NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default Finally An Estate Auction Worth Attending

Posted By: Dan Bretta

This had been to my memory the single worst Summer for estate auctions in my locale that I can ever remember...Nothing and I mean nothing had shown up that fits my collection until today. I was able to pick up a lot of Lincoln Athletics items that I did not have.

Not the best condition, but this is the first 1952 program I've ever run across. I also got two 1949 programs, but I've posted them before so I won't post the ones I got today.
Photobucket

These next two items pertain to the Lincoln Chiefs selling stock...both a little water damaged, but once again the first time I've seen them for sale.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are some other items I picked up just because they were baseball - they don't necessarily fit my collection, but I couldn't pass them up.

A Reach Heavy Hitter bat and a 1916-29 Cy Williams LS125
Photobucket

Photobucket

Nice old Spalding split finger and Rawlings Blanchard model catcher's mitt - anyone know the dating on the Spalding tag?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Some items I didn't get were an old red and blue stitch baseball because it was mixed into a box that went higher than the ball was worth, a Hamm's beer baseball themed stored display (only sold for $85, but my friend was bidding on it so I let him have it), and a circa 1940 Montgomery Ward baseball still in the original box - that was very cool, but it was mixed in with Christmas ornaments and another friend told me that if I didn't bid against him he'd just give me the baseball. Well that sure didn't work out well when the box went for way more than it was worth to some lady I'd never seen before....I walked up and asked her if she wanted to sell the ball and she ignored me or didn't hear me, so I asked again and she yelled at me that she wasn't going to sell it to me...."Okay then"....

Oh yeah...and for good measure I couldn't pass up this Ike and Dick sign from 1956...it's huge, approx 3' x 2'. For $5 it was a steal

Photobucket

Old 08-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I'll be curious to see what the campaign sign is worth. Is it definitely an original?

Visit www.vintage-autographs.com for the hobby's finest selection of vintage baseball signatures.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Yeah, it's for sure original...has the union label down near the bottom. I also got two 1950s Carl Curtis yard signs in the same $5 lot...he was a Senator from Nebraska back in the 50s through the 1970s. I don't really collect political stuff, but I liked the sign so I threw in the opening bid and was surprised no one else bid. There was a ton of Republican Party ephemera at this auction, but this is the only thing I bid on in that area.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Dan, Could the Cy Williams bat be a gamer? What is on the knob and what is the length?

Old 09-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Dan, awesome pickups! I really like that stock certificate. It's not often that you find a nice cache of items like those.

I would agree with Mike in the bat may be a pro model. It would definately be worth checking into.

Clint

Old 09-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Mike, the length of the bat is 34" and there is nothing stamped into the knob...I am certain the bat is cracked underneath the tape...I can tell when I knock on the bat. Still couldn't pass it up it was so cheap.

Clint, I had that stock certificate on my wantlist for years after a friend of mine told me his dad had one and yesterday I picked up not just the one I scanned, but there were two certificates. Reading the letter it sounds like they sent out a card to people to entice them to invest in the team so I'm wondering if any of those cards are still out there.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

That could be a gamer Dan. Don't do anything with it til you confirm. I'm not sure what size Williams used, but an unmarked knob on an early 125 is a good thing. You may want to consult Dave Bushing regarding potential for it.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Not trying to be rude to anyone but were kinda making it sound like its a $10,000 bat. I would bet that it is a gamer and worth alot more than Dan payed for it. Sorry if its being rude to anyone.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Brock, were a friendly group on this side and try to look out for each other. Granted it's not a $10,000 bat but it could sell in the $200-$300 range easy enough. Dan could get some great Nebraska stuff for that. He couldn't get much for a $30-$40 store model. I just think it's worth finding out. I didn't think you were being rude and I don't believe that Mike or I believed the bat was worth $10,000.

Clint

Old 09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Brock I'm one of the least offendable (if that is a word) people on the planet. If it's a gamer, I wouldn't be surprised to see it bring $400. Like Clint mentioned, Dan could move it and purchase more treasures to share with us.