NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-26-2014, 07:13 PM

Default A health update

Many of you know my health problems of the past few years, lymphoma lymphoma, bone marrow transplant, gall bladder removal, Hepatitis B. It reads like a who's who of what not to have happen to you. But I got through it, I had been feeling great and was loving life.

I started having some problems with my kidneys in the last couple of weeks. Monday my kidneys gave out permanently. My doctor told me to go to the ER immediately but I refused. That day was my Mom's 80th birthday and we were having a party for her and there was no way I was missing that. If you met my mom (Maxine) at the National, Brimfield or Atlantique City you would understand, but I guess that should be standard course for any mom. The party was pretty incredible and my mom loved it. We all did. I'll be posting some photos and stuff on my Facebook page in a few days.

I am writing this hooked up to a dialysis machine at the hospital. The good news is that I will leave a normal life (as normal as you could say my life is). I already feel 10 times better after one full treatment. I will be getting a Peritoneal unit in a month or two and will be sale to do my treatments at home while I sleep. The machine is the size of a briefcase and I can take it on the road with me. I am not cutting bak on my show schedule,. I am not relinquishing any of my duties at Lelands. I love what I do and I have no desire to do anything else. I am one of the luckiest people in the world to be able to do what I love most with the people I love day in and day out, year after year. This hobby has been great to me and I appreciate all of you being a part of my life.

My sister Andrea has pledged to give me one of her kidneys and we are now just starting to look into transplant. With that I will be like new. My doctors are amazing and the support of my family friends and especially the people at the firm is tremendous.

I am telling you a lot of these medical details because there are a lot of misconceptions out there about this disease. I went in scared because I thought this would affect my life expectancy and I would end up having to go to some shady place to buy a black market kidney to survive or I would be stuck to a machine for the rest of my now shortened life. None of this is true.

Boy, would that suck because there are so many pieces I am still looking to find, people I have not yet met and places I still want to see. I have had an incredible life, a blessed life, filled with excitement and intensity and joy and pain and so much love. I'm going to be around a while and plan on giving you all a run for your money doing what we love to do. Life is sweet.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Rick P

Sounds like you've got things well in hand, Josh. With that positive attitude and the support of your many friends and family, I'm confident you'll be entertaining us with your outstanding auctions and hobby tales for years to come. And a special nod to your sister for her amazing demonstration of love. You're in good hands, my friend. Thanks for sharing this information with us, and happy birthday to your mom!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:47 PM

Default Health

Josh, I hope the best for you and pray that you will be healed
Old 09-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Good luck Josh...all the best.

Jeff
Old 09-26-2014, 08:22 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Josh,
Sorry to hear about your health issues.
Good luck with your treatments. I hope your sister is a viable match for you.
Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Mikeknapp

Josh, last year a close friend of mine underwent the same treatment program. At 48 suffered a stroke and both kidneys failed him. He was a minor league player for 7 years and then major league scout for 20 more. He could no longer handle the rigors of travel and despite his passion for his job he had to walk away from the life he loved. He remained positive and was never angry about his plight. I was moved by his strength and honored by his friendship.

The following month my 20 year old daughter was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive bone cancer. She faced 171 days of inpatient chemo and had the middle third of her leg surgically removed and replaced by metal and an artificial joint. She suffered with brutal mouth sores, total hair loss, a heart catheter, and a serious infection secondary to a bug bite that resulted in a 5 day inpatient stay in the cardiac critical care unit. She was an absolute warrior. Her strength courage and positive attitude were inspiring. I have never been more impressed or proud of her. I raised my children with the message that any fool can shine when the sun is out. Those who can do it at life's darkest hour are special. My little girl faced death and shined like a super nova. She never cried, or said how unfair life was. I cannot begin to say how proud I am to be her father.

The reason I am sharing this with you is because I want you to know that you are correct life is beautiful and precious. Hope, love, prayer and a positive attitude will get you through this nightmare. My daughter won her battle with cancer and is back to work and is radiant as ever. My friend got a new kidney and is doing great in his new career and very much in love with his new wife. Tell your sister she is wonderful and heroic. The world needs more people like her.

Shine on Josh!

Mike

Last edited by 71buc; 09-27-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Mike

Hang tough Josh.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Good luck, and keep up that positive attitude!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:48 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

A positive attitude and outlook does wonders at tough times like these! I think you already know this Thoughts and prayers are headed your way.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Richard Simon

Josh - you and I go so far back I do not want to count the years .
Hang tough, you will come through this.

Rich
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Mike Steiner

Josh - sounds like your attitude is much better than guys who have no health problems at all. Hang in there and good luck.

https://whitesoxshorts.com/
Old 09-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Hi Josh,

When you recently said you were "on the blink" I was very worried.

So glad to hear you are doing better and have such a positive outlook.

Congratulations to you and to your Mom!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Prayers your way!

Hope you are well soon - with that attitude, you are home already!