's uncalled-for name-calling, and mistakenly accusing me of picking on our poor helpless, resident defense attorney? (Although I really wouldn't call "Nice to hear from you, too, Jeff" an "attack." Would you?)

Old 04-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Administrator

You are absolutely correct, Barry. There is no "need."

(Are you familiar with Bob Dylan's "Memphis Blues Again"?
Penultimate verse:

Then Ruthie says come see her
In her honky tonk lagoon.
Where I can watch her waltz for free
'Neath her Panamanian moon.
And I say 'Ah, come on now.
You know you know about my debutante.'
And she says 'Your debutante just knows what you need.
But I know what you want.'

I've always loved that song.)

Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Blonde on Blonde is a great album. I love "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands."

Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Concerning Ted: You said: "and an original 1923 opening day program (unlike the 1976 reprint pictured above.)"
The ticklish comment is the part in parenthesis, in case you were wondering. Without that tone, the comment probably would have passed unnoticed.

Concerning Jeff: He said you had a psychotic personality. First, it's a medical opinion offered by a defense lawyer. Take it for what it's worth. Second, I'm not 100% sure it's wrong. Whether or not you're a peach of a guy in person, I don't know. On the board, his comment has a ring of truth. And sometimes "Nice to hear from you too." is an attack. It's all about tone, again.

Concerning the Bruces: No one has more fun poking fun at them than I do. My first suggestion is just block emails from his email address. Most Internet Service Providers have this option. Bruce brings it on himself, and I don't think he minds it so much. Your differences with Ted and Jeff are different. They're not about cards, or memorabilia. They're about politics. That's what doesn't belong here. No one has more different political opinions than Barry and Ted, yet they get along just fine.

Concerning me: I just want board peace. If I offended you, by "missing" Jeff's post, I am truly sorry.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I have been researching Harry M. Stevens, Inc. If you don't mind, can I email you and with some questions ?

Harry M. Stevens produced all the World Series programs from the 1920's to the 1950's. Also, the 1st Yankees
Yearbook (Sketch Book in 1950) and many subsequent yearbooks.

His firm (NYC based) was into everything related to BB souvenirs and concessions. Also, I think he is credited
for introducing the "ballpark hot dog"

..............\/.................................................. ...\/
[linked image]

TED Z

Old 04-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator

OK, Jim. I'm not going to argue any longer. There was no "tone" in my original comment. I can see how it could have been misinterpreted, though. And I disagree with you about Jeff's comments, but so be it.

I will no longer respond to Bruce. I'll just roll my eyes, and bite my tongue (or fingers, to update the expression.)

We'll see what happens.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator

No! No! No!

Please continue to respond to Bruce!

LOL

Old 04-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Jim- you've noticed that Ted and I are political opposites? But I've moderated recently, and now I am a diehard Mugwump.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sandy Schwartz

Sure Ted ... zjams@optonline.net

Not sure I'll have many answers, but my father may be able to help ... he's 85 and lucid (in between his moments of insanity and delirium! happy.gif ). He remembers more about the 1938 Tigers than what he had for lunch yesterday, that may help in this case!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Barry,

Only because the Whigs stopped accepting members?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

"No! No! No!

Please continue to respond to Bruce!"

Have I received your imprimatur?!

(If so, I promise to leave Ted and Jeff alone. And if they chime in when I reply to Bruce, I'll simply say "Jim said it was OK.")

Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

That was an awesome story. That is what collecting and baseball is all about. Thanks for sharing.

I have a BA in General Studies. I was going for a BS degree but the math got to me (well, with my adolescent distractions anything could have gotten to me).....

Lets have a "happy board" please...best regards

Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

No imprimatur needed or implied. I just seem to enjoy those posts more. It was simply a request.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

I'm 70....and, memories of the Yankees when I was a kid (1947 to 1961) are clearer in my mind
than what I did yesterday.

I'll email you later today.

TED Z

Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

I became a Mugwump because it is such a cool word...is there a better word in the English language than "Mugwump?" I doubt it.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Administrator

I'm trying to be "cool"........but...."I didn't start this fire". I simply posted my 1923 Yankees (re-
print) program to have a meaningful discussion about Opening Days.

