NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-09-2022, 12:18 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default If only one affordable T204 HOFer… which would you suggest?

I’ve always liked the ornate look of the T204 Ramly cards. I don’t yet on one and I’m trying to decide which one I should consider adding to my Hall of Fame collection.

Budget is definitely a consideration! And I’m also looking for an image that looks great for that particular card series.

If I had $800-1200 to spend, which Ramly HOFer wound you suggest?

(At the risk of over complicating my quest, I already have Tinker, Chance, Bender, Collins and Wallace in other card issues, T206, T202, etc)

Appreciate hearing your take on the Ramly set -

Jeff
Old 12-09-2022, 12:27 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I would say that the Bobby Wallace would be the most affordable. I would rank the most expensive as: Keeler, Plank and, in a class by himself, WoJo.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:33 PM

There are usually a few HOFers 1-2's that will trade in that range in auctions each of the last few years, maybe even a 3 of a few or AUT, as noted Wallace will be one of the more inexpensive. I would advise buying the nicest level yo can afford to help protect the resale value and even spring for a better name if possible, maybe a 1-2 of a higher tier HOFer vs. a 3 of Wallace or Huggins for example.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:57 PM
C.hris Bl.and

While not the most affordable, Jesse Burkett is a good one to go after as well. His Ramly card is the only card he appears on outside of impossible to find cards such as the Just So and Sporting Life cabinet.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 12-09-2022, 02:56 PM

I’d second Burkett. Ridiculously tough HOFer. .
Old 12-09-2022, 03:01 PM

And just to add some visual interest to the thread, here is my HOF subset.

T204ToughCards.jpg
T204Cubs.jpg
T204Players.jpg
T204Managers.jpg
Old 12-09-2022, 04:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Brown should still be relatively affordable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brown,m.jpg (141.3 KB, 359 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:25 PM
Jerry

Great cards Alywa, thanks for posting
I would think Jimmy Collins would be a good choice for first Ramly.

Last edited by TheBig6; 12-09-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig6 View Post
Great cards, thanks for posting
I would think Jimmy Collins would be a good choice for first Ramly.
He was my first one. Then Huggins.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:53 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by alywa View Post
And just to add some visual interest to the thread, here is my HOF subset.

Attachment 546335
Attachment 546334
Attachment 546336
Attachment 546337
Holy smokes, nice!!!
Old 12-09-2022, 07:14 PM

I would think Miller Huggins would likely be the most affordable T204 HOF'er, but I also like Jimmy Collins and Roger Bresnahan as other lower price alternatives (with the thought that you already have a representative Wallace card in your collection.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 12-09-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:09 PM

Believe it or not, Bresnahan was the second hardest for me to find. Frank Chance was my toughest.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alywa View Post
Believe it or not, Bresnahan was the second hardest for me to find. Frank Chance was my toughest.
I retract my support for Bresnahan. Long live Huggins and Collins!

Brian
Old 12-10-2022, 04:52 AM

Bresnahan is relatively tough compared to the other HOFers. While Chris's Burkett suggestion has merit that is a tall order to fill with the mid grade examples now well over five figures and the lower tier 5k plus.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:16 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Nice thread!

Thanks to all for posting. This set just keep creeping up on me, the photography and presentation is special. That Keeler photo makes him look like somebody famous!
...whatever I want
Old 12-11-2022, 03:04 AM
Phil Garry

Agreed, Burkett is one of the two or three most desirable HOF’ers to own from the Ramly set. In today’s world, $800-$1,200 for one of these is a pipe dream in any sort of decent condition not missing a chunk of the card, writing all over his face, etc.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-11-2022 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 06:15 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

As OP, I just wanted to thank you all for the great advice and ideas… based on all of this and what I already have in my collection toward my HOF player “set”, I think I’ll either chase down a Bresnahan or Wallace.

So many others are such great cards but either for affordability or the fact that I already have them in other card sets, looks like it’s either George or Roger for me as my one/only Ramly!

Thx again, all.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2022, 12:51 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread, but I could use more “crowd source” advice.

I’m starting to think differently about my one/only Ramly. Maybe downgrade a few cards in my collection to generate $$ to get into one of the bigger HOFers.

I’ll never get to WaJo but maybe Keeler, Burkett or Brown? The Keeler card is a really great looking issue.

If I ask, which is likely to best keep its value, would that suggest a bigger HOF name like Keeler or Brown? Or maybe Bender?

