NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default Non-vintage question

Posted By: RP60

Hi folks..I am a quiet member of this board. I do have a non-vintage question, however. I recently purchased a 2000 Mets press pin that the seller claims is a Balfour. I see no makers mark on it. Should it have one?

Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

My 2004 Red Sox Press Pin had no maker's mark (cost plenty!); my 2005 White Sox pin had a Balfour mark, as another seller of the pin, not mine, advertised (cost a lot less). I'd e-mail your seller. I don't think my '74 As pin has a mark, though my '55 Brooklyn Dodgers has Clust and Dieges.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Thanks Julie for the response..I did contact the seller and she claims her husband picked several of them up at the Series in 2000. How he was able to do that she did'nt say. She did offer a full refund to me, which was decent of her..Your 2004 Red Sox pin does not have a makers mark, did that not alarm you? I wonder if Balfour does all the Series pins? Most 'quality' pins do have a mark on the reverse..I wont loose contact with the seller and continue to research it. If I come up with one, from a seller that has a mark, I WILL be getting that refund...Thanks Pcelli60

Old 12-06-2005, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

www.recollectics.com

He'll know. I sold him a collection of 40-50 Press Pins........

Old 12-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Bob you are beautiful!! I went to the site and it's NOT the real McCoy!! The next 5 rounds are on me!!! I knew it had to have stamping on the back..I dont post much. But when I need a question answered- vintage or not- you people come through!!! YES

Old 12-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Of course I ment Tom and Julie too....

Old 12-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Administrator

and 1) My White Sox World Series has "Balfour" on it, because they made them YEARS ago, hoping to be in a world series.
2) my Red Sox World Series has nothing on the back, because Balfour sold out to someone else, who puts NOTHING on the back ,and they just got made last year.
3) My '89 As World Series Press Pin is not only speechless on the back, but cheap-because that's how THEY had them made...
4) My '72 As pin has a tiny diamond on the back, with a scratch in it, because it was made my--whoops..begions with a J--and that's THEIR symbol.
5) My '55 Brooklyn Dodgers World Series Press Pin says "Clust and Dieges"{ on the backl (in addition to 1955 and WORLD SERIES--because they were made that way.,

I'M CLEAN!

So what's the story on your pin? It should have "Balfour"?

Old 12-08-2005, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I sent the pin back to the seller yesterday because it did'nt have the Balfour stamping on the back..The seller was very good about this, although could'nt understand why the stamping ment SO much to me.
I found it interesting, and a little disturbing, that your Red Sox 2004 pin has no stamping on the reverse. All quality(higher cost) pins should have some kind of makers mark to distinguish it..
The design on the 2000 pin I sent back was Balfours. But I wonder if the new maker of these pins produced some without a mark?. Things can get confusing when Balfour produces pins well in advance, as in the case of that White Sox pin..
Oh well I am much happier and a little wiser for the whole experience..Thanks Folks Pcelli60

Old 12-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator

you'll see why the Red Sox pin has nothing on the back--that's the way the new owners of Balfour make them! The White Sox pin was made YEARS ago (there's no date on them!), because the Sox hoped to be in the Series--in other words, it used to be a phantom pin, and became a real one (teams do it all the time). It was made BEFORE the Red Sox pin by Balfour, and befroe Balfour sold out--and that's why it says Balfour.

Not all WS pins have stamps--the guy at Recollectics will tell you the whys and wherefores of all of them--pretty interesting.

Kinda interesting that my '55 Brooklyn Dodgers World Series Press Pin--doesn't say "Brooklyn" anyware, either!