NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Jamie

Default Ebay Seller Jeddrinkwine

Anyone know this guy...

I asked him a question through ebay about selling me a card at a lower price then his very high buy it now price.. and this was his response

"And your blocked for life.. i will never sell you a card... smooth move"

just wondering what type of a person responds to a "will you sell this for card for 50 bucks" message with that kind of response...

has anyone else dealt with this guy?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Joe M.

What was the buy it now price?. Sounds like you really lowballed the seller according to him.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Patrick N.

Default Met

I've met him in person at an NC show. He was nice and straightforward with me, but a bit rough around the edges. He had large amount of dollar boxes with signs stating THERE ARE NO FURTHER DISCOUNTS, etc. i.e. he is the kind of guy that gets pissed if you try to negotiate if price is clearly stated. I can imagine online he is even more brusque with people shooting him offers on BINs. He is also kind of random on $ so I think if you try to explain to him what you think a card is worth/ what the vcp is etc. he is the type of dealer that would think possibly say "Fu this is my price if you don't like it get lost--I will not haggle" kinda thing

Last edited by mintacular; 06-13-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:18 PM
N.ate A.dams

Yep, had a similar experience with him. I even discussed it in a thread on NET54 without mentioning his username. Mine was even more hilarious:

I asked for a back scan (he never provided one) and banned me from making a bid.

He has a screw loose.

Last edited by npa589; 06-13-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Yep, had a similar experience with him. Mine was even more hilarious:

I asked for a back scan (he never provided one) and banned me from making a bid.

He has a screw loose.
Sounds like the guy needs a screwdriver and perhaps a new screw, as this one may have lost its threads.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default OFFERs

I have never had a issue, I have gotten quite a few buybacks from him, probably 20+. Always worked with me on price. His BIN are high, but if offer is reasonable don't see why he would have a hard time with it. He has even held items for me for over a week with no issues.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Jason

Default Sounds like you have the magic touch with this guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp12367 View Post
I have never had a issue, I have gotten quite a few buybacks from him, probably 20+. Always worked with me on price. His BIN are high, but if offer is reasonable don't see why he would have a hard time with it. He has even held items for me for over a week with no issues.
From the other posts here, you seem to be in the minority!
I love the one about being banned for requesting a back scan!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

LOL Not quite sure if it's a Magic Touch
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
N.ate A.dams

hahaha

What's the secret Ralph!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Jeff Emerson

Here is what he has on this about me page.

JED DRINKWINE'S VINTAGE CARDS

Welcome to Jed Drinkwine's Vintage Cards. Ebay has changed much for seller's the past year or so. With higher fee's and almost manditory free shipping we/I have had to up our prices on cards. I will try and give my best price at listing and ship fast and safe for you. Please do not ask me for discounts on cards as Ebay charges me 15% on whatever it sells for. Please do not email asking for back scans. I do not understand the need for a reverse scan of a graded card. You either trust the 3rd party service or you do not. I am not a fan of any guide. I hate VCP Beckett and SMR so please do not email me with completed listing prices or just to tell me what the SMR is on a card. This is rude. My ME page has to sound harsh becaue with Ebay's changes and unfair feedback forum we seller's are blackmailed, bullied, and abused by many buyers about our costs. It's to compansate for the high fee's not to try and gouge a customer. Please email me with any legit concerns or questions as I will be more than happy to help!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 PM
N.ate A.dams

He sounds like Ray Finkle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCOGH--E_80

eBay is Dan Marino to jeddrinkwine's Ray Finkle...

