NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Al Richter

Default 1968 Milton Bradley

Anyone collect the baseball subset of these ? The SCD checklist has 131. Someone on CU mentioned that sheets usually had 132 cards and speculated there may have been an instruction card on the sheet for the game. Can anyone verify such a card ?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 PM

I started a thread on these awhile back. I'm still not convinced you can say for sure whether a card is from the Milton Bradley set. Their backs are supposed to be lighter, but I have several regular 68 Topps cards of players that aren't in the Milton Bradley set that are just as light as the Milton Bradley cards. So I just don't see how you can tell whether a card is from the Milton Bradley set or from a light-backed print run, unless you actually pulled it out of a Milton Bradley game.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Al Richter

Default MBs

Paul---I understand what you are saying. I also have seen cards with different backs being sold as MBs that are not in the SCD checklist. I think PSA grades MBs now but I am not a graded collector, so I just look for MBs that are in the checklist ( I mentioned 131 above but that is the number of all the game cards, I think there are only 76 baseball cards).

I think I have all but 10 of the commons but as you point out, I guess there is no way to be sure but by buying an unopened game set. But one of those went for around $ 5 K some time back
Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Default 1969 Milton Bradley Win A Card Checklist

According to a Heritage Auction Galleries listing, there are 76 1968 Topps Baseball Cards, 33 1967 Topps Football Cards, 22 1965 Topps Hot Rod Cards, and one instruction card. Unfortunately, no picture of the instruction card. I have been trying for a while to get the five Cubs in the set, and while I have been able to find multiple copies of Hartenstein, Hundley, Savage, and Stoneman, I can't find any of #60 Ken Holtzman. The only one I have ever seen was in an auction for a complete box set that was opened up.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, since the sets are boxed and known it is clear that any card not in the boxed set isn't an MB card, but Topps definitely used the MB-type card stock for some regular cards. I have a 1968 White Sox team card that is the same stock as an MB card I have. When the two are placed side by side with other 1968s they stick out. Perhaps there should be a premium or other differentiation as to these MB stock cards, like the 1954 or 1956 stock variations?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Anyone looking for a boxed set?

I have a complete boxed set with cards still sealed in plastic in original tray. $5k delivered. PM me for photos if interested. Thanks.

-Howard
Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, since the sets are boxed and known it is clear that any card not in the boxed set isn't an MB card, but Topps definitely used the MB-type card stock for some regular cards. I have a 1968 White Sox team card that is the same stock as an MB card I have. When the two are placed side by side with other 1968s they stick out. Perhaps there should be a premium or other differentiation as to these MB stock cards, like the 1954 or 1956 stock variations?
Good point. I wonder if all cards exist that way or just some sheets. Also, what does sun/light exposure do to the backs / Are the stocks a lot different ?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Al Richter

Default game set

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I have a complete boxed set with cards still sealed in plastic in original tray. $5k delivered. PM me for photos if interested. Thanks.

-Howard
I will settle for completing the baseball set...need about 10 still. Did you get yours in the Heritage auction ?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Howard Chasser

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I will settle for completing the baseball set...need about 10 still. Did you get yours in the Heritage auction ?
Huggins and Scott
Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Good point. I wonder if all cards exist that way or just some sheets. Also, what does sun/light exposure do to the backs / Are the stocks a lot different ?
To me, normal 1968 stock looks creamy in the unprinted areas and school bus yellow in the yellow areas. The pseudo-MB card I have is really white in the plain areas and lemon yellow in the others. That's the best I can describe it. I will try to remember to pull the MB card, the other card and a regular card and scan all three side by side.

Or not...
Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Doesn't help but I love this pic:

Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
To me, normal 1968 stock looks creamy in the unprinted areas and school bus yellow in the yellow areas. The pseudo-MB card I have is really white in the plain areas and lemon yellow in the others. That's the best I can describe it. I will try to remember to pull the MB card, the other card and a regular card and scan all three side by side.
That stock difference exists for at least 1968 till the change to gray stock in 1971. I haven't had enough cards from those years to go through to get an idea if either is harder to find or if it's all series. It may go back before 1968, but I'm not certain of that right now.

Steve B
Old 01-05-2011, 06:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The WS team and the Oliver are printed on the same stock. The Hodges are regular stock and OPC, for comparison.

Or not...