NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Scott Gerace

Default The subtitle made me chuckle!

Nobody's perfect and I've made my share of mistakes but the subtitle to this listing made me laugh!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Bowman-...item25ad2d1653
Old 09-08-2015, 11:18 AM
pariah1107

That is funny. "One of the greatest QB's of all-time" haha. "One of the greatest coaches of all-time, maybe...." but not a very memorable defensive back/halfback from the era. Or, have I underrated Tom as a player?
Old 09-08-2015, 08:25 PM
John

I see some good seasons in Landry's player record: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...L/LandTo00.htm - better than Don Shula.

He's selling a Tom Landry, an Otto Graham, and a Bobby Layne and the rest baseball cards, so I guess the subtitle fitting 2 out of 3 ain't bad...... Layne used to pop up on all the great QB lists, but has fallen off with the inclusion of so many recent/modern QBs.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:36 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

At a card show I had a dealer try to tell me this was Johnny Carson of "Tonight Show" fame
Larry
 photo Scan 86.jpeg
 photo Scan 87.jpeg
Old 09-09-2015, 08:48 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I'm such a football novice and have wanted to come clean about this for awhile. When a team has a first down inside the five yard line. For sixty plus years I thought this was called "Goal to Goal". Then last year I find out the announcers have been saying "Goal to Go"
Larry
Old 09-09-2015, 09:26 AM
John

Larry, I'd bet you know more football than Jefferson Burdick did, so you're not in bad company. You reminded me of some old touch football rules where the only first down was at midfield, so you could have goal to go with a ways to go.

I like the Johnny Carson - I bet there are cards of players who are actually known better for doing something other than football, but I can't think of any.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Rob

I bet that card made even Tom chuckle and the subtitle certainly would have, well, assuming of course Tom ever did actually chuckle.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:45 AM
pariah1107

I like the Johnny Carson as well. One of the many 1950's football cards with a white football.

Does anyone on the board have a game-used white football? I am sure they exist, and always thought I should find more when looking for autographs of players from the 50's etc.... The problem is : when I search "white football", even "vintage white football", let's just say something else comes up (not Danny White)..... Did a particular manufacturer make them to help in the search title? Thank you in advance. Sorry for the thread derailment.

Last edited by pariah1107; 09-09-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Scott Gerace

Default Ed McMahon

Who could forget Jack Carson's sidekick, the hard drinking Ed...err...Jim McMahon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan.jpg (72.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Scott Gerace

Ty,
The NFL used the "Duke" football made by Wilson from the 1940's through 1970. I'm not certain that the white footballs are "Duke"'s but you may want to try "white wilson duke football" or "white wilson football" for your search. I've had the best luck on an ebay search with just "white wilson football". Good luck.
Scott
Old 09-09-2015, 01:19 PM
pariah1107

Thanks Scott, that focused the search considerably.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
I bet that card made even Tom chuckle and the subtitle certainly would have, well, assuming of course Tom ever did actually chuckle.
I'm horrible at telling jokes, certainly not in the same league with Walt Garrison, but according to Cowboys lore, someone asked Walt if he'd ever seen Tom Landry smile. I've heard Walt gave two answers to that question:

"No, but I only been here nine years", and

"Well, he has two kids, so he must've smiled at least twice" (or somesuch, I'm sure I mangled it)