NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Dave Johnson

Default No longer just thinking, Am going to sell the collection

Hello Fellow Collectors!

I am sending you this open letter as you are a person that have bought, sold, traded or conversed with over the years on the topic of golf cards.

I have endured a couple of bouts with cancer over the past 5 years, and collecting has been something that has helped me get through it. I have enjoyed passing my knowledge about golf cards along as there are a number of folks that got me educated on the hobby along the way. With all of that said, I am at a point that while I enjoy collecting, I am realizing that I enjoy the chase more than the cards themselves….keeping that in mind, I have decided to part with my collection.

Today I took the time to list some baseball cards on both the PSA and NET 54 Message boards and basically have them already all sold, or currently in final talks to have them sold.

With these out of the way I will be moving on to my golf cards.

Instead of using an auction house or eBay format, I want to try and first attempt to sell any cards to fellow collectors on a first come, first serve basis. Why, because frankly I would rather it end up with people I know.

I am just in the beginning stages of doing this…at this time, I don’t have a complete listing together, but, most cards that I own can be seen by viewing any of my PSA Set Registries under “ Dave Johnson” I have attempted to add scans to each and every one of them, but I might have missed a couple along the way.

Along with what is on my registries, I also have a number of 1897 Baines Golf Ball Cards and a couple of shield cards. I have a ungraded complete set of Millhoffs and I have all of the more current Upper Deck Sets as well, including Tour Threads, and Front Nine Fabrics. And complete sets from ALL of the UD issues (including all of the autographed rookie cards and cards that are auto jersey from base UD Sets)

I am not in a financial position that I am being forced to sell these cards. Quite to the contrary, I am selling these at a time that I feel is right for me and my family, and whatever monies can be better utilized for other things. With that in mind I am not looking for a quick sale, and if I don’t feel like I get any offers or takers on some of my items, I am totally content with keeping those things for a while longer.

There is no guarantee that I won’t get back into the collecting hobby again, but what I do see myself doing – at least in the near term - is being a person that might buy items with the intent to sell them ( I still have a lot of contacts that turn up some good stuff for me on occasion) and still be a person open for any discussion, advice, questions, or comments about golf cards or collecting in general.

I hope you don’t mind me sending this note to you – and some of you might get multiple copies as I may have multiple ways of reaching you(for that I do apologize) but I felt it was important to give you a little insight as to me selling my collection and that everything is completely OK. I know a couple of years ago when Jack Zugay sold all of his collection via REA, I was unable to reach him and tried numerous times…..Mainly because I wanted to wish him well and was hoping there wasn’t a “bad” reason he was selling his collection. Sadly, I never heard from Jack, and I do hope to this day all is well with him.

With that said, If you have an interest in a complete listing (when I have it compiled) Feel free to email me at the following email address

Sjohnson22@neb.rr.com

In the meantime, if you are interested in ANYTHING in my collection, please let me know and feel free to make an offer. I have not yet begun to establish any pricing, etc. on my items, but will likely begin to start that in the next week. For now, I wanted to just touch base with all of you, the many friends who I have had the privilege of sharing the same hobby I enjoy.

If you have anyone else that may be interested in knowing this, feel free to pass along, I am sure I have missed someone along the way.

Look forward to hearing from you…even if it is just to catch up on old times.

Sincerely,

Dave Johnson
Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Good luck Dave.

Please send the list over to me at joe@internetville.com

And.... anyone interested in golf cards - - - - this is a premier collection.... get the list from Dave and do some shopping.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Good to luck to you as well....

I'll take a list at Moesalty@aol.com.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:39 PM
John Wondowski

Default Good luck, Dave!

Please send a list to jwondowski@aol.com.

Thank you,

John
Old 05-20-2012, 05:13 AM
octavio ranzola

Default dave stay strong

Send list to oarmjr44@Gmail.com thanks o
Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Alan Zimmerman

good luck. please send the list to filmalan@gmail.com

thanks.

Alan
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Dave Johnson

Default Here is a 2nd email I have sent to everyone tonight

First off, thanks for the many notes, requests for lists, and inquiries about the state of my health. It has been a pleasant surprise to say the least.

Apparently my last email alarmed many of you, so I thought I should take the time to add a bit more to the story. I apologize for the back-story here, but feel I need to give a few more details based on many of the return notes of concern I have been receiving.

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma back in 2008, It was discovered because I had two blood clots in my lungs – one of which ruptured…., and fortunately that did not do me in…This was the first of many times to be thankful for me.

I was able to get through that and was doing well when a routine checkup found the cancer again. This was in late 2009, I had a number of complications, ended up going through a stem cell transplant, made multiple trips to the ICU,had 6 different surgeries, a temporary colostomy done, was on oxygen for about 2 months,…pretty much every rare and weird thing that can happen to a Hodgkin’s patient. I am certain I pulled through due to a lot of people praying for me and honestly just thinking that the only choice I had was to get better.

Since August of 2010, I have been doing much better and just celebrated 2 years since my transplant a couple of months ago. I continue to have routine checkups and am feeling great, healthy and THANKFUL.

As I have mentioned to some of you, I have simply come to a point where I feel I will enjoy more still finding some nice cards, but then trying to help other collectors get them into their collections. I will still be active on message boards etc., and at some point may even get back into collecting.

So… I am initially pricing for sale my complete sets and some individual cards ( that are not a part of sets in my PSA registries) .

In the beginning stages of attempting any sales., I will attempt first to sell any complete sets and keep the cards together.

Unfortunately I had a spreadsheet all done but for some reason my computer did not save it as I thought, so I am starting over again with it I apologize for this delay. Frankly as I have added up everything I have, it is a larger number than I anticipated.

Some of my pricing may seem a bit high, but again I am not in a “forced to sell” mode. I am doing this because I want to, but if I cannot realize prices that I am happy with, then I am more than happy to keep the cards.

Since my post about selling my collection I have received numerous inquiries, many about individual cards, and even a couple about the entire collection. (including an auction house contacting me) I will do my best to respond to all of these inquiries in due time. Due to the huge interest in a few cards in particular, I may need to do something to allow all parties an equal chance on them. Perhaps even a live auction on the Net 54 Boards???

Again, thanks for all the notes, comments etc. At this time, I will get some lists out to the people that are SERIOUS about a possible sale for the entire collection and once those conversations are completed, I will then get more info out to everyone in a spreadsheet/email

If you know me well enough you know the comments will likely be lengthy and my descriptions may be long….what can I say…I like to talk…(or type)

In the meantime..Happy Collecting!

Dave
Old 05-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Scott S

Best of luck to you, Dave, and I think the idea of selling at least a few items via a Net 54 auction sounds like a great one!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Dave Johnson

Just as an update, I will have a website up and running soon to see the entire collection for sale.

I will be sure to email those who have contacted me and also post the link to it here in the near future.