I expect now, that I've posted my original 1923 World Series program....it, too, will be "trashed"
by the usual suspect.

Regards,

TED Z

Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Thx Leon. As for the math, unlike you, I have no excuse, my major was actuarial science.
Ted, got it, I'll look for your email later tonight.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Geesh, if we're doing full disclosure here, I was an "A" student all the way through Calc I. I immediately "got" Basic Statistics and Inferential Stat. After that, I was dead in the water. As soon as it got more theoretical and less practical, I was clueless.

I'm unsure how that relates to this board. I seem to get by just fine.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Administrator

"I expect now, that I've posted my original 1923 World Series program....it, too, will be "trashed"
by the usual suspect."

Ah, come on, Ted. All I did was say the '23 Opener was a reprint.

As far as your original 1923 WS program, it's one of the nicest ones I've seen. Nicer than mine, in fact.

(You do know, of course, that while these programs were printed in 1923, they weren't distributed until the 1926 World Series. wink.gif )

Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Jim,
Easy connection to this board ... you were able to understand the stats on the back of the cards! happy.gif No need for differential calc there!
We all have our strengths & weaknesses .. I couldn't hack biology or chemistry ... but then again, never needed those subjects to appreciate the underlying essence of an E107!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Sandy,

A funny and somewhat related story: In Elementary School when it came time to convert fractions to decimals, many kids were stumped. I always got it instantly. The teacher asked me if an older brother or sister had helped teach it to me. I responded that I got it from baseball. If a guy goes 3 for 8, he's hitting .375. If you can do that, how hard can decimals be?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Yes Jim, the many benefits of being a baseball nut! If only baseball could have somehow helped me with mitosis, cytoplasm, molecules, etc. I still don't know what a damn mole is! And I wouldn't understand it even if someone explained it to me!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Administrator

It's a little animal that tunnels in your garden, and eats the roots of your favorite plants.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I remember as a kid, when I used to keep stats in my Strat-O-Matic league, that the Sporting News published a book that gave batting averages for virtually every possible combination of hits and at bats. So if I guy had 70 hits in 223 at bats, you would go to the 70 column and the 223 row and it would read .314. It was called "Batting Averages at a Glance." Did anyone else have that?

And I too was able to correlate batting averages with converting fractions to decimals. It came naturally to me.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator

David's 100% correct. A good pesticide to kill the grubs will usually force the moles to move on. Be sure to stick with a selective pesticide that will not harm beneficial insects and earthworms!

That's not it? Consult a dermatologist.

By the way David, not to be argumentative, but moles don't eat roots, they are insectivores. they eat the grubs that eat the roots. You're thinking of voles or gophers. happy.gif

Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Barry,
I spent many a day playing Strat-O-Matic, still have the old game sitting in my dad's garage somewhere. Never got the Almanac ... just did the long division to get the decimals ... early signs of actuarial tendencies. Money I saved on the Almanac was spent trying to complete the 7th series of Topps each year.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

It brings this Jays fan joys to see the Yanks and Sox stumble out of the gates. I know it won't last long but the Jays are doing well and Halladay is 3-0. (Halladay is imho the best pitcher in the game today)

Old 04-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator

"By the way David, not to be argumentative, but moles don't eat roots, they are insectivores. they eat the grubs that eat the roots. You're thinking of voles or gophers."

I grew up in the Bronx, so you should be amazed that I at least know that a mole is a tunneling mammal. happy.gif

I learned about grubs about ten years ago, when I walked across my lawn and the grass just came away under my feet.

So if moles eat grubs, they're good, no?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Sandy- the two years I played Strat-O-Matic were 1964 and 1965. Once during that time I came home with a bad report card and my parents took the game away until my grades improved. True story.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Let's get back ON TOPIC......

The Good News......

My last attended Opener at Yankee Stadium was in April 1992. Boston was in town; and, the starters were Clemens
for the Red Sox and Scott Sanderson for the Yankees. We were situated in the 3rd deck behind homeplate and sur-
rounded by a huge contingent of Red Sox fans.

