NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Tim

Default Quality vs. Quantity

I'm giving serious consideration to selling off my collection and consolidating it down to a much lesser number of items of better quality. Essentially going from a collection of hundreds of cards to 25-50.

For those that have done this have you been happy?

Any thoughts are welcome.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Frank Wakefield

I've briefly considered such, and it did not seem attractive to me.

I was told of an old, long time collector, who years ago did something along those lines. He wasn't after quality (which wasn't the bugabear that it is now for some), he was after rarity. His goal was to have his entire collection in his shirtpocket. He'd not have a Wagner... but he could have gotten a 33 Lajoie then, the portrait Cobbs, O'Hara and Demmitt, portraits of Young, Mathewson and Johnson. A 52 Mantle. A 34 Gehrig and a 39 DiMaggio. E90-1s of Mitchell, Walsh, Graham, and Jackson... A fellow could have about a dozen killer cards that wouldn't take up much space. And that was his goal.

So he was going for rarity, not quantity. You're talking quality, not quantity. I think most folks today would agree with the quality angle. It seems that current card values support that. For me, it isn't so much the dollar value as it is who is on the card and which set it's from. The history of it all fascinates me much more than a slab number.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Barry Sloate

Tim- my suggestion is to sell from the bottom up. That allows you to still retain your better pieces in case you have a change of heart, and you can still raise money along the way. You won't miss the lesser cards as much and can always sell the better ones later if you need to.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:24 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default Quality vs. Quantity

I agree with Frank. I would much prefer to have a Cobb, Ruth, Jackson, Johnson, Mathewson in lesser condition than just a Cobb in NM condition.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Tim

A quick clarification. By quality I didn't necessarily mean high grade. I personally value rarity over grade.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
I'm giving serious consideration to selling off my collection and consolidating it down to a much lesser number of items of better quality. Essentially going from a collection of hundreds of cards to 25-50.

For those that have done this have you been happy?

Any thoughts are welcome.
I've done exactly this and have been very happy with the results. I also don't have anything high-grade.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Doug C.

I've rarely had more than 20 cards at a time (other then when I attempted to put sets together early on) and I've really enjoyed collecting that way.

Last edited by Doug; 05-01-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Joe M.

I did the same thing, I had way to many cards. I probably still have too many, but managable now.

Joe
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Henry Levy

Default Rarity vs Quantity

Tim - As I am in the process of selling my graded T206 set [hopefully to be replaced with a raw set], I am keeping those rare cards and unusual print errors that are so tough to find and that give me pleasure to own.
I know that most cards, even some of the toughies, are replaceable. However, I am satisfied with those cards I have decided to retain and with the pursuit of other rarities that I would love to own. I also enjoy focusing on putting together a decent condition back set so as to not feel totally disconected from The Monster.

Hank
Old 05-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Marc S.

Default I have largely done this...

I've significantly reduced the quantity of cards in my collection. Although I do have some examples that are high-grade, I more appreciate rarity and special pieces [in mid grade] than having tons and tons of cards.

I never appreciated the sheer quantity of cards I had -- and with a fewer number of pieces, each of them are special to me.

It is a good move, especially if you diversify enough that you don't end up setting record setting prices for whatever quality pieces you decide to acquire.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Paul

Default I did it and have not regretted it

I sold off about 500 T206 cards, all graded by SGC, and got down to about 50 total, if you include my 32 autographed T206 cards. Before I started slowly compiling unsigned and low grade raw T206 cards, I was down to 22 graded cards. I used most of the funds to purchase Lionel Carter's Eddie Plank and a Magie error, as well as two dozen or so signed T206 cards. Occasionally I miss one of my Chase cards or a Lajoie. But those are so easy to get back any time I really want them. Once I started the sell off, it became surprisingly easy and comfortable to do.

Good luck!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Yes and No

Hardly a helpful short answer, I realize. I toyed with that idea but found it completely impossible to randomly choose a number and limit myself to that number of cards. Instead, I assess things more or less card by card and set by set. On some cards, I determine that I really don't care much for them, so I perhaps keep one example and get rid of the rest. I kept only 1 N28, the John L. Sullivan, which I really like, and got rid of the rest of my N28/N29/N43s. Some cards I find I like so much that I go after the whole set. I feel that way about Exhibit Salutations and 1971 Topps. Others are in between: I like a few cards or want a few cards but have zero interest in amassing a set. I have no interest in The Monster or in any of the Zeenuts sets, for example, but I have actively collected the HOFers and popular players for years.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 PM
David Poses

Default tough question

in theory, i go with quality (not necessarily high-grade. i'll take low grade scarcity over high grade common anyday). in practice, i like winning auctions and getting packages in the mail too much, so i find myself with one foot in quality and one in quantity
Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 AM
David Goff

That's a tough decision. Glad I don't have to make it...

If I were to make it, I would go the quality route.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:54 AM
M@rk Lu7z

This thread suggests that there is a movement if not a flight to quality among many collectors. What do you suppose has brought this on? I ask this as someone who is firmly rooted in quantity.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Mark

It might be that the upper echelon has proven to hold it's value better. Regardless of what collectors say we don't want to buy a card (or trade) and have the value go down. There is a good market for lower grade items right now...but that same market was up about 50% or more a year or two ago and now, if you bought lower conditioned cards in that time frame, your values have gone down. I posed this same question when I very first started collecting and was buying my E102 Cobby. My decision was to collect nice cards that would present well but not necessarily high technical grades. I also chose not to collect sets as I like a wide variety of items (in my younger days it was girls....many of them too)......now, since I am happily married it's cards....and a wide variety of them. Good luck....
Old 05-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Dale Hennessey

Personally I'm not to that point yet. Started collecting 3 yrs ago with a goal of all the cards listed in the SMR magazine (T206's). Have aprox. 85 cards with about dozen or so to go. Me I'm a hoarder and don't like to sell. So my vote would be continue your quest and leave them for your kids
Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM

I have trouble making up my mind on this issue.

Sometimes I think about selling 95% of my collection to get a few really nice cards. . . but I have never been able to do it. . . I am now mostly a PCL/Zeenut collector, and I enjoy looking at some of my lower value Zeenuts just as much as other (much more valuable) cards.

In the end, collect what makes you happy, even if that seems to change once a week!

Andrew
Old 05-02-2009, 04:12 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

My motto

"Lean and mean"
Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM
JB

Default ...............................

This is a tricky and complicated question. It is also very subjective, and there is no right or wrong answer. I have done this, i did it to raise funds for a single card, by selling many others, and have found that I was just as happy as before. Like many, my collecting habits and goals may change again soon (probably will). It is really all about ones personal preference.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 AM
James Gallo

I tend to like the look and variety of cards too much to trim it down. I also really like a few sets that I am chasing so I don't think I will ever have a small collection unless somone wants to trade me a wagner for it :-)

James G
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Erich W

Default Quality

I recently was faced with the same question and decided to pursue quality...and haven't looked back. My collection was about 100+ strong (mostly raw, some graded), but have since consolidated into a collection of about 30 graded cards of much higher quality. I kept about 10 of the original cards (and even sent some away to get graded with mixed results) that I considered my 'cornerstones.' I got rid of the rest on B/S/T and eBay. Used those funds to purchase higher value cards that I am much more proud of.

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY ANY DAY