NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 01-30-2015, 06:34 AM
pete ullman

Default Hernia...or pulled muscle?

Guys...slightly OT here...I was lifting weights last sunday...doing bicep curls with heavy weights...and I was "jerking" the weight up to do negatives. After my workout I noticed pain around my midsection that has gotten pretty bad.

My symptoms are as follows:

pain breathing lower rt lower abdomen/rt side

pain on movement

pain on pooping

pain w/coughing

Basically I have symptoms of a hernia...and/or a pulled abdominal muscle I suppose. No noticeable bulges.

It's a deep pain...like I can't tell if its back or front.

Surely some of you/us have experience with similar injuries.

Any help??
Old 01-30-2015, 08:02 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Peter, my finger isn't long enough to answer your question.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Barry Sloate

Maybe you should see a doctor. He would know better than we would.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Maybe you should see a doctor. He would know better than we would.
I usually wait a day or two and then make a decision. I have rarely gone to a doctor for that kind of injury but if it was bad and didn't go away I would. Sounds like it's probably a doctors appt to me, but probably just a bad strain. Good luck Pete..
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I had abdominal hernia surgery a year and a half ago. Had similar symptoms, but scans did not show obvious hernia. If there is no telltale bulge where muscle has torn, the doctors have to go in and look for it. My surgery was supposed to take 1/2 hour with 1-2 month recovery time. It took 3 hours and 1 year to fully recover. Unless it's an obvious tear (and the doc will know) avoid the surgery if possible. Just my opinion.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 AM
pete ullman

thanks guys...except Frank...this happened last monday and doesn't seem to be getting better...so I guess its off to urgent care later today!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Barry Sloate

I had hernia surgery about six years ago. My doctor said it was nothing surgery, and not to worry. But while he wasn't worrying, I was in a ton of pain from the incision. Try to avoid going under the knife if possible.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 AM
pete ullman

thx barry...a coworkers hubby just had double hernia surgery...he seems to be doing ok...hopefully you will not ever need that again. I'm pulling for a pulled muscle at this time!!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
thanks guys...except Frank...this happened last monday and doesn't seem to be getting better...so I guess its off to urgent care later today!
I think Frank is trying to say to you that it would be irresponsible of him to try to diagnose you on the internet.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:47 AM
pariah1107

Quote:
thx barry...a coworkers hubby just had double hernia surgery...he seems to be doing ok...hopefully you will not ever need that again. I'm pulling for a pulled muscle at this time!!!!
Pete, I am not a doctor but have suffered from two hernias; a double inguinal hernia and a sports hernia. The first was easy to diagnose as there was a bulge in my groin that appeared a few days after the injury occurred. The bulge was hardly noticeable at first, and would "disappear" after I laid down at night, but reappear during daily activities. The biggest problem was when I laid flat on my back, I did not have the strength to lift even one leg off the ground, without severe discomfort. This required surgery, the procedure was an hour and I walked out of the hospital 4-5 hours later. Granted I was 29; recovery took 6-8 weeks, and the Kevlar mesh and screws they insert took time to get used to. I have been trouble free since the surgery in 2001.

IMO the sports hernia was worse, it was located in the abdomen, caused a lot of pain, and symptoms that were more like a bowel obstruction. No bulge, but far more pain than the inguinal hernia, probably because it was located in the core. I'd immediately stop the heavy lifting if there are any questions, and you know the routine, if pain persists or is accompanied by nausea/fever (which should not occur with just a pulled muscle) consult a doctor.

Take care Pete.

Last edited by pariah1107; 01-30-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 PM
De@n Fl!ck

I think Frank is waiting for Pete's health insurance info, so he can get paid for the encounter.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:46 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think Frank is trying to say to you that it would be irresponsible of him to try to diagnose you on the internet.
Pete, Peter's right for Pete's sake.

I might add some general information was provided to Pete via PM free of charge.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Archive

As others have said, get it checked out. The sooner the better.

I've got some experience with hernias. They come with the territory from being a former competitive power lifter.

From what I've heard, they can be painful. I wouldn't know since none of mine ever bothered me.

Just because you don't have any noticeable bulges doesn't mean you don't have a hernia.

Bottom line, if you are in pain then something is wrong. Better to have your doctor tell you its a pulled muscle, then find out its a hernia later.

Take it easy and get it checked out.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 01-30-2015 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added mroe
Old 01-31-2015, 03:33 AM
pete ullman

Thank you guys for your concerns...and advice. I think I turned a corner yesterday...I started feeling better midday yesterday...I went to the gym and walked on the treadmill for a while last night...feel even better right now...I'm thinking this is a muscle thing and am going to wait it out a few more days.

I AM a man after all...and I hate going to the doctor!!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:41 AM
Dave

I've had a few bowel obstructions. Grown men do cry .
Old 02-04-2015, 09:03 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
I've had a few bowel obstructions. Grown men do cry .
Ouch!!!!! Turned out to be a pulled muscle...thx for the support!!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Dave

Quote:
Turned out to be a pulled muscle...thx for the support!!
Good to hear that.