In the 1st inning I was distracted when Phil Plantier was at bat. I'll never forget it, I heard one of the sharpest cracks
of the bat as it struck the ball that I have ever heard....as Plantier drove the ball deep into the RF stands. Mo Vaughan
followed with a "back-to-backer" and the Red Sox were up 2-0. The Red Sox fans around us were going wild. Fortunately,
Sanderson settled down and the Sox didn't score anymore off him. I told my buddies not to worry and that the Yankees
would find a way to get to Clemens.

Sure enough, in the bottom of the 6th, Randy Velarde led off with a Single....Don Mattingly, Roberto Kelly and Danny Tar-
tabull followed up with hits and the Yanks were ahead 4-2.

The Yankees won it and a great start for their new Manager, Buck Showalter.

The Bad News

The Red Sox fans around us started a few fights and resorted to actions too nasty to mention here.

TED Z

Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

"Blond on Blond is a great album. I love Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowland."

I believe there is some disparity as to who that song was written about. Joan Baez has claimed it was written about her, while others maintain it was written with one of Dylan's other former lovers in mind (either Suze Rotolo or Sara Dylan--I forget). I don't recall ever reading Dylan's take on the subject. Knowing him, he likely remains ambiguous!

"I was a Mugwump"

Funny, Barry. I never made the connection between you and Momma Cass. happy.gif

Old 04-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I think the Yankees reprinted the program from that 1992 opener, but they didn't distribute them until '95.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Jodi- I recently read Suze Rotolo's book, but I have no recollection if she discussed that song.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator

"So if moles eat grubs, they're good, no?"

Sure. Except for the damn tunnels they seem to like.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Administrator

"I think the Yankees reprinted the program from that 1992 opener, but they didn't distribute them until '95."

Rob D. = troublemaker

Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

but, isn't it "Blonde on Blonde?"

Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I have talked to people who went to the Yankee museum and I took a tour of it via the telecast and I must say, they put $1.5 Billion into this carnival and gave the visitors a rather shabby museum. The ball wall is a total joke. Below the Babe Ruth ball, is an Ian Kennedy??? They have basically "two" staples...Ruth and a personalized side panel Gehrig? You would expect a franchise with such a tradition to give us more of a history (memorabilia wise) like uniforms, historic items and such. I'm sure they could get people to donate stuff.

DJ

Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Administrator

As he is the resident spelling despot, I did not want to point that out to Barry! happy.gif

Old 04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Administrator

I know I spelled it wrong, but I was too lazy to fix it. I also think it's "Lowlands", not "Lowland."

I just fixed it. I have a reputation to uphold.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

"I believe there is some disparity as to who that song was written about. Joan Baez has claimed it was written about her, while others maintain it was written with one of Dylan's other former lovers in mind (either Suze Rotolo or Sara Dylan--I forget). I don't recall ever reading Dylan's take on the subject. Knowing him, he likely remains ambiguous!"

One of the lines in Dylan's later song "Sara" is

"Staying up all night at the Chelsea Hotel
Writing Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands for you."

Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Administrator

That's right, too, David. It WAS Sara. Sorry--outside of "Blood on the Tracks", my taste (and, therefore, knowledge) of Dylan's ouvre predates 1970.

Edit: Baez DOES maintain that the song was written about her, though.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Mine basically predates 1966. As far as I'm concerned Dylan reached his peak with Blonde on Blonde.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator

I nearly agree with you on that. In my mind, his greatest accomplishment rests solely on Bringing it all Back Home . The concept of having an acoustic A-side coupled with an electric B-side has been copied ad nauseum by countless artists, most successfully IMHO by Dylan devotee Neil Young (with his classic Rust Never Sleeps ). "It's Alright, Ma" might be the greatest lyric ever conceived. Even 44 years after the fact, it fails to lose resonance.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

I would have to say Blood On The Tracks is post-66 but excellent IMO. Occasionally, there's a lot of "Idiot Wind" blowing around these parts.