NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Mike

Default 1968 Milton Bradley Win A Card Game

Could someone post the backs of a 1968 Topps Card and a 1968 Milton Bradley Win-A-Card Game Card next to each other so I can see the difference. ? Thanks
Old 01-03-2018, 07:37 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hundley mb.jpg (83.3 KB, 307 views)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

The cartoon was a little off on the season!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 01-04-2018, 07:41 AM
Al Richter

There have been a couple of good threads on the MB set and it's cards in this forum.

And we have a resident expert in Carlton, goheels

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-04-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:52 AM
Mike

Thanks for the photo post. I must be a little color blind cause I don't see much difference. Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Thanks for the photo post. I must be a little color blind cause I don't see much difference. Thanks again.
Don't feel bad. The Milton Bradley vs Topps cards fool A LOT of people.....and that's with the cards staring them in the face.....
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
There’s definitely a color difference when you have them in hand.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Al Richter

Further complicated by the fact that there are color differences in the regular Topps backs, and the latter series have backs more similar to the MB backs, which results in some sellers erroneously or deceptively selling some later series Topps cards, including the Mantle, as MBs.

Agree with Mark that if you have the MB known checklist and have the cards in hand, the differences are evident. Best to buy them in person or from reliable and knowledgeable seller.

By the way, the Cox and and Brinkman yellow team variations listed for the regular set are actually just MB cards.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-04-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:14 AM

The first Hundley is a Milton Bradley that is brilliant yellow, the second Hundley is a Milton Bradley that is drab yellow, and the third Hundley is a Topps that is a first series gold color. Some of the Milton Bradley cards are a brilliant yellow that are easy to tell, and some are a drab yellow that you have to compare side by side with a Topps card to tell the difference. The front of the drab yellow MB Hundley has the white edge of a 1967 MB Football card to prove that it is an MB, the front of the brilliant yellow MB Hundley is well centered so that there is no white edge of a 1967 MB Football card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hundley mb b.jpg (85.6 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg hundley mb f.jpg (76.2 KB, 250 views)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Correction, the bottom white edge of the Hundley is the top of a Hot Rods card, not a 1967 Football card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968-Topps-MB-SheetWEB.jpg (65.1 KB, 251 views)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 AM

Here's a 1968 MB Holtzman with an extremely bright yellow back that should be easy to tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holtzman MB B.jpg (82.2 KB, 205 views)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Further complicated by the fact that there are color differences in the regular Topps backs, and the latter series have backs more similar to the MB backs, which results in some sellers erroneously or deceptively selling some later series Topps cards, including the Mantle, as MBs.
Not only do some sellers have a problem telling apart which 68s are MBs and which are not, professional grading companies also seem to not be able to tell. I wonder how many more of the 68 Topps/MB Pete Rose cards are out in circulation besides the one the PSA labeled (obviously mistakenly) as a MB card.

https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball...-bradley/95017
Old 01-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Al Richter

Which is the point Robert made above. Sometimes it even happens with a Ryan
Old 01-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Ryan Waggoner

What's the story with these MB cards? This is the first I've heard of it.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:08 PM
Larry More.y

Here is the most informative article written on the subject:

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...n-bradley-set/
Old 01-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Correction, the bottom white edge of the Hundley is the top of a Hot Rods card, not a 1967 Football card.
NICE SHEET! Don't recall ever seeing that before. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-04-2018, 03:48 PM

I wish, I found the image on Google. I believe it's a virtual sheet that was compiled by an expert on 1968 Milton Bradley cards through extensive research.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:34 PM

I saw a rerun of Pawn Stars where someone brought in the entire game. The biggest cards he had were Gaylord Perry, Brooks Robinson, and Joe Namath.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:54 PM
Greg C

Default Shore strip on MB boarders

Anyone know if the top row cards on the sheet ever have a white strip or are they immune?
Old 01-05-2018, 04:38 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Which is the point Robert made above. Sometimes it even happens with a Ryan
The Ryan is easy....just look for the white stripe.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:45 AM
Robert Williams

