NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2019, 07:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default Two US Caramel Hornsbys in HA last night

SGC 88 -- 11,400.
PSA 8.5 -- 52,800.

Offered without commentary.

https://sports.ha.com/c/search-resul...rch-A-K-071316

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:36 AM
pete ullman

that's quite a premium for a better centered card!
Old 04-19-2019, 07:44 AM
T0m P00n

Old 04-19-2019, 07:51 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I just wanted to triple the responses in the Heritage thread compared to the Saco River one.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

There were some serious prewar cards in this auction. Not that that would merit any discussion on a pre-war message board or anything.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-19-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I woke up this morning and looked at the prices and just shook my head. A ton of money for a ton of cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There were some serious prewar cards in this auction. Not that that would merit any discussion on a pre-war message board or anything.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I woke up this morning and looked at the prices and just shook my head. A ton of money for a ton of cards.
On the other hand, at the lower tier, I thought there were some good buys.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
On the other hand, at the lower tier, I thought there were some good buys.
This one boomeranged back to me for about what it sold for 3 yrs ago. I always liked the cigar added touch.
Such is the stuff I collect. Starts low and stays low...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mack.jpg (63.6 KB, 555 views)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:29 AM
Taylor Hamilton

I grabbed the e220 Ruth PSA 1 for less than 2k.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Mac Wubben

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
I grabbed the e220 Ruth PSA 1 for less than 2k.
I was the underbidder on that card. Congrats! Consolation prize of a few e94 overprints...which I love.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:48 AM
Taylor Hamilton

Thank you and congrats on your new cards as well. I was shocked when I woke up this morning and saw I won. Card last sold on eBay for 2,400 last year. While I realize it’s missing a corner, it doesn’t affect the image and it’s hard to be picky when the pop is so low. Plus I liked that it was graded PSA 1 vs. PSA authentic. It will pair nicely with my PSA 1 e121.

After a t227 cobb and then this I’ll be taking a break for awhile, at least til the next REA.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Rob

Default E105

E105 Chase $19,200
E105 Jennings $15,600
E105 Seigle $5520
E105 Lobert $1320

The Lobert is about what these have been going for. I had a bid in on the Seigle at around $375.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:52 AM

That Leach W600 went for a ton of money. Had me wondering what I was missing.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That Leach W600 went for a ton of money. Had me wondering what I was missing.
I was the underbidder on the W600 Bobby Wallace "Rookie Card". Obviously rookie collectors don't consider it his rookie or I would not have been the underbidder with it selling for only $900. It looks like this exact card has been traded around a few times in recent years. I was just looking for a bargain type card. Cameo Pepsin's aren't really cards to me, but I don't understand about rookie cards unless it's really obvious like a 1978 Eddie Murray or something.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Perhaps...

Thinking to crack and resubmit hoping for a 9?
Old 04-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Thinking to crack and resubmit hoping for a 9?
Wow, do people crack $52,000 cards? I guess advanced collectors do. On this issue I'd like to see bright white borders to pay a condition premium, otherwise a nice excellent copy seems like a better deal.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:29 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
E105 Chase $19,200
E105 Jennings $15,600
E105 Seigle $5520
E105 Lobert $1320

The Lobert is about what these have been going for. I had a bid in on the Seigle at around $375.
E105 are crazy. The Jennings and Chase prices are nuts, and then Lobert goes for practically nothing. The last Lobert I am aware of went for almost $5k in the same grade.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-19-2019, 05:58 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Bottom line-If you have a card to grade and care about ultimate value use PSA.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:59 PM
Dave Fa*st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This one boomeranged back to me for about what it sold for 3 yrs ago. I always liked the cigar added touch.
Such is the stuff I collect. Starts low and stays low...

Leon surely that's not all you won last night - would have figured you would have had a hand in that E222 pot.

I picked up four postcards between last night and tonight....happy with prices I paid. One Lincoln Publishing and three Rose Company.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:14 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Bottom line-If you have a card to grade and care about ultimate value use PSA.
Would you say that applies to rare 19th century cards? Cards such as that are not collected by registry collectors, nor are they valuable because they are condition rarities. Taking nothing away from PSA, if I wanted such a card authenticated and graded, I would feel more comfortable going to SGC.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
I was the underbidder on that card. Congrats! Consolation prize of a few e94 overprints...which I love.
picked up my first e94 OP myself
Old 04-20-2019, 06:38 AM
Paul

People seem persuaded by the “pop one” on that Chase and Jennings. Otherwise, the discrepancy from the Lobert makes no sense.

Collecting is collecting. If “pop reports” are your thing, more power to you. I just hope I never pursue something and have to battle it out with a registry person.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-20-2019, 07:39 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I was the underbidder on the W600 Bobby Wallace "Rookie Card". Obviously rookie collectors don't consider it his rookie or I would not have been the underbidder with it selling for only $900. It looks like this exact card has been traded around a few times in recent years. I was just looking for a bargain type card. Cameo Pepsin's aren't really cards to me, but I don't understand about rookie cards unless it's really obvious like a 1978 Eddie Murray or something.
Not sure how much rookie card collectors care, but the W600 Wallace in the Heritage sale was on a Type 2 mount, which was definitely issued after the Type 1s.

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 04-22-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:07 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Seemed like a pretty middling auction for HA.... which is still more interesting than 95% of other auctions out there.