Last edited by npa589; 06-13-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Johnny S

He hates VCP ,Beckett, and SMR but asks you to trust the third party grading company and not show a back scan, makes sense to me. I talked to him for awhile at the National and he seemed like an ok guy. When I saw his Mellow Mint Bender I let him know I was the underbidder on it and he had no qualms letting me know it was his card and he had submitted it and wasn't gonna let it go for under $2500 as it 'wasn't good for the hobby' and also wasn't happy he 'lost' money on it getting it back and then said I could have it for $2600. I politely said since I was underbidder at $1800 in a major auction house I wasn't gonna go any higher and was a little surprised at how open he was about the whole situation and at that point didn't want the card at any price. To each his own I guess........
Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Jeff Gross

This guy seems like a jerk. I never understood how anyone can be that way with a potential customer. Doesn't he realize he is most likely missing out on numerous potential customers? Just by reading these posts, I know I will never buy a thing from him....regardless of the price. Although it sounds like I don't have to worry about missing a deal from him anyway.

Anyone know if he does the Philly Show or the big show in Oaks, PA? I am only 10 minutes from there and would love to put a face to him.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Scott

The guy is an arrogant clown. Ebay charges everyone fees, and if you sell high dollar stuff, its going to happen, that is, pony up the fees. This "my way or the highway" attitude does NOT endear anyone to good repeat customers. Whatever though.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Ben H*ds@n

El Paso!

It just isn't worth my time or money to deal with someone like this! I have blown off higher profile dealers than this guy. IMO, a back scan of a graded card is not asking much. I would much rather deal with a person who is nice and actually wants my business.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Jason Wells

I have bid on cards of his in the pst and now i am glad i never won any.I dont want to do buisness with dealers like this.Thanks for sharing this story.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I remember him from a show. Definitely on the difficult dealers list...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-14-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Daryl

There was a guy at the National last year who flew off the handle when I asked to look through a stack of SLers in midgrade PSA holders. I wonder if that was the same guy?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM
John V.

An excerpt from a thread called "Where are these?" about some 1910 W-unc I replied to on 02/13/2011.... THE SELLER I kept anonymous, well... now you know the rest of the story

"I met the 'individual' that won the Carrigan for $411 or whatever at a show recently... he did indeed put in on EBAY for auction and it sold to someone with over 16000 feedback score, YET, as of this past weekend, he still possesses that very card. Sticker on it is over $800. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm. Out of only 4 bidders, I was one of the 'losing' bidders, and I don't think anyone was gonna win unless it hit a certain unlisted 'reserve', lets say. Funny, small world"

In other words.... he won the Carrigan, tried to sell it, appears to have had someone win it for him, so he would not take a loss, then showed up still owning the card at a show wanting an exorbitant, insane price.... again, small world, as I don't go to card shows, what a rare encounter
Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM

Gee- I thought I was a tough customer to deal with, but he's making me look like a saint. Jed has bought from me on e-bay over the years & pays high on cards he really wants. He knows as a dealer, you make your money by buying, not selling. If you think your buying a card for too much money, then don't buy it. Unless its extremely rare, another one will come around. As far as e-bay fees, if he has an e-bay store, the fees are less, instead of paying the flat rate price of 12%. Being a dealer in this business, you have to have patience with buyers on prices. Everybody wants a bargain. Do your best to keep your customers, not lose them.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 AM
N.ate A.dams

Maybe he really is Ray Finkle. Ya'll are doing nothing to dispel this notion of mine!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Alan U

This thread "almost" makes me want to send an offer with a request for a back scan just to see what type of response I receive.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 AM
N.ate A.dams

Do it!

Then, ask for a side scan.

After that, ask for a corner scan.

Finally, ask that he take a picture of himself holding the card in a pose you specify, just so you know he actually owns the card.

Last edited by npa589; 06-14-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:52 AM
John

Maybe thirty for forty of us should send him a message to "please add me to your blocked bidder list". That will get him thinking.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:08 AM

Is this guy going to be at the National ?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Maybe thirty for forty of us should send him a message to "please add me to your blocked bidder list". That will get him thinking.
Better yet, all ask for the same BIN price as the OP.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 PM
jason w.

No soup cards for you!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 PM
John Michael

Hey, that's really funny, the card nazi.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Reading all this...

I had to test him.

So I sent an offer about $300 below one of his $900 Buy It Nows.

He called me a retard. And then said he made my mom walk funny last night.

