NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 AM

Default Graded Baseballs Vs. Non-Graded

Was just curious to hear opinions from others about how they feel about graded baseballs vs non-graded. Not talking about Ruth, Mantle, Dimaggio ect. but more like Mays, Aaron, Ripken and other "newer" HOFers. I know that higher graded baseballs sell for a premium, but is it worth the extra money for a graded baseball as opposed to a respectable un-graded ball? Which do you prefer and why?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 AM
$teve O.

I prefer ungraded.Altough I can see the upside of having them graded,protection andthe value of a graded ball,but I still prefer raw.

Last edited by 39special; 12-06-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Chuck Tapia

I have never had a graded ball in a cube that didn't have the ball and or Signature change in the cube over time, displayed or not. Newer MLB baseballs with certain inks (most inks these days) fade like bitch. Look at some of those Jeter Steiner balls??? $4-500.00 then the signature fades right before your eyes with-in a year or 2. NIIIICEEE!!!!!

I would ALMOST NEVER pay any premium for anything graded and taped shut in a cube. It's STUPID. A complete waste of money...not to mention their grading system is horrible & unreliable from the start.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 12-06-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Non-graded and here's why (if I understand how they're grading...if not, please correct me). Baseballs, unlike cards, will not necessarily stay pristine just because they are in a tomb (cube). Ink will fade and/or turn color, oils from the hands of people that touched the ball (either during signing or grading) will turn to brown spots over time, etc etc. Not sure how a ball that has a high grade would remain a high grade over time (although it is possible but not guaranteed). I'm assuming you'll pay a higher price for the graded ball as well, and that to me is just money down the drain. Just my .02.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Steve Zarelli

Agree totally. Especially on a new ball that has not yet had the time to do whatever it may do eventually... Turn yellow, develop spots, etc.

The grading is an indicator on how the ball looked the day it was graded, which could change radically over time even with the best possible storage.

How many ugly stained balls will we eventually see with 9 or 10 grades? Once they "turn" those balls will never get cracked out. They'll pass from owner to owner like hot potatoes for years.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Interesting. I never really thought about that before, and to think I was going to start collecting graded balls. So is there any method to preserve a signed baseball or is it just destined to spot?

Last edited by baseball111; 12-06-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball111 View Post
Interesting. I never really thought about that before, and to think I was going to start collecting graded balls. So is there any method to preserve a signed baseball or is it just destined to spot?
Yep. Always remember that sun/uv rays are not a signed baseball's friend, and neither is harsh lighting. If you want to display them, make sure you can control the lighting in the room, and use a type of lighting that will not have uv (LED lighting does not have UV). Also, keep the ball/balls in either a uv ball display case or uv ball cube, and if you have to handle them, either pick them up fingering only the seams or use gloves (oils will show up as brown spots over time).
I have baseballs from the 80's that look like they were signed yesterday...and baseballs from yesterday that look like they were signed 100 years ago. It's a crap shoot sometimes, especially if you can't pick the pen used or know how often the ball has been handled, but at least some of these things will help keep your baseballs nice for years to come.