NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Wrap Up - 2017 Net54baseball Banquet at the National

This is a wrap up from the promoter (me) of the 2017 Net54baseball Banquet at the National. I felt the event went great. A good time seemed to be had by all. The sponsors always have to be thanked first. So Thanks to Heritage Auctions (hi Chris, Derek, Peter, Nick and everyone else) for being our Platinum Sponsor again. It is appreciated very much each and every time. HA is also a valued advertiser on our board. Thanks also to Al *(hey Al) and Love of the Game Auctions, who was not only a valuable sponsor but a featured speaker too. You are one of the best, Al. Thanks for all you do !!

I would like to thank the speakers too. Brian Drent (hey Brian), from Mile High Card Company, gave a great speech about how, what, why and where of one of, if not THE, best unopened find of cards in the history of our hobby (so far). Many of which will be coming to auction soon. MHCC is a valued advertiser on our forum too.

Al C. (hey Al), of Love of the Game Auctions, told of the Lena Blackburne "Lena Blackburne's Baseball Rubbing Mud" story. Blackburne made an unusual and valuable contribution to baseball when he discovered a special use for the clay from the Delaware River to take the shine off of baseballs before each game. It is still used today and the exact location on the river is still a secret, according to Al!! LOTG is a valued advertiser on our board too.

And last, but probably near the top for me, is the special thanks offered to the Chicago Office of the FBI. They allowed their Special Agent, Brian B., to speak and answer some very good and important questions. I honestly don't think most people realize how lucky we are to have an agency, and specifically someone that gets our hobby, and who is accommodating to almost any reasonable request, taking a look at our hobby. It definitely helps to keep it a lot safer for all of us.

*We were able to raise $812 for Dog/Animal Rescue(s) in North Texas with the 5% Net54baseball matching funds. And that included a $50 donation from a board member who couldn't attend but wanted to help the doggies. I received a few other donations from folks that couldn't attend (hey Micheal at REA) and all of them are appreciated. My guess is that we save quite a few pets lives with this money. I couldn't be happier about that.

And lastly, but never ever the least, thanks to all of the members who came to the event. You helped make it a nice and memorable night. And another thanks to those few who couldn't make it but RSVP'd AND were courteous enough to let me know they couldn't be there as intended. Till next time.....happy collecting!!

Last edited by Leon; 08-05-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Ken McMillan

Was excellent In my opinion also Leon. The FBI agent and his investivation were facinating. Ended up with 2 duplicate T205 cards left over from my group of slabbed cards to trade (Pfiester Sovereign and Foxen Honest Long Cut) and the offer still stands than your choice of either free of charge still Stands. Also, if you can get somebody to buy them then all the procedes will go to either your dog rescue or one of my dog rescues I work with here in California (anything for the hounds). Also good to see you as always.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Jason Wells

Looking forward to the next one. Thanks again for everything.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Dave_Berg

Thank you for hosting and a big thanks to the speakers
Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 PM
Matthew Glidden

Thanks Larry, long time reader and first time attendee! Learned something from all speakers, especially our FBI guest. Funny how his FBI office can only take charge of known faked items (autographs, bats, etc.) and yet people who see those items sound just as excited to see them as they would for the real thing.

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:58 AM
Rich Klein

There was some mighty word of mouth going around about the FBI speaker. During his talk, the room got more crowded every time I looked up and it was truly fascinating to hear what he could legally say.

Rich
Old 08-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
There was some mighty word of mouth going around about the FBI speaker. During his talk, the room got more crowded every time I looked up and it was truly fascinating to hear what he could legally say.

Rich
I'll probably sound unappreciative but I thought the FBI talk was long on generic fraud talk and short on substance. A lot of " no comment" on any questions of interest. I think the FBI speaker had big potential but delivered little. I found the other speakers more informative and interesting. JMO
Old 08-06-2017, 06:00 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

It was a great time Thanks Leon!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I also noticed a number of late arrivers as Brian (FBI) held the stage. I appreciated all the speakers. I only wish I had more time to make it around the room. Thank you Leon.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-06-2017, 11:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The most interesting thing about the event was putting names to people I'd met only here. That's always the best part of attendance at the show.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-06-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:13 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This is a wrap up from the promoter (me) of the 2017 Net54baseball Banquet at the National. I felt the event went great. A good time seemed to be had by all. The sponsors always have to be thanked first. So Thanks to Heritage Auctions (hi Chris, Derek, Peter, Nick and everyone else) for being our Platinum Sponsor again. It is appreciated very much each and every time. HA is also a valued advertiser on our board. Thanks also to Al *(hey Al) and Love of the Game Auctions, who was not only a valuable sponsor but a featured speaker too. You are one of the best, Al. Thanks for all you do !!

I would like to thank the speakers too. Brian Drent (hey Brian), from Mile High Card Company, gave a great speech about how, what, why and where of one of, if not THE, best unopened find of cards in the history of our hobby (so far). Many of which will be coming to auction soon. MHCC is a valued advertiser on our forum too.

Al C. (hey Al), of Love of the Game Auctions, told of the Lena Blackburne "Lena Blackburne's Baseball Rubbing Mud" story. Blackburne made an unusual and valuable contribution to baseball when he discovered a special use for the clay from the Delaware River to take the shine off of baseballs before each game. It is still used today and the exact location on the river is still a secret, according to Al!! LOTG is a valued advertiser on our board too.

And last, but probably near the top for me, is the special thanks offered to the Chicago Office of the FBI. They allowed their Special Agent, Brian B., to speak and answer some very good and important questions. I honestly don't think most people realize how lucky we are to have an agency, and specifically someone that gets our hobby, and who is accommodating to almost any reasonable request, taking a look at our hobby. It definitely helps to keep it a lot safer for all of us.

*We were able to raise $812 for Dog/Animal Rescue(s) in North Texas with the 5% Net54baseball matching funds. And that included a $50 donation from a board member who couldn't attend but wanted to help the doggies. I received a few other donations from folks that couldn't attend (hey Micheal at REA) and all of them are appreciated. My guess is that we save quite a few pets lives with this money. I couldn't be happier about that.

And lastly, but never ever the least, thanks to all of the members who came to the event. You helped make it a nice and memorable night. And another thanks to those few who couldn't make it but RSVP'd AND were courteous enough to let me know they couldn't be there as intended. Till next time.....happy collecting!!
I did not attend, but congratulations on a successful event. If you do this in Cleveland next year, I will probably be there.

Additionally, thank you for sharing the Dog/Animal Rescue(s) part. I copy & pasted that in an email to my fiancee, who is a dog and animal lover, and told her that my hobby helps save dogs and animals. That should get me some brownie points and buy me some more time to collect.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame