NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Default JimStinson

Phone numbers are
1-800-HELP-NOW
1-800-435-7669
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 PM

Default JimStinson

please keep in mind that is the job of any forger to make the signatures MATCH , its easy to do , for a good authenticator the signature itself (in most cases) is the LAST thing he looks at
Old 12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Michael

Jim,

This is all quite interesting. Thanks for sharing your insights. I just want to make sure that I understand what you are saying:

There are 3 examples of Joss' signature:

1) The one used in Ron's new book from Nap Lajoie's autograph album

2) The postcard recently auctioned at Old Judge and authenticated by Kevin Keating. Lew Lipset sent me the COA, which I posted on Net54 on this thread.

3) A third for which you have seen a photocopy of a legal document reported to have been obtained from his widow with writing that appears to match the other two.

Did I get that right?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Well ....Yes and No, He and I mildly disagree at present as to the authenticity of all three of what I would consider "knowns"...legit signatures of Joss. The example I cite from the widow might not even exist anymore as it appears to be an old style xerox , so she might have just sent out the copy and not the original. Or maybe only had a copy herself.

Then you add the intangibles of the signature variations , and rarity which would (I hope) make anyone who trys to authenticate an Addie Joss signature be looking at more than just "slant, formation, pen pressure etc etc, blah blah" and be instead looking for ROCK SOLID provenance and the ability to back track what? Almost 100 years to practically "put the pen in his hand" Anything less would be negligent considering what his signature would sell for either via auction or outright sale.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael3322 View Post
Jim,

This is all quite interesting. Thanks for sharing your insights. I just want to make sure that I understand what you are saying:

There are 3 examples of Joss' signature:

1) The one used in Ron's new book from Nap Lajoie's autograph album

2) The postcard recently auctioned at Old Judge and authenticated by Kevin Keating. Lew Lipset sent me the COA, which I posted on Net54 on this thread.

3) A third for which you have seen a photocopy of a legal document reported to have been obtained from his widow with writing that appears to match the other two.

Did I get that right?

Thanks.
Correct (Kinda), The postcard authenticated by Kevin Keating matches exactly the sample from the legal document obtained from the widow. I believe both are genuine known examples. Both of those are slightly different from the example in Ron K's book (the one from the Lajoie album) which I also believe is authentic. Although carries some variation from the first two mentioned above.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM

Default JimStinson

Also for clarification I don't think Kevin was authenticating or the auction was representing the notation at the top of the postcard (Joss, Adrian left standing) which likely is in a seperate hand and written later. The rest of the card in my opinion is dead on correct
Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Can someone post or email me a Dan Brouthers auto from the book ? thanks Mike
Why don’t you support Ron for all the hard work he put into the project and buy the book, rather than asking for someone to send you a scan from a book they themselves invested in and purchased. I highly recommend you just purchase the book. It’s an extremely valuable reference and tool for a collector, and easily worth the $49.95 from Amazon. IMO it’s one thing to ask for the opinions from board members or ask to see examples from their collection even, but it’s another to ask someone who purchased the book to help you out just so you don’t have to make the same investment.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Default I bought this and am more than happy!

Are there other books like this out on the market, with more examples maybe?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Sports Collectors Digest had a similar book out about 15? years ago. I thought it was pretty good, but based on Ron's book-the author still got duped on some toughies, like Rube. Here is the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Autog.../dp/0873411692
Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Pretty sure Keating wrote a book similar to this but focused exclusively on Negro Leaguers.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Pretty sure Keating wrote a book similar to this but focused exclusively on Negro Leaguers.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Negro-Leag.../dp/093062551X
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

I dropped $50 on the book. I'm not impressed at all. If you need help figuring out if a signature is real or not, the book doesnt really help. I was shocked what he left out by Mantle.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
I dropped $50 on the book. I'm not impressed at all. If you need help figuring out if a signature is real or not, the book doesnt really help. I was shocked what he left out by Mantle.
What were you expecting, letter by letter break down of every autograph? The book does a great job informing the collector and not giving any valuable information to the forger.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
What were you expecting, letter by letter break down of every autograph? The book does a great job informing the collector and not giving any valuable information to the forger.
I highly doubt Ron was worried about "giving valuable information to the forger". A book on authenticating autographs should be what it's supposed to be. Complete.

Last edited by joed25; 12-05-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Charles

Is there exemplars of every HOF signature? What is the format of the book?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Ask yourself this...is there another book out that has this much depth? No. The book is great for what it is. Why spend so much time on Mantle when there are 299 other HOF'ers out there to cover. You can find Mantle info anywhere. Most collectors looking at this book are out for the info not easily accessible.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Ask yourself this...is there another book out that has this much depth? No. The book is great for what it is. Why spend so much time on Mantle when there are 299 other HOF'ers out there to cover. You can find Mantle info anywhere. Most collectors looking at this book are out for the info not easily accessible.
Mantle was just an example with a number of points he could have mentioned to tell if it's real or not. Like he says with the Jonny Mize in the beginning of the book with the "I". There are many more names that I felt he did not do justice to. I got the feeling that many of the entries were sort of recycled. Many of the famous indicators you know about the common Hall of Famers like Mantle, DiMaggio... He surprisingly does not mention. I would also do color pictures for a $50 book. I enjoyed reading it. I love reading anything about the hobby. I was just dissapointed as it did not meet my expectations.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
Instead of complaining, why not help the poor guy out and give him a Mantle tutorial? I'm sure he could use your help.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 AM

Default JimStinson

The real "meat and potatoes" was in the begining of the book , basically how to "Buy smart" , do's and don'ts.
In order to cover all the bases on individual examples and signature analysis the book would have to be a thirty volume set.
By the way the book has been on the #1 best seller list on Amazon books in the memorabilia and collectibles catagory for going on 6 days.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Instead of complaining, why not help the poor guy out and give him a Mantle tutorial? I'm sure he could use your help.
I don't think JoeD is saying that the dude doesn't know stuff about Mantle's autograph and how to determine it's authenticity. I think he's saying that the dude didn't do a very thorough job explaining what he knows in his $50 book.

I'll bet your heart skipped a beat when you thought you'd found some way to be a jerk to someone on the boards that knows less than you.

Nice job.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
I don't think JoeD is saying that the dude doesn't know stuff about Mantle's autograph and how to determine it's authenticity. I think he's saying that the dude didn't do a very thorough job explaining what he knows in his $50 book.

I'll bet your heart skipped a beat when you thought you'd found some way to be a jerk to someone on the boards that knows less than you.

Nice job.
Heart????
Old 12-08-2012, 10:32 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
thanks for the link. got a used one for $4.25 shipped! need to get caught up on my negro league knowledge.