NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Matt Wieder

Default Wow - Modern Card

I was just chatting with a friend who mentioned to me he thought this card would end over $20k.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-BOWMAN-CHRO...QQcmdZViewItem

I think it's good every once and a while to get a wake-up call like that about other parts of our hobby. I couldn't fathom spending that on a card just made a few months ago, but apparently many people would.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Doug Goodman

Default I've got two words for the buyer...

Brien Taylor
Old 05-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Bob Pomilla

Yes, but would you trade your entire collection for it?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:12 PM

I wonder what this went for 8 years ago. Mark Prior

http://cgi.ebay.com/01-DONRUSS-ELITE...item56380b3cbc

Last edited by David W; 05-21-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added player name
Old 05-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Jim VB

There is a great line buried in the description by this seller.

"All cards are Nmt/Mt Or better unless professionally graded."

I guess that comment might sway a few votes in the grading poll.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't understand the concept of manufactured scarcity. Who cares??

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Ive been watching it for a couple days now, Collector Weekly says it now has "880 watchers" on eBay.

Actually 5 out of the top 6 "Most Watched" cards are 2010 Strasburg's
Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Jim D

I could amass a fairly decent collection for that type of money.

A few words to the buyer.... A fool and his money are soon parted! To the seller, congrats on winning a ridiculous lottery!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:06 PM
MJ

It's all hyped. Who know, perhaps there are shill biddings

Last edited by ichieh; 05-21-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Ken McMillan

Zzzzzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzzzz
Old 05-23-2010, 01:59 PM

Heh, a nice example of how modern card packs are just lottery tickets for all ages.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Bob

Default intentional rarity? absurd!

I cannot believe anyone would pay 16k for a manufactured rarity. Think beany babies and that will give you an idea of created rarity. Add to that the surgery and this is a crd waiting to plummet. Of course 84 bids shows there are a lot of folks waitnig for card companies to tell them what is rare. The fact that any card company can create a 1/1 means nothing. I see these presidential autographs packed in a card and suddenly it goes for more than the whole letter from the same historical figure. Absurd indeed.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Totally unreal, by my way of thinking. Even assuming Strasberg becomes a phenom (and since I share in Nats season tix, I certainly hope he does), he will sign so many cards during the next five years that I can't imagine this one retaining its value.

Perhaps it's too soon to track re-sales of high-priced insert cards with manufactured scarcity (I recall a LeBron card that sold for a small fortune), but I would suspect that their values decrease significantly over time.

Mark
Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Barry Sloate

Whatever this one sells for will likely be the highest price it ever achieves. It can only go down from here.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Speaking of phenoms....

Here is a card that just ended, this 17 year old kid has not even been drafted yet... But he will be a great player Im sure...
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Bowman-Chro...mZ270579237416

if you dont know Bryce Harper, read about him

Sports Illustrated article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6215/index.htm

Strasburg wasnt even drafted out of HS!
Harper left HS 2 years early to get Drafted (next month, he will be #1).
I like the part where "he went 12 for 12 with 11 HRs and a Double"

Last edited by fkw; 05-21-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Bill

Can you say buyers remorse....
Old 05-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Bill

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hybrid Biery Mantle.JPG (32.2 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Ke.n K0hen

At times I feel that those of us immersed in this hobby have more money than brains. This auction takes it to a new level.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Often in these high profile eBay auctions, you get a bunch of kids and idiots that bid away like its all a big joke. Many times when the auction is over the winner is somebody's 12 year old kid who thought it would be funny to bid, and ended up winning. It happens all the time with eBay. And the other bidders very often refuse second chance offers a few days or weeks later, when the excitement of the auction has worn off.

If I was the seller of this card I would be quite pessimistic that I was actually going to get paid, whatever the auction goes for. I suppose there are high end card auctions for modern cards, that pre-screen bidders, like REA, etc?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
Often in these high profile eBay auctions, you get a bunch of kids and idiots that bid away like its all a big joke. Many times when the auction is over the winner is somebody's 12 year old kid who thought it would be funny to bid, and ended up winning. It happens all the time with eBay. And the other bidders very often refuse second chance offers a few days or weeks later, when the excitement of the auction has worn off.

If I was the seller of this card I would be quite pessimistic that I was actually going to get paid, whatever the auction goes for. I suppose there are high end card auctions for modern cards, that pre-screen bidders, like REA, etc?

Good point. There's a very good chance the seller gets stiffed in this auction. Looking at the feedback number on the high bidder right now, I'd say it's probably an eventuality.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post

If you look at the bid retraction and cancellation history, http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=190398394834
you'll see that there has been a lot of screening of bidders going on.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:17 PM

Stephen Strasburg Has 'Significant Tear' in Elbow Ligament, Will Need Surgery
Old 08-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Tough body blow for the hobby but we will persevere. Hopefully, he comes back better then ever! At least this kind of thing can't happen to a Cobb, Ruth, Mathewson, Lajoie, Williams, DiMaggio, Mantle, Horace Clarke, etc, etc, etc...

Lovely Day...
Old 08-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Iggy

Iggy-Man

Even a dolt like me might notice if Cy Young had Tommy John surgery...

We just have to worry about the card surgery being done...still painful to the wallet, but doesn't hurt your arm.

And don't you think I missed the Horace Clarke reference my pal...well played and very funny!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Clayton

The other day I was at Target and noticed the Topps 2010 sets are advertising on the front of the box "Stephen Strasburg rookie card inside"

I wish him the best in his career,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lets see what happens next with the Las Vegas phenom Bryce Harpers' rookie card

Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 08-27-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 AM

People who follow hype aren't all that wise and always seem to get burned.

They always want "what's in the news" and this goes for something like this (if he pitches 50 perfect games in a row, it won't hold it's value because there will a better 1/1 insert down the road) or the buying up autographs of a recently deceased individual (I watched a person win a Mother Theresa signed insert card for $12,000 following her death or those $3,000 Michael Jackson photos which are now selling for $300), it never pays off for them in the long run.

This isn't a tragedy, just delays what could be a brilliant pitcher in the making. ESPN made it seem like he had passed away, but I know have facts memorized noting indivuduals who had bounced back from this with more success.

And Kerry Wood.

DanC
Old 08-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Have to agree with Peter. However, probable that those same creators(of pre 1940 sets), put in the present, would do the same or similar. Exposed to present mindset, internet, historical perspective, etc, that would be likely outcome.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 PM

As a collector, I don't see any difference between a refractor and a back variation. If you have to bring up intention to differentiate the two, then you're just talking about semantics. One is rarer than the other because it was printed in a more limited quantity. You can gloss the front in crazy colors or you can change the advertisement on the back, either way, you're making a scarcer version of your base card. The Strasburg card is not just a manufactured rarity, it is a chase card. It's the premier card in the entire set. People are going to buy more packs to try to find it. The same was true for the Lajoie Goudey, Ruth Butter Cream, the Chance Cracker Jack and so on and so on. I think people should stop looking at numbered cards as manufactured rarities and should start seeing them as what they are: chase cards. Card manufacturers have literally been doing the same thing for over a hundred years. Just because a product is modern doesn't make the concept new. And because you enjoy pre-war cards doesn't mean you aren't sharing a common collecting interest as modern collectors.

Last edited by packs; 08-28-2010 at 08:09 PM.