NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Crosby Protected by league

How many of you seen the end of the Pengiuns and Redwings game. They only show Howard attacking Crosby but not showing Crosby cross checking Zetterburg in the back after the game is over. If it was the other way around they would have showed Zetterburg cross checking and would have wanted action taken against him like the rules say. Why do they protect this no class jerk? Oh I forgot we let star do anything they want. So are they really as good as they say and how good would others be if they could get away with what the stars do. I watch about half as much sports now because of this crap. What are we teaching our kids about sportsmanship?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Jim D

spoken like a true Red Wings fan......

First off, i am not a Penguins fan in the least, i am an Oilers fan. Sydney is not a dirty player. He takes more shit and abuse then any other player in the league. Zetterberg is known for his agressive style and his dirty stick work. On the sports channel up here, you get to see both sides as hockey gets first dibs on tv time. Zetterberg was poking and hacking him all night long, Sydney just gave him a little something something back. Then Howard decides he needs to play hero.

Howard is lucky he didnt get a 3rd man in penalty... Crosby wasnt the problem on that play, it was Howard who cause the whole ruckus. Howard needs to worry about getting his team into the playoffs, and saving pucks, not rubbing his glove into Crosby's mouth from behind.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Dynarl Broughman

How can you say he is not a dirty player when he crossed checked Zetterburg three times in the BACK after the game was over and one time in the chest before Howard got into the altercation. If you seen the game you would know this but if you watched the replays they cut that part off. Being an Oilers fan I would think you would know what a class act would be. Wayne Gretzky respected other players and the game of hockey. He made the sport better and kids looked up to him. Watch the Penguins game real close and you can see there isn't the closeness on the team that you see on other teams. I took my son to see Gordy Howe and he signed a puck for him and then played keepaway from him with it. The smile on Gordy's face and my sons said it all. The players now want big money and more to sign something for you and they have no time for the kids. Maybe you don't see the change as much as I do because I was a Redwings fan before you were a twinkle in your dad's eye.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Jim D

i was never a twinkle... i was the result of a six pack and a wet spot!

My opinion on that game, which i watched on TSN, is Sydney took a ton of abuse all game, Zetterberg dished it out as much as anyone... The difference between Wayne and Syd is that Wayne had Dave "Cement head" Semenko to do his dirty work, and Sydney has to stick up for himself. Did he cross check, yep, but it was payment for all he received all game. Turn about is fair play. These two teams do not like each other... playing each other in the finals the past 2 years does that....

Detroit is playing desperate hockey right now. Rough and agressive, and when you give it out, you better be able to take it back... Detroit fans deserve a good team for a few more years, for all the years they had to put up with brutal teams.

I am not anti Detroit either, Stevie Y is one of my all time favorite players and a total class act all the way.

I know there is a huge Penguins fan here on the board, maybe we can get his opinion.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Jim I started this because I am retired and board. Me and my three brothers are Michigan fans and My Dad started to root for Michigan State and after a few years I asked my Dad why he was for MSU and he said it wouldn't be any fun if we where all UM fans. Now I put on my Dad's old MSU hat this time of the year and root for the basketball team and wish he was still hear to bicker with. We had a lot of fun and I miss it. I was hoping I could have a little fun with this to make the games more interesting like then. I didn't do basketball because that is for me to remember my time with Dad. I love the old style of hockey and look forward to the playoff type hockey not the sissy game they want them to play during the regular season. Lets have a little fun!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Johnny S

I don't think anyone is protected by anything these days, if they make a mistake or screw up the world will know instantly. Players used to be protected by the press but now they have an army trying to dig anything up. I miss the old days of hockey so much, growing up in the Gretzky years was the greatest thing next to the 1980 miracle on ice. All my Hockey glory was shattered the day the North Stars left Minnesota and it hasn't been the same for me since.
I think a big problem today is the complete saturation of everything. So many channels, so many choices, so little time. I know Hockey Night in Canada used to be a weekly holiday but now days every night is Hockey Night, it's nice but takes away the specialty of making the playoffs so you would get to see every game and it meant so much. Atleast we have the memories, I know every generation always says when they grew up times were much simpler, I hate to think how much more complex things could get than they are now......
Old 03-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Jim D

i wasnt trying to argue or anything, just stating what i thought.

I dont watch alot of hockey anymore either.... growing up in Edmonton and getting to go to Oiler games during the hay day, seeing 3 Stanleys won live in person, i was spoiled. Grant Fuhr was my idol, he had signed all of my goalie equipment back then.

I lost alot of interest in hockey when it became all about the "business" then the game. I wish they would drop about 6 or 8 teams from the league.

I still do watch occasionally, but for me, its not the same anymore. I do watch playoff hockey as it tends to be more intense, more about the game then the stats. The olympics was great hockey to watch... The olympics were about the game, not about money!

About Sydney, Id take Ovechkin any day over Crosby! But Crosby takes more abuse then any other player inthe league.

I wouldnt have normally watched the Pens-Wings game but it was on early here and the only other thing on tv ws religious programs. It turned out to be a good intense game.

I guess the point i was trying to make is , i can watch a game like that without bias because i dont cheer for either team.... When you cheer for a certain team, you tend to be a little bias....

Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Jim D

I am canadian and id prefer to watch NFL or the UFC anyday over the NHL...

stating that in this country is like calling your own momma vulgar names!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Johnny S

Fuhr was great !! I met him and most of the Oilers after a Northstars game in the early 80's, what a team the Oilers had, 2nd to none !! I have to say that Crosby has more than lived up to the hype, when he first came out and they said he was the next great one I just laughed it off but not laughing anymore the kid is good !!
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Patrick N.

Default Ridiculous thread

nevermind

Last edited by mintacular; 03-25-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Patrick N.

Default Consider this

Babcock praises Crosby

Mike Babcock of Detroit coached Penguins center Sidney Crosby at the Olympics in Vancouver and watched him score an overtime goal for Canada in the gold-medal game.

Of course, he also saw Crosby captain the Penguins to a Stanley Cup victory against the Red Wings last spring, so Babcock has decidedly mixed feelings about Crosby.

"I had a pretty good appreciation for him when we played against him over the last few years," Babcock said. "I had a pretty good understanding of what he can do.

"The big thing, when you're around him, is you see how competitive he is, how bad he wants to be good. I think that's [true of] all the great players. People talk about talent all the time, but to me it's about soul, about how bad you want to be special.

"There are lots of talented players in the game, but the real superstars have something that drives them. And he obviously has that."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10082...#ixzz0jA73Bn84
Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Superstars have a drive to be the best and Crosby has the talent to be the best but that drive can't be used to hurt someone. It is the league's duty to control that and they don't. This special treatment is why so many star are getting in the mess they are away from the game. What has happen to the rules being the same for everyone on the ice, field or court. Sports are a big business and they are trying to control games so the teams and players that can make them the most money go to the playoffs. Watch LaBron run a player over and that player is called for a foul. That player touches him on the other end and he is called for the foul. I am not trying to pick on any star it is the same for all stars from all pro teams. This greed has taken the game away from our kids. You need a program to know who is on your home team because your favorite players left for more money. A young boy saves his money to buy an autographed team shirt of his favorite superstar only to see him playing for the team he hates the most. I hope for the kids sake that LaBron stays in Cleveland so they can keep there star even if it hurt Detroit's chances for there future playoffs. The kids are more important then the game.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Patrick N.

Default ovechkin

Crosby has the talent to be the best but that drive can't be used to hurt someone. I just don't see where you get this from. You must be thinking of Ovechkin

Last edited by mintacular; 03-25-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Johnny S

Dynarl what if Crosby was on the Redwings ? I have a feeling you would think he is the greatest player in the world. I get it, I hate Kobe but do like Lebron, love KG !! But as far as being all about the money, I hear you but they were saying the same thing about Babe Ruth. And as far as the kids, I feel bad for a lot of them, not because of their role models but because of their pushy insane parents ruining the whole experience for them. It should be about the kids, and the kids having fun and learning sportsmanship, but like you said it's all about the money and in a way it has for a long time.
On a side note, the WCHA is the greatest Hockey division in the world. SCSU !!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Dynarl Broughman

If Crosby was a Redwing Gordy Howe, Steve Yzerman and Nick Lindstrom would teach him to be a better role model. When I watched the game at the end it showed the puck being shot to the other end as time ran out. Then they show Crosby cross checking Zetterburg in the chest. Burtuzzie and Howard grabed Crosby he turned away from Burt and went after Howard. Then they showed a replay showing Crosby cross checking Zetterburg three times in the back and then in the chest. If you didn't see the game you may not have seen the replay because they don't show that part now. That is why I said he is a dirty player. I don't get to watch Crosby very much so maybe I am judging him wrong. I was going by what I saw. As I said before they favor the stars and control the games to much so they can get who they want in the playoff to make the most money. The last hockey game I went to was the Grand Rapids Griffins in the ANL and the one before that was Western Michigan. I go across the state to see these games minor league and college games because it is better hockey. The players decide the game. I coached T ball and Little League baseball but wouldn't coach any higher because of parents and after a while I got out of that because the parents wanted a baby setter and would leave there kids off leave and I would have to wait for them to come and pick up there kids. I hope I get the chance to coach my Grandkids. Watching the kids run the wrong way and picking flowers in the outfield was kind of fun.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 03-26-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Michael S

First off, I like Crosby but I think he is protected or at least there is a double standard in the league. Being a huge Bruins fan, 3-4 weeks back, our best player Mark Savard was laid out by the Penguin goon and is out for the year and maybe part of next year. No suspension or fine for the goon.

I ask this, what would have happened if this was reversed? In other words, what if the Bruins goon put Crosby out indefinitely with a deliberate blow to the head? I am not sure the Bruins goon would be allowed back in the league.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Maybe the new rule they started yesterday about head shots will help. I believe if they would let them fight it would slow the cheap shots down like the old days. There were less players hurt in the fights and if they did it was minor and they controled the fights better. With the players watching each other they see more then the refs and it gave them a way to let off some of their steam.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Broughman View Post
Maybe the new rule they started yesterday about head shots will help. I believe if they would let them fight it would slow the cheap shots down like the old days. There were less players hurt in the fights and if they did it was minor and they controled the fights better. With the players watching each other they see more then the refs and it gave them a way to let off some of their steam.
You sound just like my Dad . And I happen to agree. Let them fight. Eliminate the 3rd man in rule although we don't need a return to bench clearing brawls or players going into the stands. However, that was fun to watch as a kid.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Your Dad must be a great guy!