Here is a Milton Bradley Nolan Ryan card graded incorrectly, this time by SGC. Notice the white line on the bottom border of a card. Yep, that's a Milton Bradley.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:14 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Here is the most informative article written on the subject:

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...n-bradley-set/
The author, Carlton ( goheels), posts here occasionally. I think he is the one who developed the virtual sheet. He has several sets and several of the complete games. The games themselves come up on eBay and in auctions from time to time, but hardly ever with "unopened" cards
Old 01-05-2018, 08:32 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
The author, Carlton ( goheels), posts here occasionally. I think he is the one who developed the virtual sheet. He has several sets and several of the complete games. The games themselves come up on eBay and in auctions from time to time, but hardly ever with "unopened" cards
I have known (online) Carlton for years and he has always been very generous with both his time and knowledge of not only MB cards but the slew of other variations we all still frequently discuss ....he not only referred me to net54, but helped me to understand the intricacies of the Win a Card game. I am thankful for learning about both. He was also nice enough to forward me his article on the MBs to read before publication.

I know he has sold some of his MBs sets off over the years, but I would speculate he may still own more MB cards than anyone else as he has been collecting these cards/games for years.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 AM
J Kar_aka$

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
Anyone know if the top row cards on the sheet ever have a white strip or are they immune?
The top row of baseball will never have a white border. Definitely the toughest to locate unless in hand.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:29 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Any way to get a pick of the sheet blown up to a bigger size?

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 01-05-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Al Richter

Larry-- am in full agreement with you about Carlton. A credit to the hobby
Old 01-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Any way to get a pick of the sheet blown up to a bigger size?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968-Topps-MB-SheetWEBd.jpg (84.6 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 01-06-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand19 View Post
The top row of baseball will never have a white border. Definitely the toughest to locate unless in hand.
Want to make sure I understand this correctly: by top row I assume you are referring to the row that starts with Jim Merritt and Tom Seaver (Sheet in post #27)? If my assumption is correct, isn't it possible that these could have a white top border depending on the card being OC top to bottom?
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 01-06-2018, 12:28 AM
J Kar_aka$

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
Want to make sure I understand this correctly: by top row I assume you are referring to the row that starts with Jim Merritt and Tom Seaver (Sheet in post #27)? If my assumption is correct, isn't it possible that these could have a white top border depending on the card being OC top to bottom?
Yes I’m referring to the Merritt row. I’ve had approximately 1500 of these cards over the years and have yet to see it. The white border would definitely not be from one of the FB. From the top of the sheet...maybe. I’d have to defer to Carlton on that one. If that were the case, it would definitely be a miscut. A mere top to bottom OC wouldn’t reveal a border.

Last edited by kickstand19; 01-06-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:53 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Yes I’m referring to the Merritt row. I’ve had approximately 1500 of these cards over the years and have yet to see it. The white border would definitely not be from one of the FB. From the top of the sheet...maybe. I’d have to defer to Carlton on that one. If that were the case, it would definitely be a miscut. A mere top to bottom OC wouldn’t reveal a border.
Hi Jared, wouldn't you think there would have to be some chance that there could be some with a top white border based on where the card exists on the MB sheet, unless the burlap goes far beyond what I'll call the normal cut line for the cards? Here is a regular sheet from 1968, there is at least some white outside the burlap on all sides. Since we don't have an uncut MB sheet we may never know for sure. It's really hard to see on this sheet how much if any white is above the burlap on the top row cards.

I'd love to have a definitive answer as I try to use possible white border's on MB's vs. regular issue to verify MB's when searching on line as its very difficult to tell by color alone due to the inconsistency of scanner settings. If I'm off on Merritt, I'm off on at least 10 others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68series2.jpg (79.5 KB, 119 views)
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty

Last edited by brob28; 01-06-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 AM
J Kar_aka$

Quote:
Hi Jared, wouldn't you think there would have to be some chance that there could be some with a top white border based on where the card exists on the MB sheet, unless the burlap goes far beyond what I'll call the normal cut line for the cards? Here is a regular sheet from 1968, there is at least some white outside the burlap on all sides. Since we don't have an uncut MB sheet we may never know for sure. It's really hard to see on this sheet how much if any white is above the burlap on the top row cards.

I'd love to have a definitive answer as I try to use possible white border's on MB's vs. regular issue to verify MB's when searching on line as its very difficult to tell by color alone due to the inconsistency of scanner settings. If I'm off on Merritt, I'm off on at least 10 others.
I can only speak from experience, and I’ve yet to see a top white border for the Merritt row. If it does exist it would have to be pretty far up. If you see one definitely pick it up. The best way to find the cards without borders is to compare back scans from the same seller. Good chance they have other non MB 68 listings and use the same scanner settings. If possible, just compare cards from the first two series so the back color stays consistent.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Unless I'm looking at it wrong, it appears that the Aaron is the only Braves card in the bunch, correct?
Old 01-06-2018, 12:51 PM
J Kar_aka$

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Unless I'm looking at it wrong, it appears that the Aaron is the only Braves card in the bunch, correct?
Yep... the only one
Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 PM

Default Top edge on MB sheet

Quote:
I can only speak from experience, and I’ve yet to see a top white border for the Merritt row. If it does exist it would have to be pretty far up. If you see one definitely pick it up. The best way to find the cards without borders is to compare back scans from the same seller. Good chance they have other non MB 68 listings and use the same scanner settings. If possible, just compare cards from the first two series so the back color stays consistent.
Hi Jared,

I just looked at most of my MBs from the top row of the sheet and I found one card that is miscut enough to show a lot of the top edge of the card. It does have the white line from the top of gutter edge of the sheet. Please see below. I added three non-MB cards to show that this #108 Pavletich card is indeed an MB. I found that most of the cards in the top row, if miscut, are usually showing more of the bottom edge of the card. I have gone through over 200 MB cards from the top row and I only found this one card miscut in this way. This is probably the result of the settings on the sheet cutting machine for this issue. By chance I just have this card produced during a cut when the settings were tweaked.

Also, it seems that the MB sheet has the white gutter edge on all four sides. It will be tough to determine for sure if the bottom edge had an intentional gutter because the cards in that row are white bordered. Maybe the white border and the white gutter are different shades of white? I haven't looked at that.

Jared, your tip of reviewing a seller’s other 1968 auctions to see if different cards' back colors vary to help determine MB vs. regular issue is great. I think that the research makes collecting MBs fun.

Ryan, regarding Braves included in the set; Phil Niekro is on a leaders card in the second row. Maybe you aren't looking for leaders cards.

I have a lot of these MBs cards (mostly baseball), three full games and multiple sets, so if you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. Hopefully I can find the answer for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (80.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (88.7 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by horzverti; 01-06-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Interesting, so we now know these can exist, but between you and Jarred at one in approximately 1,700 they don't happen often. I also, agree, these conversations are what keep the hobby interesting.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Hi Jared,

I just looked at most of my MBs from the top row of the sheet and I found one card that is miscut enough to show a lot of the top edge of the card. It does have the white line from the top of gutter edge of the sheet. Please see below. I added three non-MB cards to show that this #108 Pavletich card is indeed an MB. I found that most of the cards in the top row, if miscut, are usually showing more of the bottom edge of the card. I have gone through over 200 MB cards from the top row and I only found this one card miscut in this way. This is probably the result of the settings on the sheet cutting machine for this issue. By chance I just have this card produced during a cut when the settings were tweaked.

Also, it seems that the MB sheet has the white gutter edge on all four sides. It will be tough to determine for sure if the bottom edge had an intentional gutter because the cards in that row are white bordered. Maybe the white border and the white gutter are different shades of white? I haven't looked at that.