I encourage any and all to ask him a question or send an offer. He's nuts, but I love it.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-14-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Johnny S

As long as you don't ask any questions, or mind paying top dollar for card without seeing the back, or if in an auction bidding against him on his own cards he seems to be a great person to deal with. And I can totally see why he is so upset with all the fees as it has to get frustrating paying those on your own cards.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Scott

I saw pictures on a lot of the cards on the backs, and for some, he mentioned what was wrong w the card to merit grade. I didnt want to offer him a low BIN, in case he was gonna accept it.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I had to test him.

So I sent an offer about $300 below one of his $900 Buy It Nows.

He called me a retard. And then said he made my mom walk funny last night.

I encourage any and all to ask him a question or send an offer. He's nuts, but I love it.
Nice one, Paul--I couldn't stop laughing for at least a minute! What a great thread!

Larry
Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Jamie

Just catching up on all this now... fell off my chair as I read a couple of these posts..

not sure why this guy hates dealing with questions.. good to know others had similar stories..

here I was thinking the guy just hated blunder19 .. turns out he just hates anyone who wants to haggle or see back scans and I'm usually guilty of needing both before a large purchase.. oh well no soup for me
Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 PM
N.ate A.dams

lol, i'm loving this.

I looked back and found some of my correspondence with him:

ME:
can I get a scan of the back?

Also, if you're looking to start anew with some sales, let me know the prices of your Cubs T206 cards off e-bay.

Thank you for the quick response,

Nate
Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 11:43 AM
PERSON RESPONDING TO ME (the Seller):

No back scan. They cards are in inventory in my office and I do not have a scanner at my office. Would be a 45 min round trip just to send a scan and then all my profit is gone in gas.

Jeddrinkwine

Me Responding Again:

That I understand. Stupid gas prices.

If there is paper missing from the back, or a mark on the back - then my offer would be much lower - in the range of 30-35 depending how bad the back is. On the Tinker 'bat on' that I got for 35, I really could have offered him lower. There is no limit to how low a Poor can be graded with the card being entirely intact.

When do you go back to your office? Are you off this week?

SELLERS FINAL RESPONSE:

Read my Ebay "Me" page.
We are done here.
Good luck.

-Jeddrinkwine

Jed drinks too much wine.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 PM
jason w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
As long as you don't ask any questions, or mind paying top dollar for card without seeing the back, or if in an auction bidding against him on his own cards he seems to be a great person to deal with. And I can totally see why he is so upset with all the fees as it has to get frustrating paying those on your own cards.
lol
Old 06-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Do it!

Then, ask for a side scan.

After that, ask for a corner scan.

Finally, ask that he take a picture of himself holding the card in a pose you specify, just so you know he actually owns the card.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

you nailed it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
An excerpt from a thread called "Where are these?" about some 1910 W-unc I replied to on 02/13/2011.... THE SELLER I kept anonymous, well... now you know the rest of the story

"I met the 'individual' that won the Carrigan for $411 or whatever at a show recently... he did indeed put in on EBAY for auction and it sold to someone with over 16000 feedback score, YET, as of this past weekend, he still possesses that very card. Sticker on it is over $800. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm. Out of only 4 bidders, I was one of the 'losing' bidders, and I don't think anyone was gonna win unless it hit a certain unlisted 'reserve', lets say. Funny, small world"

In other words.... he won the Carrigan, tried to sell it, appears to have had someone win it for him, so he would not take a loss, then showed up still owning the card at a show wanting an exorbitant, insane price.... again, small world, as I don't go to card shows, what a rare encounter
Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Is this the PSA Boards ??
Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Patrick N.

Default Back Scans

I do agree that it is bad business to not provide back scans. I would however be devil's advocate in saying that he has the right to list a "BIN" for whatever he wants and if there is no "best offer" option than I could understand how a dealer might be annoyed with em's asking for lower prices, especially on a lower $ card.

