NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default No return on graded cards...

Posted By: James Gallo

Ok so why do sellers bother to list this in an ebay auction.
Assuming they take paypal they will have to take the card back for any reason teh buyer wants.

Has anyone had a buyer try to return a graded card through paypal before?

I am curious how it all went down.

I recently had someone return a card and I just took it back since I knew paypal would side with the buyer. I figured the sooner I get it back the sooner I can try to sell it again.

Thoughts..

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cashews

i find most sellers who put that in their auction are selling cards graded by the less reputable grading services like pro and csa. i know if i bought a csa 7 card and measured it to find it had been trimmed i would want to return it even though it is technically graded and authenticated by a third party. if its an sgc or psa card though i dont see why someone would want to send it back.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I wasn't aware that Paypal allows a buyer to return an item for no reason whatsoever. That opens a whole world of questions. How long does a buyer have to return an item? How does that work with event tickets? What if the buyer states different terms in his listing, such as a restocking fee?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I am with Matt on this and almost everything he states about anything for that matter. I think a buyer needs a good reason and then must prove it. I returned a T206 that the seller was very honest but took a bad picture making the card look like a rare color variation. He wouldn't take it back so I filed a paypal claim. I had to show pictures orf the common version and explain why this was not as it seemed to get refunded. Dan.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

i find most sellers who put that in their auction are selling cards graded by the less reputable grading services like pro and csa.

There are many extremely reputable sellers on eBay who sell only PSA and SGC graded cards who have this disclaimer in their auctions.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

so.... if I sell a graded card - I put that disclaimer in.

I think with a proper description, scans of the card, and a third party grading opinion (SGC or PSA) -
a return is just unfair.

If you are not sure you want the item (after the description / scans / and third-party grading opinion) - don't bid.

Thats my opinion. I know it potentially means fewer bidders and lower final prices.... but I don't want to deal with people who have buyer's remorse or are trying to scam me.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

With the amount of comments on this board alone like "How does this card grade only a ... " and "Can you believe this received a ..." I don't blame sellers at all for using this disclaimer. If they didn't, then I imagine whenever a buyer bought a PSA 5 or SGC 60 card that he thought was overgraded, he'd expect the seller to take it back.

That being said, if a seller is going to use that disclaimer, I think he owes it to perspective buyers to provide large scans so that bidders can use their own judgement.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Administrator

In my experience you can say just about anything and paypal will force the seller to take the item back.

I mean really would it be that hard to come up with something like, oh the card has a mark or the case is scratched etc.

The not as described is very vague at best.

That being said so far it doesn't seem like anyone here has had to deal with this.

However my main point is that even with the disclaimer, paypal can over rule it with ease.

James G

Old 04-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

"However my main point is that even with the disclaimer, paypal can over rule it with ease."

I doubt it.

I believe it would be difficult to argue for a return with a 'no returns' policy on an item.
And it would be easy to argue why a return is not allowed.

edit: spelling

Old 04-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator

sometimes a seller only provides a scan of the front of a graded card and not the back. i know if i bought a card that was graded say a 40 by sgc that looked beautiful from the front scans and then i received it and found that the back was all inked up i'd want to return it. so i agree that if a seller is going to put this disclaimer on their auctions they should provide large and detailed scans of the front and back of the card.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Addie - in that case you could send the card SGC and get reimbursed.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

addie is my nephew, i've seen cards with ink on the back that have received 40s by sgc so i dont think they would do anything about it. a grade is a grade. i just mean that if i bid on a card i didnt think had any marks on it and then find that it does id like a refund even if its graded.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU&feature=related

BcD

Old 04-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Joe are you kidding me?

Have you dealt with paypal as the seller of an item.

I never ever hear a selling winning and unless you pay with a credit card paypal has the final word and there is nothing you can do about it.

"I doubt it.

I believe it would be difficult to argue for a return with a 'no returns' policy on an item.
And it would be easy to argue why a return is not allowed."

So IMO any return policy you state becomes void via paypal rules and logic.

I can put I don't accept returns on any listing I want but that won't prevent people from putting in a paypal claim, sending the item back and getting the money they paid.

This is one of the major problems with paypal, no seller protection.

James G