Still amazes me that people pay hundreds of thousands for cards of obscure people. Something I could never do. Take a flyer on an important Ruth or Shoeless Joe card? Sure. But to pay $300k for some dude from late 1800s just blows my mind. That Brooklyn postcard was amazing though.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:31 AM

I really wanted the W600 Street Clothes Wagner. I even consigned a few cards to fray the cost (and I never consign). Holy crap, I never had a chance!! That card ended for double where I was willing to pay, and I thought I was paying up, considering a type I sold in the last year for $170k. I wonder if the high bidder new it was a type II. All I know is it doubled in price after I bowed out, which meant there were several people bidding on it who were willing to spend big money. The moral for me (after that and the whole t206 Johnson discussion) is that there are plenty of people - seasoned collectors and new investors - willing to pay relatively massive amounts for cards they really want, regardless of past comparisons. I have been guilty myself. God Bless’em.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 04-20-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
People seem persuaded by the “pop one” on that Chase and Jennings. Otherwise, the discrepancy from the Lobert makes no sense.

Collecting is collecting. If “pop reports” are your thing, more power to you. I just hope I never pursue something and have to battle it out with a registry person.
I think it is 2 people collecting the set in a bidding war. Once they battled it out on the first Lobert, when the 2nd one came up, the underbidder was able to get it at a market price. There are only 2 e105 Chase cards graded by psa, so it is a rare card like a T206 Lenox. It's not like a 1950's card, where there are thousands available and the only price factor is the tpg grade.

Re: W600, Kevin, I stopped bidding on the Wallace, as I don't know enough about w600 to be spending lots of money on one. Heritage called the Wallace sgc 20 a "type 1" and I was going off their description. Rob

Last edited by RCMcKenzie; 04-20-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 04-20-2019, 10:51 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Would you say that applies to rare 19th century cards? Cards such as that are not collected by registry collectors, nor are they valuable because they are condition rarities. Taking nothing away from PSA, if I wanted such a card authenticated and graded, I would feel more comfortable going to SGC.
If I was grading an Anson in Uniform, or any 19th century rarity, I would use PSA. I believe that a PSA graded card, even if it is not currently a registry card, will sell for more than an SGC graded card.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If I was grading an Anson in Uniform, or any 19th century rarity, I would use PSA. I believe that a PSA graded card, even if it is not currently a registry card, will sell for more than an SGC graded card.
I think that is true in most cases, notwithstanding SGC's rebranding effort.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:58 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Putting aside resale price/investment potential for a moment and looking at it purely from a collecting perspective, would whether a rare 19th century card was graded by PSA or SGC mean anything to you in deciding whether it was real/altered and how much you were willing to pay for it?

Maybe I am behind the times, and again not intending this as a negative statement about PSA, but for me as a collector wanting to know what I am buying, I would have more confidence in a SGC than a PSA grade.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:14 PM

+1 re SGC

PSA gets the higher dollars, but I trust SGC more, and so I am happy (indeed of often prefer) my 100+ year-old cards, many quite rare, in SGC flips. And if that means I get an equal card at 70% the price, bonus.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:01 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
+1 re SGC

PSA gets the higher dollars, but I trust SGC more, and so I am happy (indeed of often prefer) my 100+ year-old cards, many quite rare, in SGC flips. And if that means I get an equal card at 70% the price, bonus.
Same. I send in all of my raw cards to SGC unless they don’t grade an issue. All of my Registry set cards are bought in PSA and I buy none raw. On prewar, non-Registry cards, I try to buy just SGC as I trust them more and like the flips more — but sometimes the cards are rare and you buy what you can get. On T206 I’ll buy either PSA or SGC because while the cards may be worth less in SGC holders they’re cheaper too. And sometimes a much better looking, same graded SGC card goes for a discount to its PSA twin.

Finally, while SGC service has been great for me, I find that a call or email to PSA is handled very well of late.

Last edited by calvindog; 04-20-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:13 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Corey: In all honesty, I trust my opinion of a card more than either PSAs or SGCs (as I’m sure you do) and do not rely on either to tell me if a card is good. My reasons for slabbing a card would be protection and/or resale value and with those criteria I think PSA is the clear winner.
As for knowledge, I think SGC is worse at detecting trimming, and they both miss more other things than they should.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Corey: In all honesty, I trust my opinion of a card more than either PSAs or SGCs (as I’m sure you do) and do not rely on either to tell me if a card is good. My reasons for slabbing a card would be protection and/or resale value and with those criteria I think PSA is the clear winner.
That's fair, and certainly in regard to CdVs, cabinet and trade cards, if I was to rely on anyone other than myself as to questions of authenticity or alteration, it would not be a grading company.

Where we differ pertains to more conventional baseball cards. Being more a memorabilia collector than a card collector and not handling that many cards, I do not regard myself as having more expertise in detecting fakes/alterations than an experienced card grader. And rightly or wrongly I perceive SGC to have more experienced and knowledgeable graders than PSA. So for those conventional-type baseball cards in this era of high values and prolific counterfeiting and alteration, I probably would feel more comfortable having SGC look at it than relying solely on my own opinion.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:49 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I understand that. My collecting interests are so limited that it is easy to “know” what I collect very well. Not that I can’t be fooled, I can be. I just think it is less likely that I will be fooled that a TPG being fooled.