NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default congrats, pete c. !!!!

Posted By: pas

As of this instant, five of the first six threads showing on the board are yours.

Net54 Members Are What % of All BB Card Collectors? peter chao 19 Oct 14, 2007, 3:04 PM
Should a Newbie Post? peter chao - Oct 14, 2007, 3:03 PM
New 2008 SCD Came Out- Are Prices Accurate? peter chao 6 Oct 14, 2007, 2:57 PM
Dinner With Kevin Saucier JimCrandell 78 Oct 14, 2007, 2:53 PM
9 Key Vintage Cards by Position peter chao 5 Oct 14, 2007, 2:44 PM
Aesthetics Alone- '33 Goudey vs. '34 Diamond Stars peter chao 1 Oct 14, 2007, 2:33 PM

Old 10-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Please check out my thread on whether a Newbie Should Post? I apologize if it seems like I'm stepping on people's toes.

Peter C.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Peter S, he's only got 7 on the front page. That's like only 6 more than anyone else. Good thing his threads are filled with such compelling stuff.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Pugeda

Peter S. and Jeff L.,

If Peter C.'s posts bother you so much, why do feel compelled to keep reading them? Why start a sarcastic thread on the subject which others may feel is as pointless as you feel Pete C.'s posts are.

We get it...you dislike Pete C. and/or his thread content. That horse is already dead.

Mike Pugeda

Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Mike, ever drive past a crash on the highway?

Old 10-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Pugeda

Jeff,

Yes, as a matter of fact I have. But I just mind my own business. No sense in causing another accident. Damn rubberneckers!!!

Mike

Old 10-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I don't think Pete will stop until one of two things happen:

1)Every post on page one is one that he started or
2)Every Net54 poster tells him enough is enough.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Its hard to get through to some people Jim.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I think it's an oversimplification to say that we can all just ignore posts we don't like. It's technically true, but only meaningful up to a certain point.

If it were true without bound, then any person could post anything at all here and it should theoretically be okay. But that's just obviously ridiculous. If this board were wide open to any post on any topic, no one would bother to wade through the crap to get to the stuff they wanted to read. At some point the balance starts tipping and people that want to stick more to core issues will stop coming here because it won't be worth it.

You can put up with a few songs you don't like on your favorite station every now and then. Turn it down, flip eslewhere for a few minutes, whatever. But there comes a point where there's more you want to skip (or wish you had) than what you want to hear. At that point you don't really listen to that station anymore, or it's not your favorite, or it's something you switch to once in a blue moon - or you just start watching TV instead.

Whatever. But it's pretty clear that in order to retain any sense of focus or relevance to this board we simply can't just say "don't read if you don't like" to every issue that comes up. That works fine for the occasional war thread, or OT thread, or whatever. But it can't work when there are too many to "just don't read". Too many people will decide it's not worth it and leave, or dramatically reduce participation.

It seems that some people - not all but definitely enough to take notice - are asking Peter for a little self-control. People here are generally quite tolerant, and it's rare that a poster is singled out to try to dial it down or something. If it were me, I'd be all ears.

Joann

Old 10-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Don't reply to the post and it drops quickly........but some of his post have merit and are interesting.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pas

I did not realize when I started this thread that Pete C. had already started a thread on the subject of his own threads. As usual he is one step ahead.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

Old 10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Look guys, I get the message. I'll tone it down. But I would like to leave you with a new thought. Creativity is the highest level of intelligence, so before you tell a newbie to shut up, give him a chance. If you check out my threads, there is a lot of creativity. Basically I'm a newbie who's trying to spice up the life of the establishment. Believe it or not you guys and gals are part of the stodgy establishment.

Peter C.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Yeah, Peter, that's it: your genius is just at such a high level that you're simply ahead of your time. Perhaps in 100 years when another civilization stumbles upon this thread they will all gather around and take wonder at your genius and you will finally be afforded the respect you deserve. Until then...

<---- note double smiley

Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Correct me if I'm wrong, Peter, but didn't you solicit people's opinions on whether you should post more or less often? So ... you got answers you didn't like and decided to do eliminate the smiley face?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Peter- even giving you the benefit of the doubt and agreeing that you put some imagination into your posts, they aren't always related to this board. This is really a meeting place for vintage baseball card collectors, not a site to discuss any topic whatsoever relating to the game of baseball. A better focus would go a long way.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I will chime in, in a minute, but what am I missing? I just looked down the front page at the threads Peter C has started. Would someone please point the ones out that are off topic? I want to get past that before I go on.....Sometimes I just don't see things the way others do....

Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

It's more that his posts are a bit obtuse. See, for example, the one on attics and basements.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I know...and see my latest response....I think it might be the posts more than the threads that can get to be annoying.....see, I am slow....I still think folks are being a little hard on Peter but I do see the issue...

Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Well if Barry says I should tone it down, then that pretty much says it all. After all, isn't Barry the community patriarch?

Peter C.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

"Creativity is the highest level of intelligence, so before you tell a newbie to shut up, give him a chance. If you check out my threads, there is a lot of creativity."

I think I'm going to use this logic in my next performance review at work. I'll define what constitutes success, then I'll tell my boss that I exhibit that.

Pete - the above probably isn't intended to be as mean as it sounds.... I just found that quote funny. Frankly, I think your posts are fine. Sometimes we all (myself included, certainly) discuss our hobbies with such passion you'd think we were talking about world peace or feeding the hungry.

Jeff

Old 10-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Chao,
Stay strong, don't get discouraged. Keep posting if you want to!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Peter -

I don't think you have any idea or concern about the purpose of this forum, so you continue to post about Barry Bonds, modern cards, and whatever else pops into your mind. Maybe you could prove otherwise.

Bill

Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Peter- no, I'm not the community patriarch, just another poster like everyone else.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Candidly Peter C. what bothers me is your proclivity to make blatant misstatements about the law when legal issues come up, to be followed after being pressed by your acknowledgement that you are opining about something beyond your expertise. This has happened on many occasions. When lawyers and other professionals speak about their fields, people tend to believe them, so when you make these way off-base legal pronouncements that need to be corrected I do find it troublesome.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

Well, if Peter C. doesn't post, all that will be left to discuss are statistical analyses of what series of tobacco factory overprints has the fewest broken printer plate hyphens.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

"Well, if Peter C. doesn't post, all that will be left to discuss are statistical analyses of what series of tobacco factory overprints has the fewest broken printer plate hyphens ..."

PC, that is a great post!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken W.

PC,

Bravo!!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Gordon

Wow, there are some bitter hostile folks on this board. Lighten up!!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

and I promise this to be my last word on the subject.

When you come to this board, from CU or many others, the thing that stands out is the focus on the topic it was intended for (Pre WW2 vintage baseball cards) and the depth and quality of knowledge that is expressed.
There are some seriously bright and well informed long time collectors who participate and the topics tend to hard core card minutiae that exposes new understanding in the hobby.
Swearing is out.
Off topic is supposed to be scarce.
The casual banter limited smart and funny.

If new posters want to change the tenor of the board to more closely resemble the casual drifting and frankly boring nature of a CU, you might enjoy the new fraternity feel but lose a whole lot of illumination.

If and when this board starts to feel that way to me, I'll no doubt stop posting or even dropping by to read.....after all, I've got friends and family to chit chat to all day - I come here to learn. Smiles laughs and jabs along the way, sure, but primarily to be more informed than I currently am.

Daniel

Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

"If new posters want to change the tenor of the board to more closely resemble the casual drifting and frankly boring nature of a CU, you might enjoy the new fraternity feel but lose a whole lot of illumination.

If and when this board starts to feel that way to me, I'll no doubt stop posting or even dropping by to read.....after all, I've got friends and family to chit chat to all day - I come here to learn."

Dang Daniel. That was perfect. Thank you for articulating what I was unable to do clearly, even using many many more words.

And maybe for me to put it less eloquently ... I like that this board has much less of a "Duh" factor than most. This is simply a somewhat more serious and "card-brainy" area.

I think we get puh-lenty of the friendly stuff here too - it's not like it's all business and nothing else.

Joann

Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Guys, and Gals

I get the picture now. I'm picky about who I listen to, but I've heard people's opinions.

Also, I'm not sure if I like the new use of the smiley face. It's almost like you can stick in the knife as deep as you would like and somehow the smiley face makes it all okay.

Anyway, let's let the issue die and give peace a chance.

Peter C.

Edited to add: Peter S. your sarcasm is preferable to Jeff L.'s baseball bat.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

I see you have only started three threads today, Peter. Tell us, why did you ask our opinions if you weren't going to listen?

Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

Where is Koteles when you need another laugh?

BcD