NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Adam Jacob

Default Is JSA a trustworty company

I was wanting to know if JSA was a trust worthy authentication company for autos. I mostly have PSA.DNA stuff, but have found some JSA items that I do like. Also what are some other trustworthy companies, and what are the ones to stay far away from?

Thanks Adam
Old 01-31-2017, 01:03 PM
Richard Simon

I suggest you post this in the autograph forum.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-31-2017, 01:04 PM
Adam Jacob

thanks I will move it.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardspun8 View Post
thanks I will move it.
Only a moderator can move stuff. I can't imagine what it would be like if we opened that up. Holy smokes . Welcome to the forum too, Adam!!

and the thread in the memorabilia section was locked in order to have the discussion in one place, here. thanks

Last edited by Leon; 01-31-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:20 PM
Le.if Eld.evik

There is a lot of debate surrounding JSA and PSA.

The authenticators to COMPLETELY avoid are GA/GAI (anything with Global in the name). They will slap a COA on anything. Which is why they sell for a fraction of the price as anything with a PSA/JSA certificate. Knowledgeable autograph collectors know that anything with a GA/GAI cert is almost certainly fake.

There are now 4 authentication with reasonably good reputations. PSA (the oldest and largest), JSA (Founded by a former PSA authenticator), SGC and Beckett (Beckett took PSA's two top authenticators recently).

Personally, I am not a big fan of any of them. From my experience, PSA and JSA get things right most of the time. But they have made some very embarrassing errors over the years and while they may get things 90% to 95% right, I still won't buy an autograph solely based on their cert. There are also large dealers which seem to have very cozy relationships with both PSA and JSA who get anything authenticated (I have seen illegible scribbles with PSA stickers).

I'm not very familiar with Beckett (they are brand new) and I haven't seen much from SGC. But both are well respected for card grading.

Personally, I put more of an emphasis on who I'm buying the autograph from over which company authenticated it. The exception being when there is a PSA or JSA "witnessed" COA. That means there was a public or private signing and a PSA or JSA rep witnessed the item being signed. Those are rock solid.

I hope this was helpful.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:22 PM
Adam Jacob

Thanks you for your the information. It will help me build my man cave.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:53 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradegeek View Post
The exception being when there is a PSA or JSA "witnessed" COA. That means there was a public or private signing and a PSA or JSA rep witnessed the item being signed. Those are rock solid.

I hope this was helpful.
That is not necessarily so.
Based on a detailed e mail from Jimmy Spence (when at PSA) to me, Steve Rocchi made a deal with B&J and PSA certed Joe DiMaggio autographs as being in person witnessed. They were not in person witnessed. They were also bogus.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-01-2017 at 07:38 AM.