(I buy my cards like I golf… too much time up in my head, classic overthinker!)

Thx

Jeff
Old 12-12-2022, 02:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't think you can micromanage the investment angle to the point of asking which Ramly HOFer is going to better hold value. I would buy what you like the most, within what you can afford. And if you haven't done so, and this is not meant at all to sound patronizing, think about overall objectives.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-12-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:51 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I would buy Burkett

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:15 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't think you can micromanage the investment angle to the point of asking which Ramly HOFer is going to better hold value. I would buy what you like the most, within what you can afford. And if you haven't done so, and this is not meant at all to sound patronizing, think about overall objectives.
Not taken as patronizing at all.. this is why I ask for opinions!

My objectives are simple - I collect for the joy of it, to stay reasonably within my own budget and hope that someday, my kids can sell easily and at least get back what I paid for it.

Nothing wrong with buying to invest - but that’s not my jam! Thx Peter
Old 12-12-2022, 03:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Not taken as patronizing at all.. this is why I ask for opinions!

My objectives are simple - I collect for the joy of it, to stay reasonably within my own budget and hope that someday, my kids can sell easily and at least get back what I paid for it.

Nothing wrong with buying to invest - but that’s not my jam! Thx Peter
Then if you're set on a Ramly I would just buy what you like, I can't imagine anyone can tell you one is more likely to retain value than the other of the one's you've listed. Personally I have found over time I do better with concrete objectives but there of course is no right or wrong way to collect.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:10 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Then if you're set on a Ramly I would just buy what you like, I can't imagine anyone can tell you one is more likely to retain value than the other of the one's you've listed. Personally I have found over time I do better with concrete objectives but there of course is no right or wrong way to collect.
Ok, I’ve decided… please sell me your Brown, Pete!
Old 12-12-2022, 04:44 PM

In terms of player choice, I'd go with Keeler or Brown. Bresnahan should also be considered, as his card also has a nice portrait.

Whatever your choice, I'd suggest that you focus on getting a card with an image that has nice contrast, and, if possible, one without any stains or spots. This would not only help with resale value down the road, but finding a lower grade example with these qualities would also present a nice challenge to a collector (it that appeals to you).

Good luck, whatever you decide.

And, nice cards, Alywa!
Old 12-12-2022, 05:14 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
In terms of player choice, I'd go with Keeler or Brown. Bresnahan should also be considered, as his card also has a nice portrait.

Whatever your choice, I'd suggest that you focus on getting a card with an image that has nice contrast, and, if possible, one without any stains or spots. This would not only help with resale value down the road, but finding a lower grade example with these qualities would also present a nice challenge to a collector (it that appeals to you).

Good luck, whatever you decide.

And, nice cards, Alywa!
Solid advice - I’m thinking the same way… Keeler, Brown or maybe Bres (love the Burkett logic but his price is from a budget galaxy far, far away from mine!
Old 12-13-2022, 07:15 AM

Man, those hairstyles were atrocious! Bresnahan bucks the trend, as does Johnson to an extent.

Collins has a bit of a Hershiser vibe in his portrait; Evers is going with a Kevin Bacon look!
Old 01-05-2023, 05:05 PM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

To put a bow tie finish on this thread as the OP, I wanted to report back that I was lucky enough to find/buy this beauty from a great Net54 board member.

Thx again to all for your advice above!

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C597184-1D00-4159-A8F4-1A19CAD94DB1.jpg (195.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpeg 3FDE242C-4E48-48AE-B572-7A102D3D0535.jpeg (30.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 01-05-2023, 05:09 PM

outstanding, congrats!
Old 01-05-2023, 05:13 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
I’ve always liked the ornate look of the T204 Ramly cards. I don’t yet on one and I’m trying to decide which one I should consider adding to my Hall of Fame collection.

Budget is definitely a consideration! And I’m also looking for an image that looks great for that particular card series.

If I had $800-1200 to spend, which Ramly HOFer wound you suggest?

(At the risk of over complicating my quest, I already have Tinker, Chance, Bender, Collins and Wallace in other card issues, T206, T202, etc)

Appreciate hearing your take on the Ramly set -

Jeff

You collect the same way I do! In pre-war, I have several different caramels issues of HOFers, as well as several different tobacco issues, along with one bread issue and a Sporting News card as well - all different HOF cards. So I'm not the only one who has sort of a combo HOF/type collection. Cheers, Jeff!
Old 01-05-2023, 05:32 PM

Great choice and beautiful card!