NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 01-25-2015, 04:41 PM
Peter

Default Books about Boxing/Wrestling

Has anybody read any good boxing/wrestling related books lately?

I just read William Gildea's "The Longest Fight," which is about Joe Gans. I thought it was a nice read with some interesting detail about the man.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Jason Presley

I finally read "Hooker" by Lou Thesz & Kit Bauman. I thought it was outstanding and really works as a history of professional wrestling as much as a biography.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I recently finished an amazing book by Boxing News editor Tris Dixon, entitled "The Road to Nowhere: A Journey Through Boxing's Wastelands." I cannot recommend the book highly enough. I picked it up from the publisher for $20, but it is available on Kindle for $9.99. The hardcover version apparently won't be available from Amazon in the U.S. until April.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Road-Nowhe...ustomerReviews

If you are familiar with Lawrence Ritter's iconic baseball book "The Glory of their Times," Dixon did with boxers what Ritter did with baseball players. In the early 2000s, Dixon made two separate, month-long visits to the U.S. in search of as many old-time boxers as he could find. While on a very bare-bones budget, Dixon invested in an open Greyhound bus ticket on each of his two trips that allowed him unlimited rides on Greyhound buses to wherever he wanted to go in the U.S. and Canada for a month at a time.

Dixon spent time in Atlantic City, Philadelphia, New York, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Miami, California, Toronto and a whole lot of ghettos and small towns, usually sleeping in Greyhound bus terminals, on the buses or $30 a night dive hotels while trying to track down boxers from the 1950s through the 1990s. Dixon frequently washed and shaved in bus terminal bathrooms when he would go several days without a hotel room.

The theme of the book is that most of the boxers Dixon tracked down were contenders or cult favorites who have long been forgotten by the public. The result was absolutely fascinating. Dixon tracked down over 40 different boxers and the meetings varied wildly.

Many of the boxers Dixon located suffered from mild to severe dementia, and far too many were down and out without much to show for their careers. Dixon was put in contact with some of the men featured in the book through sources in the industry. Others were located through local gyms and still others were located through phone books and cold-calling.

If you love boxing and want to read something far different than just a standard bio, Dixon's book is tremendous.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Murr the Blurr

Forgive the shameless self-promotion:

Chuvalo: A fighter's life
'The story of boxing's last gladiator'

by George Chuvalo and Murray Greig

Published by HarperCollins, 2014. Available in hardcover and paperback.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Try "In This Corner..." by Heller. A seminal boxer interview book. He caught the guys as far back as the teens on into the 1970s.

For fiction, try anything by F.X. Toole. Just astoundingly beautiful writing.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Dave

I always recommend "Dark Trade" by Donald McRae to anybody interested in reading a boxing related book.........boxing fan or not it's a stellar read.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:22 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Really enjoyed Stanley Ketchel, A Life of Triumph and Prophecy by Manuel A. Mora. (2010) Tunney, Boxing's Brainiest Champ and His Upset of the Great Jack Dempsey by Jack Cavanaugh is also awesome. (2006)

If you want something different try Million Dollar Maybe, My Transition from Corporate Vice President to Professional Boxer at age 40 by Bill Coleman. (2006)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stanley Ketchel Book Cover.jpg (76.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Bill Coleman Book.jpg (77.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Jerry G; 01-27-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Jimmy

"The Real Sugar Ray"

Last edited by jbsports33; 01-28-2015 at 06:10 PM.