Likewise, customers quoting past sales vcp etc. would not endear me to that buyer as I'm sure he is aware of those #'s and has chosen to try and sell it for a higher $. Especially with cards these days, many of these dealers need to "buy low, sell high" to make any kind of profit. If they tried to sell everything at " vcp avg." many of them wouldn't make it for long haul.

As stated, I met the guy in person and he was friendly enough--I can see how online it might be more tempting to tell people to "eff off" although this is not really a good idea.

Last edited by mintacular; 06-15-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 AM
N.ate A.dams

You do make good points, and I think all of the sellers feel that way, but we need buyers to meet the prerequisites of being considered a seller.

If this guy keeps it up, he'll be a poster - not a seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
I do agree that it is bad business to not provide back scans. I would however be devil's advocate in saying that he has the right to list a "BIN" for whatever he wants and if there is no "best offer" option than I could understand how a dealer might be annoyed with em's asking for lower prices, especially on a lower $ card.

Likewise, customers quoting past sales vcp etc. would not endear me to that buyer as I'm sure he is aware of those #'s and has chosen to try and sell it for a higher $. Especially with cards these days, many of these dealers need to "buy low, sell high" to make any kind of profit. If they tried to sell everything at " vcp avg." many of them wouldn't make it for long haul.

As stated, I met the guy in person and he was friendly enough--I can see how online it might be more tempting to tell people to "eff off" although this is not really a good idea.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:27 AM
T0NY @

I'm sorry, but once this remark was made to another board member, "He called me a retard. And then said he made my mom walk funny last night" all bets were off in my opinion. Call me a retard, I can take it, but placing ones mother into the conversation warrants any bad remarks this seller receives. No class whatsoever, I don't care how kind he was in person..........
Old 06-15-2011, 08:55 AM

I wonder if he knows this thread exists. Someone should tell him, he might change his business practices and he soon learn his current way isn't good for business.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I have a recollection of this guy....I was following a 33 Goudey card...in a justcollect auction...the card was sold to this guy but mysteriously went back on sale by justcollect a few days later. When i asked what was up I was told that the buyer (jed whatever his name is) hadn't paid for the card. But then I checked his feedback and he had at least one positive feedback from justcollect on cards purchased the same day.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
I'm sorry, but once this remark was made to another board member, "He called me a retard. And then said he made my mom walk funny last night" all bets were off in my opinion. Call me a retard, I can take it, but placing ones mother into the conversation warrants any bad remarks this seller receives. No class whatsoever, I don't care how kind he was in person..........
I agree Tony..very disrespectful and a pretty strange way to treat a potential buyer.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Default jed drinkwater

I have had many good dealings with Jed, and have known him casually for many years. He is very knowledgeable on vintage cards of all sports....I fully support him...but not knowing all the facts, I am hesitant to comment further on this particular blogs message... I do know that Jed's comments concerning PSA, Ebay and some online buyers are also echoed by most sellers at one time or another, including myself....Bruce Perry (Vintagescards)

this blog is about Jed Drinkwine.....I know another guy named Jed Drinkwater....had a mental lapse for a sec....my bad...sorry

Last edited by theuclakid; 06-15-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Jeff

I can honestly say that I have made many offers (some may have been considered low) to many sellers over many years on ebay and off, and none, no not one has ever told me they made my mother walk funny.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuclakid View Post
this blog is about Jed Drinkwine.....I know another guy named Jed Drinkwater....had a mental lapse for a sec....my bad...sorry
Hey, you can't change water into wine. Thanks...you're a lovely audience. Sorry...continue now...
Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Sent him an offer of $1 for one of his cards through best offer yesterday. Hasn't been denied yet.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Shaun Fyffe

was considering sending him a reasonable offer for his '49 Bowman Jackie Robinson... I guess that's off the table at this point.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuclakid View Post

I don't know anything about Jed Drinkwine (or Jed Drinkwater for that matter), he may be lacking in the social skills department. But I can definitely tell you to avoid sending lowball offers to Jed Drinkpiss....he gets downright hostile!!!