Jared, your tip of reviewing a sellers other 1968 auctions to see if different cards' back colors vary to help determine MB vs. regular issue is great. I think that the research makes collecting MBs fun.

Ryan, regarding Braves included in the set; Phil Niekro is on a leaders card in the second row. Maybe you aren't looking for leaders cards.

I have a lot of these MBs cards (mostly baseball), three full games and multiple sets, so if you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. Hopefully I can find the answer for you.
Very interesting about the 108 card having the top white border. It appears that this card, when compared to the others in your scan, measures longer t/b. Perhaps this card being oversized is the reason for the white border appearing along the top edge. While looking through my top row cards, and not finding any with any white border, I wondered about the cards that are along the sides having any white border.

I did find a copy of the #7 card that is almost as OC as the 108 card, but shows no white border. So either there is more burlap along the side edges, or as this card is regular sized, it does not show any white border. Does anyone else have an edge card with a white border?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (78.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (78.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Interesting, so we now know these can exist, but between you and Jarred at one in approximately 1,700 they don't happen often. I also, agree, these conversations are what keep the hobby interesting.
Yeah, I really like this type of stuff regarding cards...especially the great Milton Bradley versions.

I think Jared meant that he has (had) 1500 MBs total over time. Maybe he has 1500 from the top row? That would be huge! He does know a lot about identifying and collecting MBs. Great person to deal with too.

I would also like to thank Carlton again for putting in the research and creating the MB sheet mock up. The sheet has helped me so much with purchasing MBs and in my own research. Super information!

Yep, love this set!
Old 01-06-2018, 02:32 PM
J Kar_aka$

Quote:
Hi Jared,

Jared, your tip of reviewing a sellers other 1968 auctions to see if different cards' back colors vary to help determine MB vs. regular issue is great. I think that the research makes collecting MBs fun.

Thanks for posting the Pavletich MB, that’s interesting. Out of all the examples I had, I’ve never seen that. Very cool Curt.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:57 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I don't have any in my group
Old 01-06-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else have an edge card with a white border?
Found this one on WorthPoint.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I found a few from the left edge of the sheet that show the white area. I also have a few Ryans with white on the left edge (actually the top of the card when oriented landscape). I will try to crop the Ryan photo and post here later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (82.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 004 - Copy.jpg (77.3 KB, 133 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I could only find one card from the right edge of the sheet that shows some of the white gutter area. At least, I think it shows a white line. The card has seen better days and has some dirt on it, so the white area may be just a whiter gap in the burlap pattern. I did notice that the miscut cards from the right edge seem to have a wider stretch of burlap than the cards on the left edge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003 - Copy.jpg (79.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (74.0 KB, 133 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
I could only find one card from the right edge of the sheet that shows some of the white gutter area. At least, I think it shows a white line. The card has seen better days and has some dirt on it, so the white area may be just a whiter gap in the burlap pattern. I did notice that the miscut cards from the right edge seem to have a wider stretch of burlap than the cards on the left edge.
Nice finds on the left edge cards with the white on the edge.....I agree that the miscut cards from the right edge have a wider stretch of burlap than the left edge cards. It is tough to tell on the Carew if there is any white on the right edge based on how far over the burlap goes on the bottom right edge of the card.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Here are some Ryans from the left egde of the sheet which are showing the white line. Sorry for the fuzzy, zoomed pics. I had to crop from a larger image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 446465.jpg (19.0 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 446466.jpg (14.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 446467.jpg (9.7 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 PM

I think I may have a problem with MB Ryans and the problem has gotten worse since I took this picture. Can anyone pick out the non-MB?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MB Ryans.jpg (81.2 KB, 136 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default Wow! Yikes!

Quote:
I think I may have a problem with MB Ryans and the problem has gotten worse since I took this picture. Can anyone pick out the non-MB?
Wow! Yikes!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
You appear to have an exceedingly unfortunate problem, especially if it has gotten worse?!?....do you have any other "problems" that are drool worthy?