NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Mark

Default Best auction house for selling large collection of sets?

My current collection contains complete sets from every year from 1950 to today.

I collect for my entrainment only and when I die that goes with me.

I have told my son to sell my collection as quickly and easily as he can and waste that money on something he'll remember for the rest of his life.

I'm leaving him with instructions on several ways to dispose of the collection including putting it on ebay, post on this board, sell to a trusted dealer.

One thing I haven't suggested is an auction house since I know so little about them

Can you give me the pros and cons of some of the auction series such as

Clean Sweep
PWCC
REA
HERITAGE
any others I'm not remembering

Thanks
Old 10-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I can't speak for any of the auction houses, but I hope you are going to be with us a very, very long time. It's always smart to plan and make " arrangements " before hand, however I hope there isn't anything that's moving you in this direction other than prudent planning.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Chris

I would advise against giving specific instructions on which auction house as who knows what the reputation of any particular one will be that far in the future. My recommendation is to refer your son to this board and have him solicit advice when it is needed.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Al Richter

Default Cards

If it is your intent that your son sell your cards and keep the funds associated with such sale for his own use be sure that is consistent with the terms of your will and your estate plan. They will be an asset in your estate and your executor may be bound by the terms of your estate plan. If you do not have a will, laws in your state may still dictate how your major assets are to be distributed.

Many auction houses and dealers have cut off dates for material they will handle, maybe 1975, maybe 1980, maybe something else. So you may need separate venues for parts of the collection

I have provided my executor and wife with the names of people in the hobby who I know and trust to give them advice on possible avenues for disposing of my cards.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:29 PM
je.sse @rnot

A collection like this seems like it's right up sean bassik's alley. It would probably save a lot of time and hassle over sending all of those sets to an auction house.