NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay Price History Over Time?

Posted By: Chris

Is there an application, a website, or a book that shows the change in the prices of cards over time? I am curious to see the change in prices.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

VCP does a pretty good job of it....

Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hennessey

leon doesnt vcp charge? i use www.t206.com the t206 price guide. its just another source of info on how much past cards sell for too

Old 04-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Yes, there is a cost to use VCP.....The cost is made up many times over if you do much buying and selling....at least it has been for me and some others. VCP shows auction house prices realized too...best regards

Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

wow vcp is pricey but i like the featues. is there a general percentage change year over year in the value of cards?

Old 04-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

VCP is the only service available that will give you REAL data, unlike the SMR which is filled with fallacies and useless info. Slowly but surely as VCP continues over time, their data base will provide you with what you are looking for in terms of card value changes as the current market indicates.

There is no given percentage up or down on cards, but I can tell you that what I collect has seen a decline in value. I would have to "blame" the economic climate for perhaps collectors not having the discretionary monies they may once have had. I suspect when the economy recovers, the trend will be back on the upswing.

The price of VCP is peanut money when you look deep into the features they provide for the annual cost. The "want list" feature alone, which notifies you via email when a card you have listed has come up for auction, not only on eBay, but at several auction houses, will save you untold hours of searching for the card.

Really hard to go wrong with VCP, at least it gives you a current market perspecitve on what you may want to bid on a card you want or need. SMR?? TOTALLY USELESS. For those that may read this and think I'm wrong, I have a standing offer to buy ANY and ALL 1955 Topps #3 Art Fowler PSA 8 (NQ)cards for THREE times SMR...SMR claims and has for years that the value of this card is $80. Ain't so!!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Chris,

Whether or not VCP is "pricey" depends upon your perspective. If your card budget is $1000 this year, it might seem to be that way. If you spend anything more than that it starts getting easier. I can tell you that it has been well worth it to me for the last 2 years.

He also has a couple of different options to save money. You can pay monthly at either level of service or you can save up your questions/requests and then just join for the $3.99 price for a single day.

But if you're looking to buy graded cards there is nothing I know of that's better. Ebay's info seems to be on their site for about 2 weeks. Bobby has 3-4 years of pricing and, for the last year or so, scans of many of the cards that were actually sold.

Bobby Binder is a board member here and I'm sure would be glad to talk to you about any questions you might have.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

I agree, VCP is a great pricing service, and worth the money if you are buying or selling graded cards.

As to whether SMR is worthless, I don't think so, not in general. At least I don't recommend you tell Rob Lifson that, as he quotes SMR values copiously throughout the current REA auction as a guideline for the value of the lots he is offering.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Really not much more that I can say that has not already been said. And thanks for the nice things we work hard to provide the best possible data to help you make an educated decision.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

my experience with VCP has been nothing but positive.

Just last month I wake up to an email from VCP that a card on my Wantlist has been listed on ebay. I immediately click on to the link and there it is with a BIN at about a fourth of what the card is worth. I was able to buy the card before anyone else even had a chance to see the listing. That transaction alone would pay for the service for several years.